First attempt at joining some veneer and gluing it up and it went...not great.
I still haven't figured out a great way to hold the veneer when trying to straighten the edge so after my first attempt I haven't gotten a great edge.
That said, even though the edge wasn't that great, it was actually pretty bad but I wanted to try and see how it went, I think you can get by with a lot more of a gap between pieces than I would have thought.
Got them jointed and tried gluing them up layered like this: mdf substrate, veneer, wax paper sheet, mdf, cauls.
However, when I took it out where the the grain was prominent it bubbled:
Looking online this seems like it can be caused by a couple things
1). Not enough pressure - I hope it isn't this or I'm screwed when I go to glue up the final piece
2). Too much glue - I don't think I used too much
3). Too long a clamp time - I left it clamped for like an hour and 5-10 minutes and the clamp time should be 45-60 minutes with 60 apparently being a kind of hard cap so I'm hoping this is the issue
Gonna try again and hopefully next time it goes better hah