AVS Forum banner

CSS 12” SDX dual PR Little Rebel Rouser

8K views 88 replies 12 participants last post by  steve nn 
#1 ·
Any thoughts out there regarding this option? I do have a SDX 15” in a LLT that I could use but I wanted to keep this enclosure at a minimum since it’s going in a bedroom and I like the thought of a plate (which I need) on hand, and I would rather leave the LLT intact. I do have one other 15” PR option that I’m working on but at this time I don’t know if it is a option or not? Anyway I’m contemplating the 12C or the 12D. http://www.creativesound.ca/ I know the driver is a bit on the spendy side considering other drivers I have so if we could skip past that it would be ok with me.
I could go the 18” mae-x route but again we would be talking way to big even with utilizing PR’s.

See less See more
#53 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81  /t/1487951/css-12-sdx-dual-pr-little-rebel-rouser/30#post_23721947

Lookin good Steve! After you get board with it, send it my way

Hey bass! great to see you and thanks! It would be fun to ship something out for you to check out in all seriousness. I can understand the bored descriptive though, but it’s more of a explore and learn kind of thing. This is a PR build design that I haven't tried yet and many others.. my aim is to change that on my part. If this sub has the extension, spl and SQ that I hope it will in such a small enclosure, I can see it being a good option for those with certain criteria's. (If I’m not mistaken, I think it was Jeff Bagby who created this design, you will see his name over at Data amongst other places). Actually it would be fun to try this driver out in a couple different alignments, that’s one of the things we can do in DIY at such a minimal cost that makes DIY so attractive to some.

So lets see, are you getting ready to start/ Oh hold it! That’s right, if I remember correctly you have tried DIY once and built a sub, I forgot about that. You owe me a pic thinking about it.

#54 ·
Well my veneer came in and it looks good, I don’t see any issues. The issue I do have though is I’m out of glue, I thought that was covered.. Dang! I was just at HD yesterday too! Oh well..

#56 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor  /t/1487951/css-12-sdx-dual-pr-little-rebel-rouser/30#post_23727304

Any pics?

Living in Astoria has its pluses, but quick trips to Home Depot Im guessing isnt one of them.

No it’s not, but I really like being back here though. HD is only like 15 minutes away, so it’s not like a trip or anything. I guess it’s something like 18-20 cruse ships are due here this year though. Summer is also over, so the tourist traffic will slow down. Quick question I wanted to ask your thread.. Do you live in the Portland area also?

Oh! few more pics to follow latter. I’m killing time while glue drys. How about a few pics yourself?

#57 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn  /t/1487951/css-12-sdx-dual-pr-little-rebel-rouser/30#post_23712589

You mean your bed doesn’t have the quarter thing going on? Hu!.. that’s odd. I thought it was a prerequisite for 50 and over DIY bass heads, it could be forty though.

I had a little issue come up today dangit! When I was routering with a trim bit I got a shaving in my eye that just won’t quit! Yeah I had glasses on but not the usual enclosed glasses due to it was such a little job. That’s all it took, so I now type this looking like Jack Sparrow with a patch over my eye. Actually he looks much better due to mine is a quick DIY gauze and masking tape approach.
Thing is, although my eye cant open, it still rolls as my eyes turn thus causing pain. I tell yuh! The things we do for a sub!

Oh oowwww!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn  /t/1487951/css-12-sdx-dual-pr-little-rebel-rouser/30#post_23714968

Lol.. Ok you got me.
Yeah the eye is fine, it worked it’s way out and the patch is off. Thanks!

Oh good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn  /t/1487951/css-12-sdx-dual-pr-little-rebel-rouser/30#post_23729019

No it’s not, but I really like being back here though. HD is only like 15 minutes away, so it’s not like a trip or anything. I guess it’s something like 18-20 cruse ships are due here this year though. Summer is also over, so the tourist traffic will slow down. Quick question I wanted to ask your thread.. Do you live in the Portland area also?

Oh! few more pics to follow latter. I’m killing time while glue drys. How about a few pics yourself?

The build is looking and shaping up great, Steve! Can't wait to see your master veneer work when it's all done.

#58 ·
HeHe I'll be back, glue.. gotta go

#59 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn  /t/1487951/css-12-sdx-dual-pr-little-rebel-rouser/30#post_23729019

Good progress there Steve. I wish I could move that fast with a sub project. It took me 8 months to build the boxes for my 2 18s.

The HD in Astoria is pretty nice. I'm out in Astoria every weekend during the month of Auguast, every year. Gotta love that Bouy 10 fishery.

On another note, if you ever decide to let go of the SDX 15s give me a holler. I lost hopes of the SDX15 MKII coming to life. The awsome Bose system that came with installed and pre-wired in my new house is craptacular, I'll be looking to switch that system out sometime in the near future.

#60 ·
Hey guys Thanks for stopping by. I have a few things going now but I’ll be sure to get back. I did have a chance to get a few things done though, so I’ll post a few pics. Now I’m going to go lighter stain on the sides and darker on the front. Now I can go darker on top also or gloss black. Any recommendations? I think I would like it both ways and am kind of leaning with the gloss black top? I did try to find some shady approved formica though, but I’m not buying a sheet for such a little job.
Anyway don't be to hard on me..

#61 ·

Quote:
Quote:
Scott> The build is looking and shaping up great, Steve! Can't wait to see your master veneer work when it's all done.

Thanks Scott but no way, the things I learn each time. The veneer bit the dust in one spot, top left front, but oh well. I think that will be covered anyway. All I had was walnut filler so that’s the spot you see. I blame the edger (hand tool) not me. I’ll say it for you.. pompous arrs! The router works good for trim but that can bite you too. I was very Thankful I found a trim bit to do the driver circles or I would have been in deep doo-doo. The bit I had extended just a shade past a 1/2” (not good) so off I went digging. The one I found just made it. http://www.4smileys.com
Quote:
Good progress there Steve. I wish I could move that fast with a sub project. It took me 8 months to build the boxes for my 2 18s.

The HD in Astoria is pretty nice. I'm out in Astoria every weekend during the month of Auguast, every year. Gotta love that Bouy 10 fishery.

On another note, if you ever decide to let go of the SDX 15s give me a holler. I lost hopes of the SDX15 MKII coming to life. The awsome Bose system that came with installed and pre-wired in my new house is craptacular, I'll be looking to switch that system out sometime in the near future.

Thanks thucker, eight months huh! Well that’s ok, plod nice and slow and have fun when you feel like it.. nothing wrong with that. Those two 18”s are going to be nice though! Hey have you ever ate at Buoy 9 in Hammond? It’s a great place if you get a chance, close to HD.

Sell the 15” SDX? lol Thanks for the offer but that’s one of my keepers, especially now that the new 15” wont be happening. If I ever get dire I’ll keep you in mind though. Looking forward to your impressions of your new setup when it works out. mmm bose that WAF option? I don’t think your new 18”s are going to have much in common, be prepared.

#62 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn  /t/1487951/css-12-sdx-dual-pr-little-rebel-rouser/60#post_23730035

Thanks Scott but no way, the things I learn each time. The veneer bit the dust in one spot, top left front, but oh well. I think that will be covered anyway. All I had was walnut filler so that’s the spot you see. I blame the edger (hand tool) not me. I’ll say it for you.. pompous arrs! The router works good for trim but that can bite you too. I was very Thankful I found a trim bit to do the driver circles or I would have been in deep doo-doo. The bit I had extended just a shade past a 1/2” (not good) so off I went digging. The one I found just made it. http://www.4smileys.com

Thanks thucker, eight months huh! Well that’s ok, plod nice and slow and have fun when you feel like it.. nothing wrong with that. Those two 18”s are going to be nice though! Hey have you ever ate at Buoy 9 in Hammond? It’s a great place if you get a chance, close to HD.

Sell the 15” SDX? lol Thanks for the offer but that’s one of my keepers, especially now that the new 15” wont be happening. If I ever get dire I’ll keep you in mind though. Looking forward to your impressions of your new setup when it works out. mmm bose that WAF option? I don’t think your new 18”s are going to have much in common, be prepared.

It's funny that you mentioned Bouy 9. We stayed at the South Jetty Inn every weekend in August. We'd wake up and walk over to Bouy 9 for breakfast, go fishing during the day, hit the bar across the street before going back to the hotel, then repeat.

I love building things, but I usually work until 6 everyday and get stuck with some kind of house duty when I get home. I sneak an hour or two of wood working here and there.my project is going to be a set of SEOS speakers...... We'll see how long that takes.

The Bose system came with the house, already wired into the walls of the living room. We had a system at the old house and moved it into a dedicated room of the new house. The lady chucked when she saw the Bose compared to the tower speakers we have. Somehow she grew fond of them and now think they are cute, and doesn't stand out

#63 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thucker  /t/1487951/css-12-sdx-dual-pr-little-rebel-rouser/60#post_23730308

It's funny that you mentioned Bouy 9. We stayed at the South Jetty Inn every weekend in August. We'd wake up and walk over to Bouy 9 for breakfast, go fishing during the day, hit the bar across the street before going back to the hotel, then repeat.

I love building things, but I usually work until 6 everyday and get stuck with some kind of house duty when I get home. I sneak an hour or two of wood working here and there.my project is going to be a set of SEOS speakers...... We'll see how long that takes.

The Bose system came with the house, already wired into the walls of the living room. We had a system at the old house and moved it into a dedicated room of the new house. The lady chucked when she saw the Bose compared to the tower speakers we have. Somehow she grew fond of them and now think they are cute, and doesn't stand out

Uh you must be talking salmon fishing, cool. We let one go the other day and then found out that it was alright to keep it. The guidelines change on a daily basis as you know and it’s hard to keep up with if you don’t check daily.
If you find yourself at B 9 next year I suggest you try their primrib they offer on Fri and Sat night, or oysters if you like them?

That’s a funny Bose story, WAF, lol. Every now and then I find myself in front of one and find it a little trying keeping my yap shut! Especially when the gal or guy starts bragging! I just checked out the SEOS line more and they look great imo, got to love them horns. Hope they work out for you. If I ever were to take on a speaker build that would be a very worthy speaker build from what I hear.
Which ones did you decide to go with if you don’t mind me asking?

#64 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn  /t/1487951/css-12-sdx-dual-pr-little-rebel-rouser/60#post_23731196

Uh you must be talking salmon fishing, cool. We let one go the other day and then found out that it was alright to keep it. The guidelines change on a daily basis as you know and it’s hard to keep up with if you don’t check daily.
If you find yourself at B 9 next year I suggest you try their primrib they offer on Fri and Sat night, or oysters if you like them?

That’s a funny Bose story, WAF, lol. Every now and then I find myself in front of one and find it a little trying keeping my yap shut! Especially when the gal or guy starts bragging! I just checked out the SEOS line more and they look great imo, got to love them horns. Hope they work out for you. If I ever were to take on a speaker build that would be a very worthy speaker build from what I hear.
Which ones did you decide to go with if you don’t mind me asking?

Yes, salmon fishing. I'm an avid fisherman and usually go out there with my buddies in a big bright blue River Wild sled, I'm only Asian guy on the boat. Stop by and say Hi if you see us out there.

I'm leaning towards the Dayton Designer12 SEOS speaker build. I've considered all the other designers too, but from what I read and the feedback from the designer pushed me towards this design.

#66 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor  /t/1487951/css-12-sdx-dual-pr-little-rebel-rouser/60#post_23731853

Yes i am in portland oregon. Since you mentioned aastoria i called my buddy up there. Heading out to crab this weekend.

Nice looking veneer

Posted reply in your thread.

#67 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thucker  /t/1487951/css-12-sdx-dual-pr-little-rebel-rouser/60#post_23731705

Yes, salmon fishing. I'm an avid fisherman and usually go out there with my buddies in a big bright blue River Wild sled, I'm only Asian guy on the boat. Stop by and say Hi if you see us out there.

I'm leaning towards the Dayton Designer12 SEOS speaker build. I've considered all the other designers too, but from what I read and the feedback from the designer pushed me towards this design.

Will do! I’ll look for the Asian guy on the river wild. Could you wear a red cap that says AVS on it just in case?
That’s great on the speakers, bet they will sound nice if that’s what you go with.

#68 ·
I origanly was going to go with some black paint mixed with stain and then decided not to even though I knew the possibility of the veneer lifting. Me being me I went for it and guess what? yeah I got bubbles lol. Ok so what do I do to save this build? I’m going to take a piece of 1/8 and redo it. Anyway so I get down to loading the driver, oh dear. Since I went narrower than suggested and the magnet flares like it does, the diver backs up against the PR’s. I thought I had things measured out too, but admitedly did not take the time that I should have. If this would have been one of my earlier builds this never would have happened. With out trying to come across as cocky or anything, familiarity got the best of me. Reduced down that means poor planning. Ok so now what do I do? Move the PR’s out to flush or the driver beyond flush? I decided on the driver. This is going to be a funny looking sub before it’s over. lol I have part C and D to the baffle drying now. This (Little Rebel Rouser) keeps growing.

http://www.4smileys.com

#69 ·
For now I decided to go with this. I decided against rounding over the seat and went with the blocked look. The light plays a few tricks but all in all it should be just fine in the bedroom. I had a little bleed, a few bubbles on top and the baffle issue. All in all a pretty fun build and more confirmation on a few things a guy should and shouldn’t do. Oh! and always factor in 12” SDX magnet flare.
My 15” doesn’t have it. I wanted to push the size a little bit with opting for not incorporating the amp since it’s simmed at a 1000w
and it made the sub come in on the lighter side as our DIY subs go. With a 40lb driver it still has some heft to it though, but much lighter considering no MDF and 22lb plate.

Now lets see how this guy sounds and what spl capabilities it has along with extension. The SPA and tune will limit it, but if it will do good down to 15-17hz I’ll be very pleased. I’ll post some graphs at a latter date..

I would like to Thank LTD for his help in double checking simming for me and on the side concerning other designs. If you come along Scott, I decided to give you a break this time around lol.
I never have taken the time to learn that part of building a sub which I know I should. You guys seem to enjoy it! I was like 30 or so before we received our first computer, so certain aspects don’t come as easy to me as they might to others, maybe not? Anyway I love this hobby and it’s nice to have this outlet to share and get advice when needed.. not to mention playing around with others that enjoy this hobby also.

#71 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81  /t/1487951/css-12-sdx-dual-pr-little-rebel-rouser/60#post_23737369

Looks good! It would be kind of hard to put a grill over it tho...

Need a beta tester?

Hey bass-o-ramma, lol. Yeah I took a grill out there this morning and I don’t like the look, so no use building one to fit.I think a full grill would be ok though. Beta sounds good! Bass!.. have mic/meter will travel.

#73 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81  /t/1487951/css-12-sdx-dual-pr-little-rebel-rouser/60#post_23740170

Well how does it sound?

I don’t want to be premature, but when I get it up there and have a few days with it I’ll be sure to let you know. I wish I could tell you now though.

#75 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart123  /t/1487951/css-12-sdx-dual-pr-little-rebel-rouser/60#post_23747133

Waiting for the FR and listening impressions......

Hi Brave.. The sub sounds absolutely awesome, everything I was hoping it would. I watched OBLIVION today with around 110dB peaks and no strain what so ever. It Keeps it’s composure on all material so far and the SQ is as good as I have ever heard with vented, no exaggeration. I have the EP running it at this time with no dsp and I’m basically +-3.5 100dB from 14 to 80hz. I noticed after I took a break from the forum a few years that guys were building subs out of all kinds of material so I decided to try something different myself along with a PR design. No problem, the sub is lighter, smaller, good extension coupled with great output and SQ. I expect even more after it breaks in but not that I will notice?? The 12” SDX is a real delight as it should be. No it’s not your typical bang for your buck driver, but then maybe it is depending how you look at it.. SQ-dB for the $$. Anyway I’m very impressed! This is’nt my first DIY/B&M or ID sub, so I would like to think I know a little about good bass when I hear it. I hope to have a graph or two up pretty soon along with some more time with it. Flight of the Phoenix is next on the agenda, I know that movie good. I’m in a 25 X 12’ room with a 6 1/2’ ceiling that drifts down to 3’ and then straight down.. like a army tent. So the room comes in around 900 or so cu ft. Not large by any means. Because of the shape the size doesn’t work against me like a small square room would. Anyway this sub would do just fine in a much larger room as far as single subs go.. that’s not to say two or three wouldn’t be better to smooth things out if a guy is so inclined. Nice job CSS on another great driver the 12" SDX presents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.