So after a year it's time for an upgrade... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-13-2013, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
So last summer I built a Dayton 15" HF in a 4.2 cuft box with a BASH 500 amp. It's been great for our space but I'm a bit of an upgrade person and love to improve. So now I want dual subs or maybe even three?!?

I purchased an INuke nu3000dsp last week with the original thought of buying another (2) 15 HF. Now I'm rethinking this because I have space for two subs up front with a box size of 24x21x17. So it's probably around 3.5 cuft or so with sub and bracing. I guess my dilemma is if I should go for 18" Dayton HO or SI 18 in that size box with the nu3000dsp amp?

That would leave me with an 15" Dayton in the back of the room. The room is somewhere around 28' x 18' with 8 foot ceilings. It's an open floor plan though and shares area with another room. That said, one Dayton 15 gave the room a nice bump in the rear corner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-13-2013, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 57
What is the reason for the upgrade? Do you lack SPL with the current 15 inch Dayton ? If yes, then another 15 or 18 should do the trick, if your looking to go up in quality, then you might need to look into other drivers or subwoofer kits.,
post #3 of 10 Old 08-14-2013, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 68
the 18" dayton and SI are basically the same go with whatever one you want. Go sealed with a box that size.
post #4 of 10 Old 08-14-2013, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I owned both the Dayton HO 18 and SI 18's. The Daytons are a little more SQ oriented so I tended to lean more towards them with music. The SI's are better suited for movies IMHO and are harder to bottom so they can take more abuse in a movie system. I really like both and would say if music is your top priority then go Dayton, movies go with the SI's but there pretty close.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #5 of 10 Old 08-14-2013, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

My top priority is Movies/TV. That's probably 90% of my content these days. Well that and the kids wearing at the xbox.

Box is going to be sealed as well. I would like a little more SPL, and the other reason for my upgrade is that the current sub is behind our couch. The sound feels like all of the low end is coming from behind. Localized? I'd like to have a sub(s) up front as well to have sort of engulfed listening experience.. I'm not sure how to better explain it. I'd rather have smoother bass response as well.

I'm limited on my size because I'm going to hide sub(s) in the two far left/right doors of our in-wall entertainment/shelf system.

Think this

http://st.houzz.com/simgs/82c1e2f30f7c6134_4-8669/traditional-living-room.jpg

But with antiqued glass doors in the middle w/ our components and solid doors on the end. I'd like to make doors with speaker mesh instead of wood inserts and hide 1 or 2 subs on each side. We have a 110" Projection screen that is motorized and built into the top of the cabinet that comes down in front of the TV. It's something I built last year and I've got the upgrade itch smile.gif I'll try to get pictures as soon as we put the room back together....wife wanted to paint the room lol

qguy - With regards to a better sub, what would your recommendation be knowing that I'm using the nu3000DSP for power and the limitation of my box size?
post #6 of 10 Old 08-14-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 808
sounds like a very nice setup.

tough to say exactly what is causing the "bass from behind" effect.

in 3.5 cubic feet sealed, with about 600 watts into 4 ohms (that's about what that amp will do per channel), either the si 18 or the Dayton 18 will both be at about 15mm excursion at 20hz, so nothing to worry about with either of them.

if you can get the si 18 in dual 4 ohm and wire it for 2 ohms, you might get a little bit more power out of the amp, but probably not a ton more running 2 ohms stereo.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-14-2013, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Check out the TC LMS 5400 driver smile.gif

if you can sell your amp. Rythmik has a Ported kit version of the Rythmik FV15hp. Comes with a 15 inch driver and the plate amp
post #8 of 10 Old 08-14-2013, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

The SI 18" looks attractive because its in stock and about $30 cheaper per sub shipped. I just don't know. Whole lot about SI and wanted to make sure they were on par or better than the Dayton.

I haven't taken delivery on the Amp yet because it was back ordered, but I got it for $290 shipped so I can't complain.

I'm not about to drop a grand on the Ultra. Lol

Awhile back I did look into the Rythmik but wasn't sold on it. The box had to be larger than what I have room for. I also wasn't sure what the performance difference would be between that 15 and the 18s
post #9 of 10 Old 08-15-2013, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

sounds like a very nice setup.
if you can get the si 18 in dual 4 ohm and wire it for 2 ohms, you might get a little bit more power out of the amp, but probably not a ton more running 2 ohms stereo.

I'm running my nu3k in 2ohm stereo w/ 4 4ohm 15's. Makes good power that way and would be a good match for a pair of D4 SI 18's.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-15-2013, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm running my D4 SI 18'S in 2ohm stereo with an Inuke 3kdsp, and it has more power than I'll ever need.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page