Why not more talk about Waveguide damping and/or foam inserts - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 109 Old 07-31-2013, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I know this has been discussed but there seems to be little adoption or clear "how-to" for both horn damping (mass loading the rear) or foam inserts.

I just made a set of seos speakers and my ears must be sensitive (I find all metal domes and all klipsch speakers unlistenable) because the "honk" is just too much for me to handle.

It sounds like the waveguide difracting or somehow "vibrating" - It's hard to put into words but its like reverb of harshness that you don't want reverb-ed.

Long post short:

Are there any (simple) resources on how to dampen/mass load waveguides and what foam to try in them?
Is there some reason these practices are not more widely discussed/used?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 109 Old 07-31-2013, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 68
maybe it's an effect of your room, do you have absorption on first reflection points?

What is the content you are playing? What is your source?
post #3 of 109 Old 07-31-2013, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagstaff View Post

maybe it's an effect of your room, do you have absorption on first reflection points?

What is the content you are playing? What is your source?

I've had many speakers including JTR Quint 8's. Source doesn't matter (blu-ray or TV) its all "honky"

I know it's partially just horns nature and my ears but all I can describe it as is "honk" or harshness.

I am going to have my crossovers professionally made to eliminate that factor but am sure I will still notice the harshness.

I'd like to hope that treating the back of the WG and possibly foam would help but there is so little easy to find info on how to do it. (I've searched)
post #4 of 109 Old 07-31-2013, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 69
You do have "CD" compensation in your crossover for the SEOS, right? (constant directivity waveguides with compression drivers don't have a flat response inherently, it has to be flattened in the crossover or it will sound pretty nasal).
post #5 of 109 Old 07-31-2013, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaslo View Post

You do have "CD" compensation in your crossover for the SEOS, right? (constant directivity waveguides with compression drivers don't have a flat response inherently, it has to be flattened in the crossover or it will sound pretty nasal).

Its not nasal its painful resonance. The speaker is pre designed not one I made up so there is no compensation as side from the crossover design
post #6 of 109 Old 07-31-2013, 08:06 AM

Liked: 16
Which design did you build? Are you sure the crossover is correct? I think why you don't read more about foam and mass loading is most people find the listening experience to be pleasant without them.
post #7 of 109 Old 07-31-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Use open cell foam if you give it a whirl. It'll sound different, but mostly cause it's attenuating the high frequencies more. It'll give it a more laid back sound.

I find Klipsch speakers to sound pretty "honky", but not the SEOS. This is mostly cause the new Klipsch stuff has bright treble to give them a really high apparent sensitivity. Not good.

Like I said to you in PM, as long as those caps in the woofer leg are wired in series, your speaker will not sound right. That cap changes everything at the XO. It's not a matter of a couple db, it's gonna be fairly noticeable. Very noticeable.
post #8 of 109 Old 07-31-2013, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 69
And without the CD comp in the crossover, it's gonna sound terrible (and will emphasize any distortion in the source, making things sound harsh). You can't just slap any crossover on a CD+Waveguide and expect even tolerable results.
post #9 of 109 Old 07-31-2013, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

Use open cell foam if you give it a whirl. It'll sound different, but mostly cause it's attenuating the high frequencies more. It'll give it a more laid back sound.

I find Klipsch speakers to sound pretty "honky", but not the SEOS. This is mostly cause the new Klipsch stuff has bright treble to give them a really high apparent sensitivity. Not good.

Like I said to you in PM, as long as those caps in the woofer leg are wired in series, your speaker will not sound right. That cap changes everything at the XO. It's not a matter of a couple db, it's gonna be fairly noticeable. Very noticeable.

I fixed the capacitors and the sound went down hill. It went from maybe noticeable here and there to somewhat frightening (I was scared to turn up the volume).

I am sending out my crossovers to mtg90 to get fixed... I just hope it doesn't take too long but oh well I shouldn't have even tried to make them.

i will likely use the down time to bondo/putty the back of the horns and look into foam
post #10 of 109 Old 07-31-2013, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaslo View Post

And without the CD comp in the crossover, it's gonna sound terrible (and will emphasize any distortion in the source, making things sound harsh). You can't just slap any crossover on a CD+Waveguide and expect even tolerable results.

The kit is from DIY sound group. It's not off the shelf, it's designed and built for these components.
post #11 of 109 Old 07-31-2013, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

could it be a room flutter issue? is the harshness SPL depended?
horn based speakers manage to excite the room much more easily than conventional mid-low sensitivity ones. at least that's my experience.
post #12 of 109 Old 07-31-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1221
Horns don't 'honk', other than those used on cars and by clowns. What's often referred to as 'honk' is when the sensitivity of the horn is higher than that of the low frequency section, and it has not been properly compensated for via level and EQ adjustments. Another issue can be when the higher frequency dispersion is much narrower than the lower frequency dispersion, which is common in horns. One method to address that is to use a relatively high density foam plug that causes diffraction of the shorter wavelengths, broadening dispersion, while have a lesser or even no effect on longer wavelengths. The cost of so doing is lowered sensitivity, but that can also help to better level match horn loaded highs to the direct radiating lows.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #13 of 109 Old 07-31-2013, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

I know this has been discussed but there seems to be little adoption or clear "how-to" for both horn damping (mass loading the rear) or foam inserts.

I just made a set of seos speakers and my ears must be sensitive (I find all metal domes and all klipsch speakers unlistenable) because the "honk" is just too much for me to handle.

It sounds like the waveguide difracting or somehow "vibrating" - It's hard to put into words but its like reverb of harshness that you don't want reverb-ed.

Long post short:

Are there any (simple) resources on how to dampen/mass load waveguides and what foam to try in them?
Is there some reason these practices are not more widely discussed/used?

While I respect your ambition and open mindedness, I think you may be searching for a solution that doesn't exist or at least will not be sufficient for you. I of course also hope to be wrong, for your sake. smile.gif

I've auditioned (and owned) dozens of horn loaded speakers and have since arrived at the conclusion that their sound isn't for me...and apparently not for the vast, vast, majority of loudspeaker manufacturers and consumers for one reason or another. I (perhaps naively so) think the loudspeaker manufacturers are in the business of producing loudspeakers that sound good as to produce sales and a profit, so it behooves them to do so...never mind the fact that many of them have spent decades and millions of dollars R&D'ing to improve upon previous iterations.

That doesn't mean they all sound bad, some of them have actually sounded quite good, it's just that there appears to me to be many more comparably-priced options that sound better. Of course I'm always open to any new design/adaptation.

Because of their remarkable efficiency and (potentially insane) output, it's not surprising to me that they are wildly popular with the DIY set, I just feel there are superior options out there for most.

Sounds like you may be one of them. No big deal, we have plenty of options.

Good luck with any mods, please report back.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #14 of 109 Old 07-31-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Well if it got worse, either the XO is still wrong or you don't like the speaker. I'm not sure foam will fix that. Once MTG does the XO'ers maybe the problem will be fixed.

Can you describe the sound problem better? Is it high frequency brightness? That can be adjusted pretty easily. Honk is usually referred to in the midrange, right around the XO. A nasally sound in singers. The SEOS12 is very inert, so it's likely a frequency response type thing bothering you. Let us know what the sound is.

Bill W. I didn't use a discrete compensation network on this one, but there is some HF compensation built into the XO. If anything, I'd say I voiced these a little on the bright side because originally guys were gonna use them as surrounds in big systems. And I put an adjustable resistor to take out some brightness if needed. But I'm not sure anyone has ever played with that resistor. It's 2 x 3ohms in parallel. The idea was a user could wire it up and clip out one of the 3ohms if the speaker was to bright. I liked it with 1.5ohm and toed in, but some people may prefer the 3ohms, including the OP.
post #15 of 109 Old 07-31-2013, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

Well if it got worse, either the XO is still wrong or you don't like the speaker. I'm not sure foam will fix that. Once MTG does the XO'ers maybe the problem will be fixed.

Can you describe the sound problem better? Is it high frequency brightness? That can be adjusted pretty easily. Honk is usually referred to in the midrange, right around the XO. A nasally sound in singers. The SEOS12 is very inert, so it's likely a frequency response type thing bothering you. Let us know what the sound is.

Bill W. I didn't use a discrete compensation network on this one, but there is some HF compensation built into the XO. If anything, I'd say I voiced these a little on the bright side because originally guys were gonna use them as surrounds in big systems. And I put an adjustable resistor to take out some brightness if needed. But I'm not sure anyone has ever played with that resistor. It's 2 x 3ohms in parallel. The idea was a user could wire it up and clip out one of the 3ohms if the speaker was to bright. I liked it with 1.5ohm and toed in, but some people may prefer the 3ohms, including the OP.

It is not in high frequencies. There is a certain band.

Lower frequency instruments or more excited/higher frequency voices.

It can get a little painful at times... I may end up getting the completed xovers and just taking the loss on the used market if its just a "horn thing"
post #16 of 109 Old 07-31-2013, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

While I respect your ambition and open mindedness, I think you may be searching for a solution that doesn't exist or at least will not be sufficient for you. I of course also hope to be wrong, for your sake. smile.gif

I've auditioned (and owned) dozens of horn loaded speakers and have since arrived at the conclusion that their sound isn't for me...and apparently not for the vast, vast, majority of loudspeaker manufacturers and consumers for one reason or another. I (perhaps naively so) think the loudspeaker manufacturers are in the business of producing loudspeakers that sound good as to produce sales and a profit, so it behooves them to do so...never mind the fact that many of them have spent decades and millions of dollars R&D'ing to improve upon previous iterations.

That doesn't mean they all sound bad, some of them have actually sounded quite good, it's just that there appears to me to be many more comparably-priced options that sound better. Of course I'm always open to any new design/adaptation.

Because of their remarkable efficiency and (potentially insane) output, it's not surprising to me that they are wildly popular with the DIY set, I just feel there are superior options out there for most.

James

Have you actually heard any of the SEOS designs? The OP is the first that I've read who's having a problem with the sound quality of the SEOS designs. Most have commented on the smoothness of the sound and the ability to play very loud without audible distortion. Wouldn't this imply any tendency to "honk" has been mitigated. Isn't honk distortion? Does live acoustical music honk?
post #17 of 109 Old 07-31-2013, 10:37 AM
pnw

Liked: 32
The foam you're looking for is usually stocked at aquarium supply stores. 30ppi filter foam IIRC. (Personally, I've found a shelving curve like S Linkwitz currently uses tames midrange/low treble harshness...there is no reason to fear EQ if you can use measurement gear.)

post #18 of 109 Old 07-31-2013, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

James

speaker mfg's are trying to sell you speakers that are made as cheaply as possible for as much money as possible. horns are more expensive to make than other models. Compression drivers cost way more than cheap tweeters etc. Horn based speakers also require more building materials to create a larger cab. to think that horns are shunned because of poor audio quality is NUTS.
post #19 of 109 Old 07-31-2013, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajacat View Post

Have you actually heard any of the SEOS designs? The OP is the first that I've read who's having a problem with the sound quality of the SEOS designs. Most have commented on the smoothness of the sound and the ability to play very loud without audible distortion. Wouldn't this imply any tendency to "honk" has been mitigated. Isn't honk distortion? Does live acoustical music honk?

No I have not, but I'm prolly going to build a pair myself in the near future. I don't mean to deride every horn loudspeaker produced. Again, I have just found better options, thus far, personally.

James.

post #20 of 109 Old 07-31-2013, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post

speaker mfg's are trying to sell you speakers that are made as cheaply as possible for as much money. horns are more expensive to make than other models. Compression drivers way more than cheap tweeters etc. Horn based speakers also require more building materials to create a larger cab. to think that horns are shunned because of poor audio quality is NUTS.

That's not what I said. And certainly it's incorrect to say "speaker manufacturers are trying to sell you speakers that are made as cheaply as possible for as much money".

There are cheap speakers made cheaply. There are expensive speakers made with a cost-no object approach. Most fall in the middle and those who do not produce a competitive speaker at any price point won't last long.

"Compression drivers way more than cheap tweeters etc." I have no clue what you're saying/contending, here. Probably that compression drivers are much more expensive than cheap tweeters...but that goes without saying, doesn't it? What about expensive tweeters vs cheap compression drivers? confused.gif

I will say that I've been in more than my fair share of studios and have never seen a horn-driven loudspeaker system. Ever. I'm certain this is not because they cannot afford the price or have the space for a horn loudspeaker.

My inclination is that they are- again- primarily purposed towards applications that require extremely high SPL, efficiency and controlled directivity. And that is- again- not to say that they all sound bad, but just may not offer the characteristics of what many consider to be excellent or "reference" sound.

I don't operate in a world of absolutes. I'm simply giving my personal experience which I consider to be pretty substantial at this point in my life...especially so relative to the typical hobbyist.

James

post #21 of 109 Old 07-31-2013, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I will say that I've been in more than my fair share of studios and have never seen a horn-driven loudspeaker system. Ever. I'm certain this is not because they cannot afford the price or have the space for a horn loudspeaker.

My inclination is that they are- again- primarily purposed towards applications that require extremely high SPL, efficiency and controlled directivity. And that is- again- not to say that they all sound bad, but just may not offer the characteristics of what many consider to be excellent or "reference" sound.

I don't operate in a world of absolutes. I'm simply giving my personal experience which I consider to be pretty substantial at this point in my life...especially so relative to the typical hobbyist.

James

How about these AudioKinesis studio monitors. I suspect that there are many pro studios that use waveguide based speakers. I can hardly go to a concert without seeing waveguide/horn monitors being used.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=99552.0
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=117991.0

...Roy

post #22 of 109 Old 07-31-2013, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I have never seen a movie theater or a concert venue that doesn't use horns.
post #23 of 109 Old 07-31-2013, 01:11 PM

Liked: 10
My quick research into OP's posts in a build thread lead me to believe that there may be an issue with his crossovers.
post #24 of 109 Old 07-31-2013, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djginwis View Post

My quick research into OP's posts in a build thread lead me to believe that there may be an issue with his crossovers.

You may be right but after checking the crossover MANY times... I'm a bit worried I might just not like horns...

Klipsch sounds like painful death to me, maybe I expected too much from these
post #25 of 109 Old 07-31-2013, 01:22 PM

Liked: 10
Certainly everyone has different ears, I hope your project turns out well for you.
post #26 of 109 Old 07-31-2013, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

I've had many speakers including JTR Quint 8's. Source doesn't matter (blu-ray or TV) its all "honky"

I know it's partially just horns nature and my ears but all I can describe it as is "honk" or harshness.

I am going to have my crossovers professionally made to eliminate that factor but am sure I will still notice the harshness.

I'd like to hope that treating the back of the WG and possibly foam would help but there is so little easy to find info on how to do it. (I've searched)
If all those speakers sound wrong to you, have you found any that sounded right? Can you describe your room and gear?

Mike
post #27 of 109 Old 07-31-2013, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face2 View Post

If all those speakers sound wrong to you, have you found any that sounded right? Can you describe your room and gear?

I've heard klipsch i other rooms not mine and hated each more then the first. The Heresy 2 sounded like 2 cats fighting a chalk board to me.

I loved JTR's, they totally lacked the harshness. I thought maybe horns could come close with the right design.

If this is anything else but the crossover then I'm left with 1500 on a credit card and no way to afford other speakers so I sure hope its just the crossover.
post #28 of 109 Old 07-31-2013, 03:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Have you measured your response with the JTR's and with your current speakers?
post #29 of 109 Old 07-31-2013, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Never measured a speaker... I don't do well with dig so measuring is a long shot
post #30 of 109 Old 07-31-2013, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 453
You can always switch over to the Fusion-Pure with the compression driver using the mylar diaphragm.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page