It finally begins! The UXL-18 Build - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 276 Old 10-13-2013, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Updated design with the spline Steve and grave suggested. It's 3" deep and should fit without a problem.

I could also combine that with some pieces connecting the front and back. Due to the required port clearance they are only 1.5-2 inches away from the sides of the box, so I'm not sure how much they would add:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 276 Old 10-13-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Just read the entire thread. Very nice build.

Use wheels for the feet. Lol.

FS- Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #93 of 276 Old 10-13-2013, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I thought about it for a bit but since it's not going to move much feet should be fine.

I am building it on a dolly so I can move it around to make assembly a bit easier.
post #94 of 276 Old 10-13-2013, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 427
Looks great! Top braces are fine, (if you go with them put them edge up and same bottom braces) just like the back, but without them nothing is missed. cool.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #95 of 276 Old 10-14-2013, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsho111 View Post

I could also combine that with some pieces connecting the front and back. Due to the required port clearance they are only 1.5-2 inches away from the sides of the box, so I'm not sure how much they would add:

Too close to the edge to do any good.
post #96 of 276 Old 10-14-2013, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1356
Quote:
Originally Posted by nograveconcern View Post

Too close to the edge to do any good.
True, and the spline braces on the back are almost a waste of wood, as they barely stiffen it. Splines are better than nothing, where you can't use anything else, but have about a quarter the effectiveness as panel to panel.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #97 of 276 Old 10-14-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Splines are better than nothing, where you can't use anything else, but have about a quarter the effectiveness as panel to panel.

I believe that’s the fix that the OP is in, do you have a better suggestion? one that can be used in the future when a guy comes across this issue.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #98 of 276 Old 10-14-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

You could take one of the top braces (discard the other) and put it on edge with cutting it to size to fit in-between the braces and run it down the top middle and bottom middle from baffle to back. It would be nice to get one in the middle back though.

EDIT> For practical purposes two braces like this would give you much more surface aria and do the trick. You would need to slot one of them so you could put them in as a cross. We are again talking about taking up more space so you might elect to router out some material. This worked on one of my projects quite well though.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #99 of 276 Old 10-14-2013, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Ya, Bill, I know it's not the best. I actually had a bracing idea similar to this a while ago but threw it out due to the poor bracing/material ratio.

I'd love to do something better, but I don't think I really have many options at this point. The ports being in the middle of the box doesn't help with the bracing.

Steve/Grave here is an updated picture of what I think both of you are talking about. This keeps the 3" bracing in the back but adds some rails connecting it to the front. I removed the front piece and the upper right port to hopefully make it clear. Ignore the stuff in the background, that's some older (more crazy) bracing ideas I had.

I think I could design some proper bracing that connects the back panel to the back bracing and the front panel to the front bracing. Would that work without adding anything to the middle section?? Is the main issue something needs to run completely from the front to the back?
post #100 of 276 Old 10-15-2013, 12:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Steve/Grave here is an updated picture of what I think both of you are talking about. This keeps the 3" bracing in the back but adds some rails connecting it to the front. I removed the front piece and the upper right port to hopefully make it clear. Ignore the stuff in the background, that's some older (more crazy) bracing ideas I had.

Yes that is what I was trying to convey except I would go 4-5” on the back on edge. Your pervious pic relates that. If you were to go that route, what I would suggest is slotting the back braces so they lock into each other. It would help add riggety to your back bracing. Although we talked about it, the side and top rail really wouldn’t add any integrity to the back brace itself, I brought it up more as to suffice. It would add more integrity to the other panels, but you really don’t need it since it’s been addressed with the 6 point bracing.
Quote:
I think I could design some proper bracing that connects the back panel to the back bracing and the front panel to the front bracing. Would that work without adding anything to the middle section?? Is the main issue something needs to run completely from the front to the back?

Yes create a simple load bearing brace back to front. You can go with something as simple as just to address the middle of your back brace and save internal volume (make it beefy enough though) or go more aggressive. You will be backing out the side, top and bottom rail I presume, so that’ll help free up a little internal volume. Whatever you do come up with, it does have to go front to back for it to be optimal or be possibly of any use. This is your assignment hotsho, if you should decide to accept Hint.. Y

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #101 of 276 Old 10-15-2013, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Your left, right, top and bottom are all braced perfectly so those extra strips are not adding anything to those panels. They don't add anything to the back panel because they only connect at the corner.

In order to connect the back panel to anything useful you must do it at about the 1/3 point of the panel. It then needs to connect to the front somehow. The hash shaped braces are not rigid in the front to back dimension so you can't connect to one of them and call it good.

Something along these lines is as good as it gets without tying into the front panel. The hash braces would connect right at the elbow of those arms.

You will need one vertical too. I didn't draw all that in. I'm not even sure the arms, after they connect to the side walls, are adding anything to the design.

There is one other way you could do this. It will take me a minute to get it drawn.
post #102 of 276 Old 10-15-2013, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Ok, something like this with 1" broom handle and angled pieces of mdf between the last hash brace and the baffle to clear the driver.

post #103 of 276 Old 10-15-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 1031
this is bracing gone wild. eek.gif

Listen. It's All Good.
post #104 of 276 Old 10-15-2013, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

this is bracing gone wild. eek.gif

LOL Someone needs to write a book.. One hundred and one ways to brace your subwoofer . We want to be sure it’s the right way though. So far they all have their weaknesses except to say I like the first one nograv posted which pertains to the pic I posted. For practical purposes it would work just fine if the OP elects. That beeing that.. wink.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #105 of 276 Old 10-15-2013, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Braced like a bird of prey!

post #106 of 276 Old 10-15-2013, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Braced like a bird of prey!

biggrin.gif You godda be youger than me smile.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #107 of 276 Old 10-15-2013, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Ok, something like this with 1" broom handle and angled pieces of mdf between the last hash brace and the baffle to clear the driver.

I wish I could do that but the ports are in the way in the center (since I need to leave clearance).

I have an idea, no idea how well it would work, but I'll try and sketch it up later today.

It's gonna kinda involve bracing around the center ports...
post #108 of 276 Old 10-15-2013, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I wish I could do that but the ports are in the way in the center (since I need to leave clearance).

I don't believe that a piece of broom handle next to each port flare will restrict the airflow by any discernible amount. I left out most of your # bracing because it's a pain to draw. This should make it more clear.

post #109 of 276 Old 10-15-2013, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't believe that a piece of broom handle next to each port flare will restrict the airflow by any discernible amount. I left out most of your # bracing because it's a pain to draw. This should make it more clear.

Looking good.. A question I would have is weather the broom handle bracing would be better than a rake handle bracing? That might take some physics to determine, and of course there is always the shovel handle bracing to consider in the mix. wink.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #110 of 276 Old 10-15-2013, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, good point. More testing of handle dynamics and resonation coefficients is definitely required. My money is on tamper handles though.
steve nn likes this.
post #111 of 276 Old 10-15-2013, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

How thick do you recommend for the dowels, 1 inch still?

The only concern I have adding them is if it does have a negative effect I can't really go back.

I'll sketch someting up tonight.
post #112 of 276 Old 10-15-2013, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

How thick do you recommend for the dowels, 1 inch still?

The only concern I have adding them is if it does have a negative effect I can't really go back.

I'll sketch someting up tonight.

Yeah, broom handle is significantly cheaper than dowels. They come in 2 sizes at my local HD. The skinny ones have a metal threaded portion on the end and the fatter ones are tapered at the end. The skinnies measure .945". I keep several on hand for box building and a tamper handle for braining zombies...you know, just in case. biggrin.gif

Ok, enough dowel measuring. eek.gif
gw742296 likes this.
post #113 of 276 Old 10-15-2013, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 305
There will be no negative effect with the dowels or any of the other bracing. Use 1" or 3/4". I still say everyone is blowing this WAY out of proportion. Although your braces may be lacking a bit, it's not as if your box will be junk.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #114 of 276 Old 10-15-2013, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

+1

Far from junk for sure! cool.gif
post #115 of 276 Old 10-15-2013, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

Yeah, broom handle is significantly cheaper than dowels. They come in 2 sizes at my local HD. The skinny ones have a metal threaded portion on the end and the fatter ones are tapered at the end. The skinnies measure .945". I keep several on hand for box building and a tamper handle for braining zombies...you know, just in case. biggrin.gif

Ok, enough dowel measuring. eek.gif

OK, that cracked me up:)

post #116 of 276 Old 10-15-2013, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
I still say everyone is blowing this WAY out of proportion. Although your braces may be lacking a bit, it's not as if your box will be junk

Aint that the truth rolleyes.gif uh box with four holes in it biggrin.gif although important.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #117 of 276 Old 10-15-2013, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

I still say everyone is blowing this WAY out of proportion. Although your braces may be lacking a bit, it's not as if your box will be junk.

Haha thanks. The bracing thread I made a few months ago got the green light from everyone :\

I was wondering, what happens in an under-braced box?

Also, some design updates using some of everyone's ideas. Dowels are 1 inch diameter and the front panel bracing is 2 inches tall

Directly from the front so you can see the spacing between the dowels and ports. Not sure how well you can see that number, but it says 1-11/32
post #118 of 276 Old 10-15-2013, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Dude it's a ported box. Your bracing is fine.............

FS- Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #119 of 276 Old 10-15-2013, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Despite all the crap going on, wanted to share some minor progress. Did the final port dry fit and it looks good. Everything's secured down with the loop clamps and blocks and it all lines up.

post #120 of 276 Old 10-15-2013, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Looking good! If you were to go with your last bracing option, the only thing I would add to it is a 3/4 thick MDF 4” disk between your doweling and the back and call it good. Your baffle is braced, sides, top, back and bottom. Not 6 point on the back but close.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
Behringer Europower Ep4000 Professional Amplifier , Qsc Rmx1450 Power Amplifier
Gear in this thread - Ep4000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page