DIY Speakers - Where to start? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 08-09-2013, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So first, I would like to give a big shout out to all the people who have helped me with the info on the DIY subwoofers. I really appreciate all the helpful people around here.

Having said that, I am afraid you have infected me with the bug. Now I feel I need to build the speakers, too, in order to maximize value. Crossovers and what not scare me, but that is still a bit off as I am not even sure what the different types (numbers) mean. I am thinking about the SEOS kits from Erich, and I see a lot of people using them in builds, but I can't really find anything that talks about WHY they chose the set they did (what the numbers mean in terms of performance/sound type/etc).

The HT will be used mostly for movies, and I am trying to decide between the Marantz AV7005 (http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARAV7005/Marantz-AV7005-Networking-AV-Preamp/Processor/1.html#!specifications) or the Denon AVR-3313CI (http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-3313CI-Networking-Receiver-Capacity/dp/B00829USKS) if it ends up making a difference on the advice you give for the speakers.

I would like to have at least five channels, but I could settle for LCR for now if I have to for quality. I think I have about $1,000 left to spend, perhaps a bit more (haven't factored in all the shipping and taxes yet, so attempting to conservatively estimate).

Could someone be so kind as to enlighten me on what the differences are, which sets might work well, or just anything to help me sift through all of this? If you would prefer to link me to things instead of explaining, I am ok with that, just need to figure out which direction I am headed so I can move closer to the buy/build!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-09-2013, 05:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 980
it is a tough question at this point because most folks have not heard enough to be able to compare and there is not a consistent set of measurements across all the speakers.

generally, the larger more expensive speakers will perform better at the high volumes and tend to use a lower crossover point, which puts more of the sound in the driver that is better able to play it cleanly. beyond that if you have questions such as "how does the midrange clarity compare between the deltalite ii 2512 and the definimax 12 woofers" that is going to be tough to get.

I've been annoying erich from time to time to create some sort of comparison grid to help folks sort through your question and i'm not sure if it is something that will be part of the new site or not. it is a tough thing though to create because there are so many different ways to compare them.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-09-2013, 06:23 PM

If I were you I would start out with the Visaton 15" two way designed by Bill Waslo. The price is low and the sound quality is very good. The only way to know what you like is to get something and compare it to something else. Keep the one you like best and sell the other. I have done this for about 40 years and still have an open mind. You have to engage and hear different choices to decide what you like best. That is why they call it do it yourself.
Howard
post #4 of 15 Old 08-10-2013, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Any rule of thumb in general for what differences you might want in your front stage versus surround? ie if I chose to go with the Fusion line, should I do something like 3x Fusion 10 Max for LCR and a couple Fusion 8 Alchemy for the surround? The only real problem I can see with using these in the surround is that I will probably need to wall mount them due to where I have the speaker wire run in the walls, not sure what will be necessary for that..
post #5 of 15 Old 08-10-2013, 02:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

what are you doing for subwoofers?

Listen. It's All Good.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-10-2013, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

The current plan is 2x SI 18" with an iNuke 3000DSP
post #7 of 15 Old 08-10-2013, 08:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

well, how about if I make it easy for you. :-)

here are some testamonials from java's bulid that used the deltalite ii 2512 woofer / seos12 / dna360 / bill waslo crossover / sealed.

"Great work Java. The 2512 is a good midrange or high midbass woofer. IMO it is best used when excursion is kept under control like how you are doing with the sealed box HPF'd around 80hz. It will definitely give you that punch feeling in the 80-200hz range and does well over the rest of its range too. For the money it is great.

I think the reason people were searching for an alternative was because the prices nearly doubled last year for this woofer and it was no longer such a great value. Now it is back to being a steal."

"Told ya!.......my test boxes are the same volume, just not as tall but deeper. The 2512 kicks like a mule. I'm actually quite surprised when i see so many posts looking for a different woofer to work with the SEOS 12 when the 2512 works so well for so little."

"NICE! You WILL be amazed at the sound when you get them going.....the only down side I've found - your ears get "spoiled" rather quickly.
I hope you have good subs to keep up with them!"

"Drum Roll, Please...

I have finally finished. All three are done and hooked up.

Massive improvement over my Paradigms. There is an effortless wall of sound now.

I tested out on some surround music and movies. Sound is fabulous. Given some of the concern about my design not being ported and comments that you need a sub with these mains, I wasn't expected too much bass. I was wrong. Huge bass."

java's build thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1417294/seos12-2512-build

final results are in post #2.

hey erich, you need testamonials on the new site. :-)

kit: http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits/other/seos-deltalite-kit.html

Listen. It's All Good.
post #8 of 15 Old 08-11-2013, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

3x those will pretty much eat up my budget, but you think that will give me everything I need in addition to the subs (for now, anyway... can add later when funds allow)? Will I need anything additional to run these with either of the receivers I listed?
post #9 of 15 Old 08-11-2013, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Build two, toe in, and run a phantom center channel. You can always build # 3 later. Use the $ saved (or deferred) to help fund the rear speaker build.
post #10 of 15 Old 08-13-2013, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

No need to wait on the center per the budget, so I don't think I will be doing that. More just interested in how close this will get me to a solid experience vs going with 5 of the, let's say, Fusion line. I know typically people say to spend where you can and add later, I'm just not sure when later will be and don't necessarily want to take a large hit. I haven't experienced waveguides before, so I have no idea what to expect from 3, or the difference in 3 and 5.

Honestly, mounting the surrounds has me a bit worried due to their apparent size.. perhaps starting with front stage and figuring out a way to do the surrounds in the mean time isn't such a bad idea. Thoughts?
post #11 of 15 Old 08-13-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockfoot View Post

Honestly, mounting the surrounds has me a bit worried due to their apparent size.. perhaps starting with front stage and figuring out a way to do the surrounds in the mean time isn't such a bad idea. Thoughts?

What exactly is the problem... They don't fit in your space? You don't know how to wall mount them?

I have run a phantom center for a week and it was pretty damn good, voices were right smack in the middle like I had a center channel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 15 Old 08-13-2013, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Not sure how to mount them, they seem (from the pictures I have seen) to be somewhat large and would kind of just be jutting out from the wall I guess? Weight is a concern for me, too, but that might not be an issue.
post #13 of 15 Old 08-13-2013, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

This wall mount is real popular. Its best if you mount it to a stud.

http://www.amazon.com/Pinpoint-AM-40B-Clamping-Bookshelf-Speaker/dp/B002UV03MW

There is this surround design but not extremely sensitive

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/forum/index.php?topic=71.0

If you don't mind a wide speaker I built a one pi in a sealed enclosure for surround duty.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1461315/sealed-tempest-lcr-dual-one-pi-surround/0_100

post #14 of 15 Old 08-13-2013, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I like your build of the One Pi! Will those meld well with a set of SEOS speakers natively, or will I have to do some extra work/learning?
post #15 of 15 Old 08-13-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

For a surround speaker they sound decent especially for the price. I think it cost me about $90 per speaker for the drivers and crossovers at partsexpress. The only change I made from the plans is the enclosure. I can notice a tonal difference between the LCR and surround but not a big enough difference to build a whole new set of surrounds. Overall I'm happy with the way they sound and the sensitivity is right on, I think its a 1db difference between the fronts and surrounds.

Another thing to mention is the difference between a waveguide and dome for a surround speaker. I don't know the technical terms but a dome is more dispersed shooting sound everywhere which some people might like in a surround. While a waveguide has a constant directivity...I think thats the right word.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
Marantz Av7005 Pre Processor , Fusion 8 Inch Super Slim Under Seat 300w Amplified Subwoofer , Behringer Nu3000 Inuke Ultra Lightweight High Density 3000 Watt Power Amplifier
Gear in this thread - Av7005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page