It finally begins! The UXL-18 Build - Page 11 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #301 of 323 Old 12-03-2014, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hah, thanks for the replies guys. I do have a buddy who should be able to pick it up for me.

Kinda annoying that I need to get a gallon of the primer/ paint and clear coat though.

One question for you guys (I may make a thread for this one). The instructions I found for matching the Klipsch speakers was to use a #40 sheen lacquer primer, a #40 sheen black lacquer paint and a #40 sheen clear coat.

The store I called said you don't want to prime with a #40 sheen and there is no sheen number on the clear coat. I'm not familiar enough with that kind of detail but anyone know if that makes sense?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 323 Old 12-14-2014, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Still haven't quite figured out what I'm gonna do about paint, but I have a feeling a road trip and construction of a temporary paint booth are in my future.

Anyway, spent the last week cleaning up the speaker to prep for veneer and there wasn't too much work except for the bottom:

I ended up using extra mdf dust mixed with glue to fill in the slightly larger gaps which went pretty well.

I decided to do one last test veneer with 3 pieces:

and it was probably the best piece I've done so far.

I might veneer the bottom tonight but I'm shooting to start veneering the sub this week)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_5419.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	421809   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_5421.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	421817   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_5431.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	421841  
post #303 of 323 Old 12-14-2014, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

And in case you are curious, I'm nervous as **** since there is no going back now buuuuuuuut I'm super excited to move into the next step.
post #304 of 323 Old 12-14-2014, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsho111 View Post
And in case you are curious, I'm nervous as **** since there is no going back now buuuuuuuut I'm super excited to move into the next step.

Don't worry, you can always sand it off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TV 2013 Samsung 75" UN75F6300
AVR 2013 Denon X2000 w/ Audyssey XT
7.2 3 DIY 1099s (LCR), 4 Yamaha NS-IC600WH + 4 Dayton ME820C (SL, SR), 2 DIY OS-MTM (BL, BR)
Subs Two 19Hz DIY Ported UXL-18s + iNuke6000DSP
Calibration CALMAN5, REW, UMIK-1
post #305 of 323 Old 12-20-2014, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

It's happening!!!!!! And also super terrifying.

I got the bottom pieces all set and it's gluing up as we speak.

It took a while getting the veneer down to size enough so I could cut it straight. Unfortunately the veneer wasn't square so I had to be careful to get it lined up right but it came out pretty good:

and the reverse side:

The first piece gluing up as we speak:

I added some marks on the front and back for where the veneer should line up and it was pretty close but not quite exact but I think that's a result of the veneer being completely flat now when it wasn't quite a flat when I was measuring it.

Another tip for anyone else (myself included) I left a lot of excess on the edges since they could be trimmed off pretty easily and it kinda became a headache since the clamps kept hitting the excess. Not a huge deal but mildly terrifying since you constantly hear it cracking. It's easy enough to trim the excess with a pair of scissors so there isn't too much overhang it will be easier to manage

Also, if you need to reposition the veneer after you place it you are better off sliding it instead of trying to pick it up and put it back down. I tried placing it using my marks on the back and noticed they were waaaaaaaaaaaay off so I picked it up and ran around to the other side and I heard some cracks somewhere (but didn't really notice anything). Weirdly though, it will slide around pretty forgivingly so I was able to get everything lined up pretty well.

Another tip, make sure you know where the edges are! After placing the veneer down I went over it with a j roller to try and take some of the air bubbles out and just do a general job of flattening it and a couple times I went over the edge cracking the veneer. I think it should be ok though as I think only the overhang cracked (and not the part on the actual veneer except in the first corner where I did it)

I think it went ok. It takes a long time to pour out enough glue to cover a 25x30 piece of mdf hah. I tried to go over the entire piece with the jroller but I noticed by the time I got from one side to the other the original side had some pieces bubbling up so I just decided to go and clamp it up.

Hopefully everything goes well hah.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SAM_5484.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	433378   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_5473.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	433386   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_5475.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	433394  
post #306 of 323 Old 12-20-2014, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd unfortunately it seems to have gone to ****. It's about as bad as the first piece I did....I took the clamps off and it instantly started bubbling up so I tried the iron to see if that would help and it did a tiny bit but not really enough and during this time everything was still bubbling.

I said **** it and threw the clamps back on and I'm gonna let it dry over night and see how it is in the morning....At least it's the bottom :\

I think the pressure was ok I'm just wondering if it's too humid.
post #307 of 323 Old 12-20-2014, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
Quote:
Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd unfortunately it seems to have gone to ****. It's about as bad as the first piece I did....I took the clamps off and it instantly started bubbling up so I tried the iron to see if that would help and it did a tiny bit but not really enough and during this time everything was still bubbling.

I said **** it and threw the clamps back on and I'm gonna let it dry over night and see how it is in the morning....At least it's the bottom :\

I think the pressure was ok I'm just wondering if it's too humid.

I'm not a master wood craftsmen so take it for what its worth but I've always thought that unless you use paper backed veneer you can't just glue and clamp raw veneer? I know that Nathan from Funk Audio only uses a vacuum press with raw veneer, otherwise he said it'll bubble.
post #308 of 323 Old 12-21-2014, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Hey jbrown, you should use glue and clamps (or a vacuum press) for raw veneer and probably the iron on method for paperbacked veneer.

The caul/clamp method is a pretty common alternative to using a vacuum press. The goal is to get an even distribution of pressure along the entire surface of the veneer. In theory, a a vacuum press is just a bit more convenient since it's easier to get an even distribution.

Anyway, a bit of good news this morning. The veneer settled down alright after leaving the clamps on overnight. It's not the best veneer I've done but it's not nearly as bad as it was and it's acceptable for the bottom. A little sanding should smooth it all out pretty evenly.

Just gotta trim it up and move on to the back...which hopefully goes a lot smoother
post #309 of 323 Old 12-21-2014, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Can't really look back now so I trimmed up the veneer with the whiteside downcut bit I got and it cuts like a hot knife through butter. I hooked it up to my slightly larger router platform which makes keeping it secure and level a lot easier.

So, it totally doesn't pass the touch test but it doesn't look too terrible from a couple feet away.

My big concern for what might have happened is that I got my best results in test with the cauls on both sides directly against the piece I was trying to veneer. Since I'm trying to veneer after completing the build I can't directly press against the opposite side of the panel. I am using cauls on the opposite side of the box but I'm not sure if it would be enough to apply the right counter-pressure.

I'm gonna try doing the back today and we'll see how that goes. If it goes really poorly I might just say f it and apply some laminate to the rest and leave the back and bottom as a terrible reminder.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SAM_5487.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	434178   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_5490.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	434186  
post #310 of 323 Old 12-21-2014, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Didn't get a chance to do the back tonight since I accidentally set the depth poorly on the router trying to clean up one edge and ended up taking out some of the mdf so I gotta fill that.

I'm gonna try gluing up the back tomorrow and if that goes like crap too I'm gonna remove the 2 pieces of veneer I have on it and just throw something like vinyl from parts express on it and call it a day.

I'd rather use their black ash but it's discontinued and I was gonna fall back to their black textured vinyl but it looks like that just sold out....

Maybe I'll just paint the damn thing black.

I'm having some major concerns about how the back is going to come out...I really think I'm running into issues because I can't clamp both sides of the panel I'm trying to veneer since the sub is already built...Someone has to have done this before though...Most threads I see are of people veneering after assembly but maybe that's just iron on.

Kinda sucks and I'm getting to the point where I just might leave it as unfinished mdf and say **** it and mark it done.

I can pretty much guarantee I'm gonna throw in the towel if the back goes as poorly as the bottom did and I have a bad feeling it is.
post #311 of 323 Old 01-01-2015, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Happy holidays everyone!

To solve the issues I had with the bottom I decided to go with the strategy of 'moar everything.' for the back. I used more cauls, doubled up the platens and left it clamped for 6 hours. I also cut down the piece a bit more so there wasn't too much extra over the edge.

Glue up went pretty smooth and the alignment went well but once I put down the veneer the edges started curling up like crazy which never happened before. I tried using the roller to keep it down but no luck. I said f it and threw the platen on and prayed haha.

After removing the platens (and the lengthwise strips of tape). You can see a couple cracks but they are almost completely over the edge and were removed when trimming the veneer:

and trimming everything. I still need to do the screw holes but I haven't decided if I'm gonna recess it a bit so I'm gonna hold of for now

All and all it went pretty well. It went about as well as my second best glue up. I think I didn't use quite enough glue and I might still be running into issues getting enough pressure on the backside. The portions of the veneer that are over the bracing on the inside (or the edges) are a bit more flat than the some other sections.

A bit of sanding and I don't think you'd notice though.

Annoyingly, I want to try and do 8 cauls on the long side pieces and I'm one clamp short. My Irwin clamps reach but they don't have enough pressure to clamp down the cauls completely.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SAM_5524.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	454370   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_5534.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	454378   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_5537.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	454386  
post #312 of 323 Old 01-19-2015, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Glued up one of the sides, got some more "meh" results:

This looks way better in this picture than it actually is

And starting the glue up of the other side:

On this side I focused a bit more on trying to 'flatten' the veneer before putting the plattens on so we'll see how that goes.

On the bottom piece I used 7 cauls and I decided to add one more. I had to pick up one more clamp so I decided to pick up a Jergenson f-clamp which annoyingly is made in china now and holy crap it's TERRIBLE.

The other 3 I'm using are made in the USA and I can't clamp the new one nearly as much and the bar is still flexing 3 times more than the USA ones

4 down...2 to go
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SAM_5588.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	489066   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_5592.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	489074   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_5594.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	489082  
post #313 of 323 Old 01-20-2015, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

GUYS! I finally got one panel that doesn't suck!

Granted, this probably looks like all the other pics, so you'll just have to believe me.

I just snapped a quick pick but I still gotta trim it.

I hope it's related to me taking some time to try flattening out the veneer after applying it. What I had been doing was just placing it and aligning it then throwing the platens on. This time I took a minute or two to try flattening it out using the roller until it settled a bit before putting on the platens.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SAM_5596.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	492081  
post #314 of 323 Old 01-26-2015, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 8
looking great man!

hows that veneer coming along??
post #315 of 323 Old 01-26-2015, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Alright, I got both sides and the top done (I still need to trim the top though). One of the sides had a section that came out pretty poorly though. There was also some chaos when doing the top which I'll get into later

I'll try and post some more pictures tonight
post #316 of 323 Old 01-26-2015, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Aaaaaand pics from veneering the top. Normally what I do is scuff sand the side I'm gonna veneer, wipe it down with a tack cloth and then apply the glue and veneer. I usually just brush the bottom side of the veneer to get anything big off it it.

I did the normal steps and laid down the glue and instead of just brushing off the veneer I shook it a bit and it looks like this veneer is a lot more brittle than the other half of the sheets I got so I got a ton of cracks along the bottom doing this. One of them was like 10 inches long. I laid the piece down and started applying veneer tape to try and fix the cracks. This was taken after applying the veneer(but before trimming it) and everywhere you see veneer tape (except the major joints) there was a crack.

Thankfully you can't even tell there were cracks anywhere. In this picture, if you look closely where some of the tape was the wood was a little brown. I think it was actually rotted at this spot so it cracked REALLY easily

Not too bad, I did get some rip out on the edges though (there is a piece that got ripped off that I taped on to try and fix later). I think I didn't get much glue along some of the edges or it just didn't get very good adhesion. It's looks like a bit much in a couple places but I think it should be a pretty straight forward fix.

Here is a quick picture of three of the sides from the back.

Once again, it looks WAY better in pictures than it is in person. It's not too bad but if you angle it under the light it's pretty easy to see the veneer isn't completely flat.

I'm debating whether I want to try and sand it to smooth it out a bit more (I'll probably sand through the veneer at some point) or just say f' it and leave it
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SAM_5602.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	505265   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_5604.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	505273   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_5606.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	505281  
post #317 of 323 Old 02-15-2015, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Been busy the last few weeks but finally got a shot to do the front panel. My plan was to join the pieces and cut out a circle in the center so I could get some back pressure on the back side of the front panel to hopefully get a better veneer up.

I cut 2 circles in the top platen and traced out and cut the circle in the veneer:

Laid up the piece and this was my clamp plan:

Aligning the veneer went pretty well and I started clamping everything up and when I was finished clamping everything I went to check how the veneer lined up (I had alignment marks on the bottom).

Aaaaaand chaos....I used a lot of glue so when I was clamping up the veneer it shifted A LOT. It had shifted like 1 inch vertically (which isn't too big a deal) but also rotated a little so the alignment marks were off by like 1/4".

After much swearing and throwing off all the clamps I tried to see if I could shift the veneer a bit but no luck and by this point it started bubbling a lot so I said **** it and threw all the clamps back on.

Normally I trim the excess to make final trimming a bit easier but thankfully I didn't this time or I wouldn't have had enough to cover the panel after the shift.

Hopefully it doesn't come out too terrible once it's done....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SAM_5610.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	547865   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_5612.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	547873   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_5618.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	547881  
post #318 of 323 Old 02-21-2015, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 8
so..many..clamps..

this is coming along nicely though
post #319 of 323 Old 02-22-2015, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Got the front panel trimmed up and it didn't come out too bad but the veneer is shifted about an 1/8"

Annoyingly my initial thoughts about why some of the panels were a little wavy was true: I couldn't get good pressure on the backside. This panel, despite all the chaos (and the misalignment), pretty much came out perfect.

I trimmed the outside and baffle and did a rough pass with a 1/2" roundover bit where the ports go. I still need to trim up the screw holes or use my slot cutter to recess it a bit (still not sure which I'm gonna go with). I taped up the inside to try and help too much dust from getting inside.

Here you can see where the joints should line up:

You can't tell unless you are really looking for it. The grain didn't line up perfectly with the correct alignment (the grain curved a bit) but it does look a little weirder not line up.

While I was working on this I cut out another baffle to get a perfect fit. The other one was a little too thin and I'm going to be using dowels/magnets to attach it so this should help with the fit.

I haven't decided if I'm gonna try and attach the cloth grill with adhesive or go with staples. I already have both
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SAM_5625.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	561705   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_5631.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	561721   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_5629.jpg
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	561729   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_5633.jpg
Size:	242.2 KB
ID:	561737  
post #320 of 323 Old 02-22-2015, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Looking good. Kudos for figuring out a good way to get the diameter of the PVC down to fit the Pport. Rabbet bit is a great idea! I got a kick out of the "Cancer Mountain" photo. Had a similar photo just a few days back from making MDF rings.
post #321 of 323 Old 02-23-2015, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a question that I don't think is directed at you personally but more to everybody. Having never done veneer I was wondering why you couldn't just use contact cement like you would putting formica on a countertop? Just curious. I would think it would hold better and prevent the bubbling.

Sent with no malice and not a whole lot of forethought from my new Galaxy Tab 4. Thanks Santa!
post #322 of 323 Old 02-23-2015, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

No problem about the question.

You can use contact cement when veneering but it has a few drawbacks (granted, pretty much every application method has pros and cons). You have significantly less open time with contact cement than glue. Glue is a lot more stable over time so you run into less issues with expansion/contraction and lifting veneers. You generally shouldn't use contact cement with raw veneer. I think contact cement also has a longer drying time than glue

That said, there are numerous people out there who have used contact cement with none of these issues.
MattB101 likes this.
post #323 of 323 Unread Today, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
No problem about the question.

You can use contact cement when veneering but it has a few drawbacks (granted, pretty much every application method has pros and cons). You have significantly less open time with contact cement than glue. Glue is a lot more stable over time so you run into less issues with expansion/contraction and lifting veneers. You generally shouldn't use contact cement with raw veneer. I think contact cement also has a longer drying time than glue

That said, there are numerous people out there who have used contact cement with none of these issues.
Thanks.

Sent while sitting on my busted butt. Stay off the ice if you can't skate. I can't and didn't. 😡
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
Behringer Europower Ep4000 Professional Amplifier , Qsc Rmx1450 Power Amplifier
Gear in this thread - Ep4000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page