Health issues with MDF and Ported enclosures - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-24-2013, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I read somewhere that unfinished MDF releases something that may be harmfull to someones health. In that case should the insides of ported enclosures be painted to seal the MDF ? I have small 8 inch subwoofer behind my monitor and during loud explosion in games I can smell the MDF. As a precaution, when the sun comes out I will spray paint the insides of the enclosure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-24-2013, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by qguy View Post

I read somewhere that unfinished MDF releases something that may be harmfull to someones health.
Probably formaldehyde, but compared to all the other sources of out-gassing in a typical building that from a speaker cabinet would be insignificant.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-24-2013, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 351
I don't mind it. I think it smells like the color 9.
baniels and squeakybirnbaum like this.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-24-2013, 08:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 771
Try using MDF on a router table ... Lol

I made some raised panel cabinet doors and used MDF for the raised panel. Amazing amount of saw dust. Even with a mask it gave me a sore throat.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #5 of 8 Old 08-24-2013, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:

I read somewhere that unfinished MDF releases something that may be harmfull to someones health. In that case should the insides of ported enclosures be painted to seal the MDF ? I have small 8 inch subwoofer behind my monitor and during loud explosion in games I can smell the MDF. As a precaution, when the sun comes out I will spray paint the insides of the enclosure.

While MDF used to use and outgass some formaldehyde like many other new building materials like fiberglass, in the past 2-5 years many regulations have come into play, especially in California, which have caused most suppliers to move to what is now considered CARB 2 compliant products which have extremely low % formaldehyde content, or products which are entirely formaldehyde free. CARB = California Air Resources Board. Here is a FAQ from one supplier. Rather than stocking and producing different products for different regions and worrying where it might end up, most areas sell material meeting the California regulations.

Fiberglass has switched to entirely formaldehyde free for a few years now, and has been available for a few years before that.

The next area of pressure will be the solvent based finishing products which are already getting harder to purchase in large quantities. Large cabinet shops shipping to many areas have largely shifted entirely to water based finishes. Certain finish types become much harder to execute or involve longer cure times with water based finishes, so it's not as simple as just changing what finishing materials they buy. It was quite the PITA when our cabinet shop made the switch for most of its uses as their primary customer base of retail stores required it. In the end we'll be leaving the nasty finishes to automated machines and specialty shops with paint rooms and proper masks and suits... and unfortunately to the cheap labor overseas.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #6 of 8 Old 08-24-2013, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Try using MDF on a router table ... Lol

I made some raised panel cabinet doors and used MDF for the raised panel. Amazing amount of saw dust. Even with a mask it gave me a sore throat.
+1 Couldn't believe the dust from that stuff. Probably didn't help I was using a dremel 😕
post #7 of 8 Old 08-26-2013, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

I would give a quick slap to the insides just so I didn't have to smell sawdust in the air.

-Suntan
post #8 of 8 Old 08-26-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

+1 Couldn't believe the dust from that stuff. Probably didn't help I was using a dremel 😕

I was in the garage and parked the cars a good distance back. Sawdust is an understatement. I could not even see black on the driveway.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page