Active SEOS? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-05-2013, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Hey.

I see a lot of these SEOS speakers and find them really interesting. However I would like to know if there are any completed and documented active designs to look over? I am not sure if it is even necessary to go active, but I always found active designs interesting from a technical perspective and in combination with a 2way, wave guide type speaker i envision the possibility of a very high performance speaker that wont break the bank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-05-2013, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I've had a SEOS 15 with 350 driver and a TD15M woofer running biamped (actually tri-amped if you include the powered subs). I used a MiniDSP for the crossover. If you put together that arrangement, I can give you the MiniDSP file for it. Pretty trivial to come up with it yourself, though, (via trial and error) if you have a way to measure response. DSP crossover gives the major advantage of having delay being adjustable too, so if the drivers can reach to crossover frequency, getting it all to play isn't difficult.

I used 100W ICE amplifiers for the woofers, and some 50W T-amplifiers for the HF drivers. Worked very well.

DIY Synergy horn spreadsheet http://libinst.com/SynergyCalc/
XSim -free crossover designer and simulator http://libinst.com/Xsim/XSimSetup.exe
post #3 of 6 Old 08-05-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 659
I've done active on a few. Nothing to really study though. AVScienceSales went active on his TD12 SEOS 12 build. There's a few others I think but not much.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-05-2013, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 180
I will be able to provide some info soon. I am using AE TD15M duals with the SEOS24 and BMS4594 CD. The CD will most likely be passive, but active from there to the woofers. Check out the seosr thread and I will pdate you once we have some details too.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-06-2013, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 172
I will be going active with my Seos-15/BMS-4550/JBL2226. This is my first time setting up an active crossover, and I have been doing tons of research on this subject, enough so that I feel confident that I can get some decent sound quality. I will be using EP1.5k's for my LCR's and EQ'ung will be via a MiniDsp, or I may be going with a trio of iNuke1000dsp amps. Also, I am still debating on which measurement devices that I am going to use.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-06-2013, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I would lean towards the Mini-DSP.

Mike
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page