SubMaximus -- A Large Front-Loaded Horn for UXL18 and Stereo Integrity HT 18" - Page 18 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #511 of 520 Old 03-28-2015, 07:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
You are in NoVa? Where is this shop that you speak of???
Laurel MD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 520 Old 03-28-2015, 08:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by klipsch View Post
The "they" is a fellow AVS member. I won't post prices in case he charged me more or less than others. He took the components in the sketchup files and translated then from 3d to 2.5d g code.
OK. I've been reading a dozen or so posts and it looks like a couple of people (e.g., gorilla) are years ahead of me with the same approach... instead of complete flat packs, the side panels are usually the most important/trickiest, 3/4" routed paths with maybe a ~1/8" depth groove for panel guides, maybe with a slightly deeper center trough/ditch as a guide for the PL nozzle bead line, baffle center (or have the circle cut out for the preferred driver or minimum radius driver or easily adjustable radius or variant files for various drivers, some basic panel labeling.

At this point, it's faster for me to cut the panels manually. But CNC has always been on my list of things to learn. I'd like to support any local small shops or start-ups that can provide tools, facilities, and services for the maker community. And I'd like to contribute to an AVS DIY library of CNC-ready sketchup designs and a geographic list of shops that can route the designs at reasonable rates.

My younger son is big into HS robotics so we might try a DIY CNC, but I'd love to jump straight into a 4x8 router table... except for a few restrictions (like lack of time, money, space, and knowledge) .
post #513 of 520 Old 03-28-2015, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Great to see this thread get a bump. I am trying to design a FLH with the same BW as an Othorn and going to try and do a fold like the Maximus subwoofer. Always nice to see another great design by LTD.
post #514 of 520 Old 03-28-2015, 08:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 1498
Run your design by lilMike ^ for quick look see. Worth it. I've come to trust his opinion on horns, he's learned a lot from his own mistakes And experiences.
post #515 of 520 Old 03-28-2015, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked: 1477
Quote:
Originally Posted by klipsch View Post
Ironically Erich stopped the Anarchy horn design because he was losing money on the shipping...and that is a very very small horn for a 6.5" driver

The DTS-10 were kits from Danley. How much was shipping and such for those? I would imagine the work for Erich to do for a horn that had a 10" driver would be extremely difficult.

I personally just had 3 sealed subs created at a local CNC. I made the designs myself in sketchup and had those components cut via the CNC. I can do the work with a router and table saw, but instead of taking several days of measuring, cutting, gluing, sanding, dry fitting, etc., I spent about 4 hours total to go to a lumber yard, put the 6 sheets of plywood on a machine and watch it cut the sheets. I then had the 3 boxes assembled back at my house that same day.

Where there is a will, there is a way ... that is all part of the DIY spirit in my opinion.
sweet.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #516 of 520 Old 03-28-2015, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked: 1477
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post
Great to see this thread get a bump. I am trying to design a FLH with the same BW as an Othorn and going to try and do a fold like the Maximus subwoofer. Always nice to see another great design by LTD.

BW like the othorn shouldn't require lots of back and forth inside the horn. post up a sketch and give me a shout when ready. interested to see what you cook up.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #517 of 520 Old 03-28-2015, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Trying to get the horn size down to fit a certain size. Right now TB46 is helping me fit the design and he is folding it. I am trying to learn the basics and proceed from there but it takes me a long time using Sketchup and going from there. Long time.

SO far the design is about 680l. There are a few other designs models that I have that look good but I will just send you a PM LTD02. Still refining things but I also dont want to take this great design off track.
post #518 of 520 Old 03-28-2015, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 32
can we use SI HST18 for this FLH ?
post #519 of 520 Old 03-29-2015, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 80
John,

Do you have a plot of the Submaximus vs the F20 handy?
I have SH18's and the JBl 15 are easily obtainable.
I was thinking Marty or similar size ported cab for the HT18's, I may rethink.

Thanks

Gary

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
post #520 of 520 Old 03-30-2015, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence View Post
OK. I've been reading a dozen or so posts and it looks like a couple of people (e.g., gorilla) are years ahead of me with the same approach... instead of complete flat packs, the side panels are usually the most important/trickiest, 3/4" routed paths with maybe a ~1/8" depth groove for panel guides, maybe with a slightly deeper center trough/ditch as a guide for the PL nozzle bead line, baffle center (or have the circle cut out for the preferred driver or minimum radius driver or easily adjustable radius or variant files for various drivers, some basic panel labeling.

At this point, it's faster for me to cut the panels manually. But CNC has always been on my list of things to learn. I'd like to support any local small shops or start-ups that can provide tools, facilities, and services for the maker community. And I'd like to contribute to an AVS DIY library of CNC-ready sketchup designs and a geographic list of shops that can route the designs at reasonable rates.

My younger son is big into HS robotics so we might try a DIY CNC, but I'd love to jump straight into a 4x8 router table... except for a few restrictions (like lack of time, money, space, and knowledge) .
Here are three shots of the DO design ... top and bottom panels are identical ... cutout panels are identical ... bracing panels are identical ... sides are the same with the exception that one size has the cutout for the speakon terminals. To cut the panels for two of these boxes was like 100 minutes ...

Looking at the sketchup file for the submaximus, I think the side panels and driver panel are really the only panels a CNC could speed up dramatically. However, those are huge pieces to move ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	do18.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	635265   Click image for larger version

Name:	do18b.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	635273   Click image for larger version

Name:	do18a.jpg
Views:	31