Fi IB3-18 x 8 and SEOS pure 10 kits! - Page 13 - AVS Forum
First ... 11  12  13 14  15  ... Last
DIY Speakers and Subs > Fi IB3-18 x 8 and SEOS pure 10 kits!
Reddig's Avatar Reddig 12:00 PM 11-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

Gonna be sweet MK!!! I've been thinking about getting a set of Seos just to try out as well.

Same here. I'm wanting to get 3 Sentinals to compare to my SHO-10s.

MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 12:31 PM 11-03-2013
If they prove to be great I will order the bigger ones for sure. Great meaning better than what I have. I know they will sound great. All the builds should be done by this weekend.
steve nn's Avatar steve nn 04:56 AM 11-04-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

I am sorry but I will have to use my phone for pics or I won't have any. I will try to get enough light to be OK. I will say that these drivers are very nice, beefy!

Appreciate you doing what you can MK, looking forward to seeing your progress.
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 07:22 AM 11-04-2013
Wow, ran into oops yesterday. Went to fit the speakers in the hole and the hole was too small eek.gif Had to take out the Sawzall! Anyways, again I apologize but here are two pics of a test fit

Bonus

Here is a pic of the DR-250 crossover.

filtor1's Avatar filtor1 08:05 AM 11-04-2013
eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif
FOH's Avatar FOH 08:26 AM 11-04-2013
Damn! Wow, you're going to have some firepower for sure!

I dig the images.

Those images give better perspective, eight 30mm-18"s, six DR250 pro cabs across the front is amazing amount of capability. You're likely going to see more mid-bass from the spatial loading. The acoustic load changes with the baffle wall, you're going enjoy that extra headroom, and less destructive ripple/FR smoothing too.

eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif
PGT FTW's Avatar PGT FTW 08:40 AM 11-04-2013
did Fi change the color of the baskets? I'm seeing pics in this thread of silver baskets...mine are black.
steve nn's Avatar steve nn 08:57 AM 11-04-2013
Quote:
MK Wow, ran into oops yesterday. Went to fit the speakers in the hole and the hole was too small eek.gif Had to take out the Sawzall! Anyways, again I apologize but here are two pics of a test fit

SPINAL TAP! it’s like a sauna in here.. smilie_happy_053.gif
popalock's Avatar popalock 09:10 AM 11-04-2013
Looks pretty damn intimidating MK!
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 09:27 AM 11-04-2013
Adding the baffle wall/IB decreased the size of the theater from 1820 cubes to 1574 cubes. I always said 2000 cubes but I never took into consideration the 1 inch of sound board I added. I recommend that duct insulation to anyone as it is easy to use and it seems better than other 1 inch insulation. I stuck my head in the baffle even with the giant holes and my voice was dead! After that pic I removed the speakers and wired up the woofs. Turn on some low level test tones to make sure all drivers were working. They will be a single 8 ohm load on a bridged Sanway FP14K. I love wiring this way as it gives me great control over the system. The cut out holes for the speakers are 44x22 for some size reference. The rest of the wall is sealed but I am going to use Great stuff around the whole wall, sides, top and bottom to be safe! The tricky part will be sealing the speakers. I will also add more roll on insulation to my ceiling and front side walls just in front of the Baffle. I am also going to curve the array like a CBT, so the bottom speaker will face down a little and the natural curve to the speaker will take place. I have the amp going to the bottom speaker and then daisy chained to the top which creates a single long run and a short speaker to speaker cable. The two 8 ohm cabs become a one 4 ohm cab.
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 09:31 AM 11-04-2013
Oh yeah, I added a double baffle to the woofers as well. Each woofer is on 1.5 inch thick plywood, double stud bracing, cross braces, and front to back braces. The adding of braces is what bowed the braces to make the whole too small. We shaved the 2x4 with the sawzall and done, that is why you see the saw dust.
nfraso's Avatar nfraso 10:28 AM 11-04-2013
Good stuff, MK. It's awesome to step back and get the full visual after reading though the progress.
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 10:52 AM 11-04-2013
Thanks, I will get a better pic once it is properly setup. I have to adjust the speakers when done because that pick was just throwing them in there to see the fit. I will also fill in all the gaps on the baffle wall. The screen will cover the speakers and centered woofs, the 4 in the corners will be exposed, I am not sure if I want to cover them or not. I usually hide everything. No curtains this time though.
LTD02's Avatar LTD02 11:10 AM 11-04-2013
congrats mk, you're really bringing it home...
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 11:14 AM 11-04-2013
Once this is done I build the columns for the huge surrounds and build the SEOS.
Scott Simonian's Avatar Scott Simonian 11:19 AM 11-04-2013
Nice!

MK... always bringing badass new pics. smile.gif
Reddig's Avatar Reddig 12:01 PM 11-04-2013
DAAAAAAAAAAMMN that looks fn pissed MK!!!! You really did it up this time!! AWESOME!!
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 01:18 PM 11-04-2013
I hope it sounds just as it looks. I put the drivers to as close as possible to what LTD mentioned although these are not in a manifold. I kept them up high as I wanted a clear space underneath the whole wall so I can access any area. The bottom sections are tripled and quadrupled brace at certain locations. The final pics will be either during daytime or with a better camera.
Reddig's Avatar Reddig 01:24 PM 11-04-2013
Awesome man. Your gunna some killer wave launch with that setup I'm sure.
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 01:36 PM 11-04-2013
Well, I am coming from 30 liters in a 1820 cubic foot room to 58 liters in a 1574 cubes. The 30 liters was enough for reference levels with 10 dBs of headroom. According to WinIsd this adds 5 dBs at 10hz or almost double. So I could rip myself apart but what I will gain is cleaner bass except it was clean before. I am hoping the Baffle wall does some improvement for me. I would be happy with the same sound as before.
gpmbc's Avatar gpmbc 01:45 PM 11-04-2013
That looks sick MK! Did you use spray adhesive for the linacoustic?
Reddig's Avatar Reddig 01:49 PM 11-04-2013
Ya you definitely weren't lacking output. I would bet big money that the baffle wall will give you positive gains. Every cinema I've ever been to that has a baffle wall has an extra something special to the sound. One cinema I go to has same equipment in each room but one had a baffle wall and that's there best sounding room. As long as the wall doesn't flex it should b an improvement.
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 02:38 PM 11-04-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post

That looks sick MK! Did you use spray adhesive for the linacoustic?

I used a staple gun. The staples went right thru on the sound board inside the baffle so I used the nails with a giant washer(they are blue colored plastic).

Yes, I agree about the baffle wall and cinemas I have been to but my front wall was already treated so I am not sure how different it will be. I go from maybe some reflections to zero due to the Baffle.
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 02:41 PM 11-04-2013
I have not stapled down the top portion of the wall yet and I won't until the speakers are in proper position. I might build the SEOS before the surround columns as I will have a working theater once this baffle is done.
Reddig's Avatar Reddig 02:47 PM 11-04-2013
I bet you've been goin a little crazy without a working theater. This summer when my wife and I stayed at our cabin for two weeks I went thru some serious theatre withdrawal. Very excited to see you have your theater back and hopefully better than ever.
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 02:58 PM 11-04-2013
Oh yeah, I was very frustrated because my tools were being used by the family and I had to wait for my brother to come over with his. Basically he came over 5 times for about 3 hours each time. Now I have what I need to work on it myself.
carp's Avatar carp 07:00 PM 11-04-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

Well, I am coming from 30 liters in a 1820 cubic foot room to 58 liters in a 1574 cubes. The 30 liters was enough for reference levels with 10 dBs of headroom. According to WinIsd this adds 5 dBs at 10hz or almost double. So I could rip myself apart but what I will gain is cleaner bass except it was clean before. I am hoping the Baffle wall does some improvement for me. I would be happy with the same sound as before.

Good lord MK!!! eek.gifcool.gif
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 08:07 AM 11-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Good lord MK!!! eek.gifcool.gif

I will update the first post when I get better pics.
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 09:13 PM 11-05-2013
Just another update. I hooked up all the woofs and speakers and ran test tones before I seal everything up. I ran into a problem. All speakers ran just fine except my front left channel. The left channel is very low compared to the others. I tried different cables with no solution. I then ran the right channel cable into the left speaker and perfect. So I either have some bad setup issue or a bad amp channel. The levels are the same so maybe I need to reboot the AVR or something. We will see. Wall will be finished and sealed tomorrow so very I know the cables and speakers are fine. Just to be sure I will run the left channel cable into the right speaker which will eliminate the cables for sure.
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 11:48 AM 11-06-2013
Just figured out I was a cable, I have so many and the labels were taken off so I used the wrong cable. I tried 4 and none worked so I am down to two!
First ... 11  12  13 14  15  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop