Internal speakers to 3.5mm jack lead? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-31-2013, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HI,

I have recently purchased a all in one amp/sub/speaker add on for my TV (sort of like a soundbar)

I am having problems 'hooking' it up mainly due to the fact that my TV doesn't have an audio output which I didn't think about when buying it.

The all in one system uses a 3.5mm jack input,

My question is, is there a way to splice into the internal speaker wire to connect a 3.5mm jack lead?

I have tried to this but the internal wires are 1 x red 1 x black, and the 3.5 cable I have is 1 x white 1 x red and what I'm guessing is a copper shield? When I attached the red and white to the red and black wires I get sound but I also get a really loud interference noise?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, sorry to ask a question with my first post, long time browser.

Lou x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-31-2013, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Connecting the speaker wires from the TV direct to the 3.5 input of your 'soundbar" would not yield good results. You would need a speaker to line level converter.

if you can solder, search for "DIY speaker to line level converter" basically its made up of 2 resistors per channel.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-01-2013, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
To help understand the solution, you have to understand the applications of each type of connection. A speaker only requires two wires, a positive and a negative (red and black). A 3.5 mm connection has three wires: left, right, and ground. In a pair of headphones, the left and the right go into the positive end of separate speakers and the negative is fed into the ground. It is wired like this:
(Image from www.connecthowto.com)

qguy's suggestion could help, but before I did that I would try turning down the volume on the TV and up on the soundbar. I would also connect the Red Speaker wire from the TV to the White on the 3.5mm cable, and the Black wire to the Copper Ground (shield).

Also, does the system sound fine when using an iPod (or similar device) as the source?
post #4 of 4 Old 08-01-2013, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Does the TV have a headphone jack?

Post the mfg+model of your TV and the speakers, and internet ninjas will help you much more than they can now.

-Max
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page