Any bass heads running single sheet of drywall in their room? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-26-2013, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Related to my other thread ..

I am building a room and wondered if a single sheet of drywall can be bad. I mean can you have strange interactions with the walls when funing four of S/.HO 18's as an example? If so I can just run up another sheet of drywall..and some damping compound.

MIght be a silly question but I figured it coudnt hurt to ask.

Thanks.

Sony HW50ES | Denon X4000 | Rocket RS850s | Rocket RS200 | Rocket RS750s | Rocket RS250s | Quad Stereo integrity 18" d4 sealed subs | Inuke nu46000 | MiniDSP | Oppo 103D

My Build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-26-2013, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by MALIX View Post

Related to my other thread ..

I am building a room and wondered if a single sheet of drywall can be bad. I mean can you have strange interactions with the walls when funing four of S/.HO 18's as an example? If so I can just run up another sheet of drywall..and some damping compound.

MIght be a silly question but I figured it coudnt hurt to ask.

Thanks.

Unless you build a concrete bunker 100 feet below the foundation of your house, you will never remove the tactile earth shaking bass 4 18's will create...
post #3 of 10 Old 08-26-2013, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 355
I lifted the screws loose on the sheet directly above my subs in my old theater that only had single layer, and it rattled loudly enough that I thought I broke the projector screen mounts.

I now run triple layer with greenglue and haven't had a structural problem yet (6 months).

"If Bad Sound Were Fatal, Audio Would Be the Leading Cause of Death."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old 08-26-2013, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 428
It all depends how silent and low of a noise floor you want. Once bass starts rolling you start hearing the room cry uncle and if you don't want to hear that then you need some help.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-26-2013, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post

I lifted the screws loose on the sheet directly above my subs in my old theater that only had single layer, and it rattled loudly enough that I thought I broke the projector screen mounts.

I now run triple layer with greenglue and haven't had a structural problem yet (6 months).

Just out of curiosity... how far away from your neighbors are you?

When I built my first 18" sealed Avalanche I connected it to my living room setup and my friend brought over a bass testing CD and we gave it all we could. half hour later my neighbor called me telling me I knocked down all of the China in her dining room. Her house was 30ft away from my closest wall...
post #6 of 10 Old 08-26-2013, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I say they were full of crap. I bet they just blamed you. I run loud bass and my neighbors never complain. Even in my concrete basement you can hear bass around my house. I have 1.07 acres though but they are closer on the sides. The closest neighbor must be 50 feet or more(their house not land). I have broken lights, marble, door handles, molding, I have knocked down my acoustic panels and pots and pans out the cabinets upstairs.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-26-2013, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Typically your neighbors won't even notice the bass during movies, it's the rhythmic thump of music the irritates people.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-26-2013, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

It all depends how silent and low of a noise floor you want. Once bass starts rolling you start hearing the room cry uncle and if you don't want to hear that then you need some help.

Out of Curiosity What "help have you guys gotten.. Do you have Decoupled walls. or 2 layers GG/ 5/8th Drywall? What has worked for you?

And in my case The closest neighbors house is about 300 ft. So no issue there. And the living areas are separated from my theater room by the garage. The theater is connected to the house by only one wall and that wall is shared with the garage. the attic the theater shares only with the garage so sound isolation from my family or neighbors is not an issue. Its just a matter of not wanting my room to be detrimental to the sound system..

Sony HW50ES | Denon X4000 | Rocket RS850s | Rocket RS200 | Rocket RS750s | Rocket RS250s | Quad Stereo integrity 18" d4 sealed subs | Inuke nu46000 | MiniDSP | Oppo 103D

My Build
post #9 of 10 Old 08-26-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 402
I have a single layer of drywall, but it is glued and screwed to 6" studs. Drywall does not make noises in my room. Two SI-18's, One Mal-X 18 and two TC Sounds 12's. Soon to add a couple TD18H+ drivers.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-26-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALIX View Post

Out of Curiosity What "help have you guys gotten.. Do you have Decoupled walls. or 2 layers GG/ 5/8th Drywall? What has worked for you?

All the above! The best way to sound proof a room is to build a room within a room with gaps or air space in between. Concrete will keep in bass but how many have concrete ceilings! I have soundboard, drywall, more sound board, heavy insulation, and concrete outerwalls. The inner walls and ceilings are what I said. I never used GG.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page