Fi IB3-18 x 8 and SEOS pure 10 kits! - Page 35 - AVS Forum
First ... 33  34  35 36  37  ... Last
DIY Speakers and Subs > Fi IB3-18 x 8 and SEOS pure 10 kits!
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 08:33 PM 02-26-2014
That is what I was looking for, thanks! So I will have to run 3 wires to black and 3 to red on my amp from each set of 4 drivers?

Pain Infliction's Avatar Pain Infliction 08:22 AM 07-31-2014
Chiming in to see the results of your now ported IB setup.
chrapladm's Avatar chrapladm 08:39 AM 07-31-2014
Oh ya I think I heard MK just ported this setup now. Reminds me of Krypto.....god rest.

Any impressions MK?
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 09:15 AM 07-31-2014
You guys beat me to it!

I am in the process of building my two walls for my surrounds so I won't measure more until later. I watched a couple scenes last night and it basically feels like running my IB with a 12 dBs per octave boost from my LT but without tripping my breakers this time. It came to like a 7.5hz tune but creates a big peak from 6-9hz. Without that peak my -5 dBs point is 4hz but with it 4 hz is the -15 dB point. Again, only from the peak. Having the peak within the single digits is pretty cool feeling though! Measurements later! Oh and pics of two 12 inch holes. No port noise at 12 dBs above reference but I have not run the big boys yet like WOTW. Lone Survivor will be my best test for that.
Reddig's Avatar Reddig 09:51 AM 07-31-2014
Cool nice to hear what youve been up to. Looking forward to pics.
Scott Simonian's Avatar Scott Simonian 10:36 AM 07-31-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
You guys beat me to it!

I am in the process of building my two walls for my surrounds so I won't measure more until later. I watched a couple scenes last night and it basically feels like running my IB with a 12 dBs per octave boost from my LT but without tripping my breakers this time. It came to like a 7.5hz tune but creates a big peak from 6-9hz. Without that peak my -5 dBs point is 4hz but with it 4 hz is the -15 dB point. Again, only from the peak. Having the peak within the single digits is pretty cool feeling though! Measurements later! Oh and pics of two 12 inch holes. No port noise at 12 dBs above reference but I have not run the big boys yet like WOTW. Lone Survivor will be my best test for that.
Godspeed, James.
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 07:11 PM 07-31-2014
Nah, it was just like running my IB with a big LT boost except without tripping the breakers, well, I hope anyways. Still working on the boxes for the surrounds but almost ready to cut the holes. I just need to figure out which driver for a 7-8 hz tune. I look at the boxes and see how awesome dual sealed 18's would be as well.
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 09:23 AM 08-01-2014
I can get an 11 hz tune with my drivers and no port noise. I think I will go that route. Here are some pics of how the surrounds will look. These are awesome surrounds!

Scott Simonian's Avatar Scott Simonian 10:24 AM 08-01-2014
Awwwww s**t!

MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 10:49 PM 08-01-2014
Here is a response of the ported IB, pics next

Reddig's Avatar Reddig 10:57 PM 08-01-2014
Great stuff man!

Just got out of Gaurdians of the Galaxy in IMAX. Great movie and great bass! Gotta go see it MK.
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 11:05 PM 08-01-2014

dual 12 inch ports

What my seats look like, yes I have to clean them from dust. That is where I take my measurements, about ear level.

MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 11:08 PM 08-01-2014
I will see it Wednesday in Imax.
jbrown15's Avatar jbrown15 12:38 AM 08-02-2014
Quote:

Wow, I've never seen a graph so smooth with no actual smoothing applied to the graph. Is that really no smoothing?
JapanDave's Avatar JapanDave 12:42 AM 08-02-2014
Why did you port the IB?
Reddig's Avatar Reddig 06:01 AM 08-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Wow, I've never seen a graph so smooth with no actual smoothing applied to the graph. Is that really no smoothing?
Right!! What I was thinking too. Props MK!
Pain Infliction's Avatar Pain Infliction 06:35 AM 08-02-2014
Nice graph. Can you post a graph of the sealed setup?
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar AV Science Sales 5 06:53 AM 08-02-2014
Those boxes under the surrounds, are you making those into subs? If so, they will not be sealed very well, sitting on carpet and not having solid sides, where up against the walls.
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 07:24 AM 08-02-2014
Yes they will be sealed, I built the IB like that too. The second box has sides.

JP,
My surround stands will have subs and I don't get much under 20hz near field and sealed. So I am building a ported sub back there and I don't like mixing the two different alignments but with a low enough tune I get a similar response.
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 07:37 AM 08-02-2014
This was sealed

MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 07:43 AM 08-02-2014
These subs have a huge inductance hump so these are EQ'd to bring down the hump. The sealed has a LT applied as well. The signal chain rolls them off and why I am trying this out.
Thomas-W's Avatar Thomas-W 08:01 AM 08-02-2014
Quote:
First, there's no such thing as a ported IB. It's either ported or an IB.

On their website Fi specifically says
Sealed box: Infinite Baffle Only
Ported box: N/A

Better be very careful unless you want to follow Jordan's lead and create a pile of destroyed drivers.
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 08:44 AM 08-02-2014
I am always careful. I have 8 drivers in a 1460 cubed room, it is shrinking by the minute! Actually I will have 10 soon. I think before I destroy these my room would fall apart! I ported to boost the 5-10hz area and under that my signal chain rolls off so t has a natural HP filter.
Thomas-W's Avatar Thomas-W 09:17 AM 08-02-2014
Quote:
under that my signal chain rolls off so t has a natural HP filter.
That would be nice were it the case. In the instance of ported subs as opposed to sealed boxes, the driver 'unloads' when fed signals below Fb. This results in the driver flapping uncontrollably in and out until the signal is stopped or the driver is destroyed.

Do you have a nearfield measurement taken from one of the ports?
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 09:24 AM 08-02-2014
Yes I know, my sims show that the excursion gets crazy and dangerous under 5hz and that is outside under max power. Inside I get well over 20 dBs of gain at 5hz and I don't use nearly everything they have so not the same situation.
Thomas-W's Avatar Thomas-W 09:34 AM 08-02-2014
OK, just keep unlicensed pilots away from the controls ......
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 10:05 AM 08-02-2014
Don't worry, I was crazy enough to get mains that can play just as loud and if anyone tries to crank the system their ears will stop them from the highs. So far I am safe with any movie 10 dBs hot.
JapanDave's Avatar JapanDave 01:27 AM 08-03-2014
Quote:
Yes they will be sealed, I built the IB like that too. The second box has sides.

JP,
My surround stands will have subs and I don't get much under 20hz near field and sealed. So I am building a ported sub back there and I don't like mixing the two different alignments but with a low enough tune I get a similar response.
OK, I see now. Did you have the Crowsons?
Martycool007's Avatar Martycool007 04:37 AM 08-03-2014
MKtheater, how did you model the former sealed IB into being a ported IB? What is the port made of & what are the ports specs?
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 10:08 AM 08-03-2014
I put in the amount of drivers, box size, sealed for the IB, then added the power so it reaches x-max at 5hz.

For ported I used the same size box, same amount of drivers, then selected ports until I reach extension and velocity that I wanted to get near because it never comes out exact. I used sonotube that I bought from lowes. It ended up being a 7.7 hz tune with two 12 inch round and 24 inch long ports. I could have used 4 8 inch ports or 1 24 inch port. My surrounds boxes are not big enough to support a 7.7hz tune but I can get 11 hz for my drivers with an 8 inch 30 inch port or something like that, I still have to finalize it.
First ... 33  34  35 36  37  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop