It's happening!!!!!! And also super terrifying.
I got the bottom pieces all set and it's gluing up as we speak.
It took a while getting the veneer down to size enough so I could cut it straight. Unfortunately the veneer wasn't square so I had to be careful to get it lined up right but it came out pretty good:
and the reverse side:
The first piece gluing up as we speak:
I added some marks on the front and back for where the veneer should line up and it was pretty close but not quite exact but I think that's a result of the veneer being completely flat now when it wasn't quite a flat when I was measuring it.
Another tip for anyone else (myself included) I left a lot of excess on the edges since they could be trimmed off pretty easily and it kinda became a headache since the clamps kept hitting the excess. Not a huge deal but mildly terrifying since you constantly hear it cracking. It's easy enough to trim the excess with a pair of scissors so there isn't too much overhang it will be easier to manage
Also, if you need to reposition the veneer after you place it you are better off sliding it instead of trying to pick it up and put it back down. I tried placing it using my marks on the back and noticed they were waaaaaaaaaaaay off so I picked it up and ran around to the other side and I heard some cracks somewhere (but didn't really notice anything). Weirdly though, it will slide around pretty forgivingly so I was able to get everything lined up pretty well.
Another tip, make sure you know where the edges are! After placing the veneer down I went over it with a j roller to try and take some of the air bubbles out and just do a general job of flattening it and a couple times I went over the edge cracking the veneer. I think it should be ok though as I think only the overhang cracked (and not the part on the actual veneer except in the first corner where I did it)
I think it went ok. It takes a long time to pour out enough glue to cover a 25x30 piece of mdf hah. I tried to go over the entire piece with the jroller but I noticed by the time I got from one side to the other the original side had some pieces bubbling up so I just decided to go and clamp it up.
Hopefully everything goes well hah.