Zaph ZA5 Center Channel Build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 08-09-2013, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First try at a build with a table saw. It's in progress...all photos by iPhone 5. I messed up on one of the internal braces, supposed to centered a little more but nothing huge. The crossover was confusing because it was too big or something. In the pics I had to cut off a corner. Sanding is next! Not sure if I want to paint or veneer. I plan on using the ZA5 for a 7.1 surround sound with a 15 or 18 inch sub.

FYI I'm slow so at these DIY speakers smile.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-09-2013, 10:51 AM

Liked: 12
Looking really good (with my limited DIY experience smile.gif). I've been considering using the Zaph center & the ZA5.5 towers for my HT. I'd love to read your impressions once completed.
post #3 of 12 Old 08-09-2013, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Nice build. Great attention to details. What will you be powering those with ?
post #4 of 12 Old 08-09-2013, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Good question haha...I'm currently trying to find a good solution. I believe the center channel will be my only 4 ohm speaker. I'm trying to find other owner solutions.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-10-2013, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Do you already have the Zaphaudio mains?
post #6 of 12 Old 08-10-2013, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Nope. First speaker, those will come after though! smile.gif
post #7 of 12 Old 08-10-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 37
So, eventually there will be a whole set of these speakers. I bet a nice Denon or Onkyo receiver will power them fine. Better yet, get a receiver with pre outs, so later an amplifier upgrade will be easy...... Receiver as a Prepro is the best money spent.....
post #8 of 12 Old 08-11-2013, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post

So, eventually there will be a whole set of these speakers. I bet a nice Denon or Onkyo receiver will power them fine. Better yet, get a receiver with pre outs, so later an amplifier upgrade will be easy...... Receiver as a Prepro is the best money spent.....

That's what I'm thinking about doing, but these speakers cost more than planned so we'll see...

Here's some more progress!

post #9 of 12 Old 08-11-2013, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 57
It is amazing how the cost's add up. DIY is not always less expensive, but it is fun and for me there is a huge amount of pride and satisfaction involved. Brand name speakers are actually a huge bargain when you realize what goes into their design and production. Have you decided on a finish for the outside of the speaker ?

When I built my first set of speakers I searched around for a decent vinyl to cover them in but the only thing I could find that was of decent quality was the 3M Di NOC which is about the same price as wood veneer so I went with the wood veneer. Its been a year with no signs of it lifting which is good since I had no idea what I was doing. biggrin.gif
On my first project I used PSA and it worked really good but its tricky to do on my own . On the second set I used paper backed veneer and contact cement applied with a foam brush and it worked really good .
post #10 of 12 Old 08-13-2013, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter

Ok so I'm thinking about going with a matte black or black gloss finish. Veneer looks awesome and classy but eventually I'm going to want to paint the walls black for a home theatre. That being said, I'm pretty sure the technique to get a good finish is something like filler - sand - prime - sand - paint - sand - paint....with each sanding step using finer and finer grit paper. I have no idea what type of primer or paint to use other than the primer being oil based. I bought some rustoleum lacquer and some primer last night to test out before I apply. Keep in mind I'm not going to spend out the wazoo for some automotive paint, just wanna get the best for some spray can local.

Any paint type/brand suggestions?? smile.gif
post #11 of 12 Old 08-13-2013, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 68
if you're doing black gloss you need to put a lot more filler on and sand it perfectly flat, or you will see all the lines.
post #12 of 12 Old 08-13-2013, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Agreed!...I'm leaning towards matte though. It's more in line with my thinking of making these speakers a transparent part of the home theatre experience. Don't want something shiny below the screen! Although gloss does look super cool B)

http://www.ohio.edu/people/schneidw/audio/zaph_zdt_35.html

^^I'm looking to do something along the lines of the painting section in the link above. I know that requires buying a compressor sprayer, which I literally just said I don't want to shell out for smile.gif, but the results look so fantastic. I have a compressor btw so I won't be buying that too haha
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page