CSS 12” SDX dual PR Little Rebel Rouser - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 89 Old 08-27-2013, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Any thoughts out there regarding this option? I do have a SDX 15” in a LLT that I could use but I wanted to keep this enclosure at a minimum since it’s going in a bedroom and I like the thought of a plate (which I need) on hand, and I would rather leave the LLT intact. I do have one other 15” PR option that I’m working on but at this time I don’t know if it is a option or not? Anyway I’m contemplating the 12C or the 12D. http://www.creativesound.ca/ I know the driver is a bit on the spendy side considering other drivers I have so if we could skip past that it would be ok with me.smile.gif I could go the 18” mae-x route but again we would be talking way to big even with utilizing PR’s.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 Old 08-27-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 1164
the specs on the driver look quite nice.

only question would really be about power handling.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #3 of 89 Old 08-27-2013, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

the specs on the driver look quite nice.

only question would really be about power handling.

Hey LTD.. yeah we're talking SPA 500 or the 1000. I do have a EP on hand that needs some work or replaced, but for the bedroom I wanted to stay away from a outboard.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #4 of 89 Old 08-27-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 1164
should be fine with either of those amps. since it is only a 2 layer coil and power handling isn't specified, I just wanted to note that. should sound quite nice, but remember the room is part of the subwoofer system.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #5 of 89 Old 08-27-2013, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah this is the best I can do at this time with their suggestions. C gives me more options concerning over driving the unit though.

http://creativesound.ca/pdf/Q12XC.pdf

http://creativesound.ca/pdf/Q12XD.pdf

http://www.creativesound.ca/pdf/SDX12.pdf
Quote:
should be fine with either of those amps. since it is only a 2 layer coil and power handling isn't specified, I just wanted to note that. should sound quite nice, but remember the room is part of the subwoofer system.

By rights I ought to go with a sealed I have or build one considering my room, but then that gets in the way of wanting to build a PR. I admit I’m not the sharpest knife in the block.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #6 of 89 Old 08-27-2013, 08:54 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
Sounds like a smaller 12" based PR system is in order. A plate amp too. Keep it real simple and small. It's for a bedroom after all.

What's your thoughts on those kits that CSS has on their site? Sounds like you can get it all, pretty much.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #7 of 89 Old 08-28-2013, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Sounds like a smaller 12" based PR system is in order. A plate amp too. Keep it real simple and small. It's for a bedroom after all.

What's your thoughts on those kits that CSS has on their site? Sounds like you can get it all, pretty much.

Hey Scott, been a long time. The PR design is a sub that I haven't ever built before so I’m kind of intrigued with doing one. I do admit to being sort of biased against the design in the past but after reading up on it I see it can be a very nice option if done correctly and of course starting with a good schematic, driver, amp exedra. Come to think of it I think it was looking at Jay’s PR build that got me to thinking about a project like this. Anyway since one of the PR’s attributes are the same output and same extension in a smaller enclosure than a ported unit albeit the PR’s cost more than porting or a slot, I think it will serve my criteria quite well. I do know I have always been impressed with the 15” version of the SDX so I’m willing to do the 12” and see how the driver and design shakes out. My expectations are very high output and SQ in a 18” cube that would compare with some larger ported 12/15” ID options.

I went with CSS because of course I have dealt with them in the past, and like mentioned liking the 15” SDX that I have so much. Bob is very good to work with and quick to get back to you if you have a question. I’m impressed with their having four different options to go with and the adjustability of the option I’m going with. In the end I decided on the 12D with the 1000w. Anyway although it's in kit form, it’s going to land the same as if I ordered everything separately except maybe it’ll all arrive in the same box. I will most likely deviate from the enclosure design but then maybe not?? I will keep it a 18” cube unless I ad more bracing. Been looking around at some different finish options and am coming up with some ideas that I think should look pretty good. I generally go veneer but I would like to ad to the look if possible with incorporating some other esthetics.

12" SDX Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

15" SDX Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #8 of 89 Old 08-28-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 92
I had been thinking about using the 12D kit and going with DIY SG 2cuft flat pack, its only .4cuft smaller than CSS's large simulation. Seems like this is a great driver, xbl2 and decent price, wondering why we don't see much builds using this driver.
post #9 of 89 Old 08-28-2013, 11:20 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

Hey Scott, been a long time. The PR design is a sub that I haven't ever built before so I’m kind of intrigued with doing one. I do admit to being sort of biased against the design in the past but after reading up on it I see it can be a very nice option if done correctly and of course starting with a good schematic, driver, amp exedra. Come to think of it I think it was looking at Jay’s PR build that got me to thinking about a project like this. Anyway since one of the PR’s attributes are the same output and same extension in a smaller enclosure than a ported unit albeit the PR’s cost more than porting or a slot, I think it will serve my criteria quite well. I do know I have always been impressed with the 15” version of the SDX so I’m willing to do the 12” and see how the driver and design shakes out. My expectations are very high output and SQ in a 18” cube that would compare with some larger ported 12/15” ID options.

I went with CSS because of course I have dealt with them in the past, and like mentioned liking the 15” SDX that I have so much. Bob is very good to work with and quick to get back to you if you have a question. I’m impressed with their having four different options to go with and the adjustability of the option I’m going with. In the end I decided on the 12D with the 1000w. Anyway although it's in kit form, it’s going to land the same as if I ordered everything separately except maybe it’ll all arrive in the same box. I will most likely deviate from the enclosure design but then maybe not?? I will keep it a 18” cube unless I ad more bracing. Been looking around at some different finish options and am coming up with some ideas that I think should look pretty good. I generally go veneer but I would like to ad to the look if possible with incorporating some other esthetics.

12" SDX Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

15" SDX Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

I think a build like this should suit you well then. Just be sure to get a nice amp. Maybe something in the 500w-1000w range since you want some decent output.

A PR sub is something I still want to build one of these days. However, I would probably want a big ol' 18" or something. tongue.gif I dunno. Something to think about.

I'd like to see how this all turns out and what veneer you choose. I'm sure it will look great!

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

post #10 of 89 Old 08-28-2013, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

I had been thinking about using the 12D kit and going with DIY SG 2cuft flat pack, its only .4cuft smaller than CSS's large simulation. Seems like this is a great driver, xbl2 and decent price, wondering why we don't see much builds using this driver.

That’s a very good question! Imo many DIY’rs are into 15-18-21 and now 24” options. dB per dollar they can’t be beat! and that plays a big part of DIY. I can also totally understand because I have some of those options myself so it’s easy to loose focus on the 12” options. That being that, I have no idea why the SDX 15” option wasn’t utilized more? In all honesty I don’t know whether to attribute my experience with it to the build, design or the driver? Maybe it was all three? I do think it’s a excellent driver though and look forward to loading it up as they say. 12’s are so popular over in ID because size comes into play and that affects shipping. Over here in DIY land, the sky’s the limit. Anyway a good 12” in the right box or tube will do a lot of damage. Of course 2-4 are even better considering room modes and headroom. smile.gif
Quote:
Scott..I think a build like this should suit you well then. Just be sure to get a nice amp. Maybe something in the 500w-1000w range since you want some decent output.

A PR sub is something I still want to build one of these days. However, I would probably want a big ol' 18" or something. I dunno. Something to think about.

I'd like to see how this all turns out and what veneer you choose. I'm sure it will look great!

Yip! Going to do the 1000w amp (SPA1000) Just ordered everything today and Bob/CSS says it will ship tomorrow. Auh how long have you been talking about building another sub/s Scott? Lol.. You know you like your LLT’s so much that your going to be buried in them. Oh and Steve C will be there to do your eulogy.smile.gif Just playin with you Scott. One of my LLT sonos with the 15” SDX is one of my favorite subs to date, so I understand. You could build something for the fun of it though, nothing wrong with that! Anyway Thanks for the good word Scott and yeah I can envision you building a big ole 18” driver PR option. I honestly thought of it myself. cool.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #11 of 89 Old 08-28-2013, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 659
The SDX12 is also fairly new isn't it? Might be why we don't see many yet. But ya, people aren't into 12s. I use 6 of the Trio 12s sealed. I like them. They aren't mega output like the 15 or 18s can be, but 3 small boxes placed around the room dual opposed is really nice.
post #12 of 89 Old 08-28-2013, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

The SDX12 is also fairly new isn't it? Might be why we don't see many yet. But ya, people aren't into 12s. I use 6 of the Trio 12s sealed. I like them. They aren't mega output like the 15 or 18s can be, but 3 small boxes placed around the room dual opposed is really nice.

I'll bet they do sound nice, that's a good design. If you look at my post, you will notice I was speaking of the 15" version of the SDX which is in the process of being updated.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #13 of 89 Old 08-28-2013, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 659
I was referring to gtpsuper24's thoughts on why we haven't seen the sdx12 used much.
post #14 of 89 Old 08-28-2013, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^^ I gotcha, it’s all good tux.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #15 of 89 Old 08-29-2013, 04:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24

I had been thinking about using the 12D kit and going with DIY SG 2cuft flat pack, its only .4cuft smaller than CSS's large simulation.

Yeah a flat pack seems to be a very good option nowadays. Erich does a great job and his contribution to the DIY community has been much appreciated by many. His enclosures are also over at Parts Express http://www.parts-express.com/cat/subwoofer-speaker-cabinets/289 as you most likely know. If I ever used the option, I sure wouldn’t miss the MDF dust that’s for sure. smile.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #16 of 89 Old 08-29-2013, 11:10 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:

That’s a very good question! Imo many DIY’rs are into 15-18-21 and now 24” options. dB per dollar they can’t be beat! and that plays a big part of DIY. I can also totally understand because I have some of those options myself so it’s easy to loose focus on the 12” options. That being that, I have no idea why the SDX 15” option wasn’t utilized more? In all honesty I don’t know whether to attribute my experience with it to the build, design or the driver? Maybe it was all three? I do think it’s a excellent driver though and look forward to loading it up as they say. 12’s are so popular over in ID because size comes into play and that affects shipping. Over here in DIY land, the sky’s the limit. Anyway a good 12” in the right box or tube will do a lot of damage. Of course 2-4 are even better considering room modes and headroom. smile.gif
Yip! Going to do the 1000w amp (SPA1000) Just ordered everything today and Bob/CSS says it will ship tomorrow. Auh how long have you been talking about building another sub/s Scott? Lol.. You know you like your LLT’s so much that your going to be buried in them. Oh and Steve C will be there to do your eulogy.smile.gif Just playin with you Scott. One of my LLT sonos with the 15” SDX is one of my favorite subs to date, so I understand. You could build something for the fun of it though, nothing wrong with that! Anyway Thanks for the good word Scott and yeah I can envision you building a big ole 18” driver PR option. I honestly thought of it myself. cool.gif

Hahah! I know, right. I do love my LLT's though. The performance/dollar ratio is just sooo good. tongue.gif And they are really big and took a long to make so I'm just savoring their last days at this point. frown.gif You're right though. I think I've mentioned quad 18's for 4 years now at least.

Anyway. I think this all sounds like a fun project. Do you think you will not make the box yourself though getting a flatpack?

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #17 of 89 Old 08-29-2013, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hahah! I know, right. I do love my LLT's though. The performance/dollar ratio is just sooo good. tongue.gif And they are really big and took a long to make so I'm just savoring their last days at this point. frown.gif You're right though. I think I've mentioned quad 18's for 4 years now at least.

Anyway. I think this all sounds like a fun project. Do you think you will not make the box yourself though getting a flatpack?

Yeah those LLT’s are great Scott and I can’t think of you running anything else to be honest with you. cool.gif

Buying a flatpack would be cool, and of course no MDF dust like mentioned, but I would feel robbed because I like the build process and would feel like I actually didn’t make it myself. I can certainly understand guys doing it though. If I were building two I possibly might, but I know I would if building three. The last time I built three it turned out to be a real chore if you know what I mean. I even find two at the same time approaching that. Since this is a single I’m all good. I’m thinking I might use 3/4 oak ply since I have so much on hand even though I’ll be covering it up.. no use wasting it. I might use the ply and MDF though, but dang it's going to be heavy again, I wanted to go lite! Instead of veneer I’ve been looking at cabinet grade cherry ply but I’m not sure I want to incorporate trim or not. If I do it will be very minimal, not the thick or wide stuff. I wish I could get away without it but can’t figure out a way unless I can stain or paint the edges acceptably.. I dunno? I’m all ears if you have any ideas?

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #18 of 89 Old 08-29-2013, 12:29 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:

Yeah those LLT’s are great Scott and I can’t think of you running anything else to be honest with you. cool.gif

Buying a flatpack would be cool, and of course no MDF dust like mentioned, but I would feel robbed because I like the build process and would feel like I actually didn’t make it myself. I can certainly understand guys doing it though. If I were building two I possibly might, but I know I would if building three. The last time I built three it turned out to be a real chore if you know what I mean. I even find two at the same time approaching that. Since this is a single I’m all good. I’m thinking I might use 3/4 oak ply since I have so much on hand even though I’ll be covering it up.. no use wasting it. I might use the ply and MDF though, but dang it's going to be heavy again, I wanted to go lite! Instead of veneer I’ve been looking at cabinet grade cherry ply but I’m not sure I want to incorporate trim or not. If I do it will be very minimal, not the thick or wide stuff. I wish I could get away without it but can’t figure out a way unless I can stain or paint the edges acceptably.. I dunno? I’m all ears if you have any ideas?

Well, get used to the idea because I've invested greatly on this new system that will consist of twelve sealed 18's up front. Yup.

I see what you mean with the flatpacks which is why I mentioned. Maybe under the current circumstances it would be better. Less work, less noise, less mess. The MDF I have used in the current subs and mains I'm making are pretty light. I think they even called it lightweight MDF or something. But if you want light weight you may have to get some higher end ply.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #19 of 89 Old 08-29-2013, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What! say it aint so! Are you really Scott?. So what have you done so far then? This is big news to me, I had no idea! Can’t believe you're finally going to do it!

EDIT> Have you been looking at Popalocks SW porn again? smile.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #20 of 89 Old 08-29-2013, 04:07 PM
Bass Enabler

Oh yeah, it's happening. Been working on this sucker for 3-4 years now. Been blabbin' about it on here for most of that time. Heheh. It's actually a running joke at this point that I keep pushing back the install/build thread. Everyone wants to see and trust me, I do too! You've been away so this is news to you but yeah. You came back at a good time though because, for real this time, I'll have it installed soon. biggrin.gif

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #21 of 89 Old 08-29-2013, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh yeah, it's happening. Been working on this sucker for 3-4 years now. Been blabbin' about it on here for most of that time. Heheh. It's actually a running joke at this point that I keep pushing back the install/build thread. Everyone wants to see and trust me, I do too! You've been away so this is news to you but yeah. You came back at a good time though because, for real this time, I'll have it installed soon. biggrin.gif

That’s great, I’ll be looking forward to your thread and finding everything out, there is much I would like to know. I see you did allude to it a few posts back, but my thinking was so fixed regarding the subject it went right over my head. Yeah I did take a few year’s off from the forum, basically only made 3-4 posts, but now I’m back looking forward to a new build.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #22 of 89 Old 08-30-2013, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The MDF I have used in the current subs and mains I'm making are pretty light. I think they even called it lightweight MDF or something. But if you want light weight you may have to get some higher end ply.

As far as weight goes your suggestion using a higher-end ply is a good one except I don’t want to spring for the BB since I have so much 3/4 on hand. I do have a few more days to think about it though, so we’ll see what happens.. Are you using particle-board Scott?

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #23 of 89 Old 08-30-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Since the sub is going into a bedroom, one thing you might do to assist it is use bass shakers.. on your bed. That will bring a greater cinematic depth to movies and may also come in handy as a 'marital aid'.
post #24 of 89 Old 08-30-2013, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Since the sub is going into a bedroom, one thing you might do to assist it is use bass shakers.. on your bed. That will bring a greater cinematic depth to movies and may also come in handy as a 'marital aid'.

Hey shady! That’s a good idea, but that’s also a option I would never consider, Thank you though. I would ad more woofs if I needed to. The sub I’m building will be more than what I’m running in there now and it has plenty of feel, so this ought to be hopefully all good considering I expect more out of it.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #25 of 89 Old 08-30-2013, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Lol it was just a joke. Your SDX is going to sound awesome in there.
post #26 of 89 Old 08-30-2013, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Lol, give me credit for trying to be nice. The days of our subs goes on. bass shakers

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #27 of 89 Old 08-31-2013, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I received shipping confirmation yesterday and noticed that what's on the way weighs 85 lbs shipping weight. So although this sub might come in on the small side as subs go over here in DIY, it’s going to be very heavy for it’s size after adding enclosure weight. I need to come up with a name for this little guy?

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #28 of 89 Old 09-02-2013, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I'm sure you'll be very creative in both the build and the name. Looking forward to your progress.

Bob
post #29 of 89 Old 09-02-2013, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative Sound View Post

Hi,

I'm sure you'll be very creative in both the build and the name. Looking forward to your progress.

Bob

Hey Bob good to see yuh and Thank you for your confidence.. I do hope this build is worthy of your driver. Anyway the name has been figured out in another post I made that is now reflected in this thread header. smile.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #30 of 89 Old 09-03-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 1686
A 12? I thought you would be building a cab for one of those new 24's? Put it under the bed, it might spice things up with the Mrs. biggrin.gif
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page