Help me Decide: Fusion 10 Max vs. Fusion 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 08-30-2013, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey everyone, I'm getting very close to pulling the trigger on a pair of SEOS for my theater to replace my poor polk m60s. I am admittedly a tight wad so I want great value, which will be the case with either choice here, Fusion 10 Max or Fusion 12. My room is 3600 cubes, 75% movies 25% music. No room treatments. I have a single F-20 on sub duty, no EQ capability yet (will be coming soon).

I really like the look of the Fusion 12, not my main criteria but still a consideration, but that shouldn't really matter much since I will be building grilles for these. My question specifically is, what are the differences between these two speakers SQ wise? I realize that the difference in price is minimal, but if the speakers hardly sound different, it would be worth it to me to save that amount. Also, I doubt that I would be listening at reference levels except for very rare occasions. I would love for people who have heard both of these speakers to weigh in. Ready, Go! biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-30-2013, 08:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 776
I think lots of people favor the DNA360 with a 12"

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3 of 16 Old 08-30-2013, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, it seems like that is what people favor most of the time. It would just be nice to hear some peoples opinions from more of a A/B comparison standpoint. I think Sibuna owns both speakers, and Erich has probably heard both. I will try sending a PM.
post #4 of 16 Old 08-30-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 270
I did not spend a lot of time running the Fusion 10s as mains (i use them for rears) however from when i did compaired to the 12s they are really close, they will not play as low if you run them full range however they sound equally as good in terms of detail and clairity. Running them with a sub depending on xover frequency it would be hard to tell them apart, you give up a little in the midrange. its similar to the difference between the 12 and 15 options IMO. at least thats how i felt when i heard the sentinals

Both will play LOUD without a ton of power being tossed at them.

as you are mostly HT and have that massive sub id save money and get the 10s, if you see yourself listning to a lot of music without a sub the 12 would be the better choice

the tempests IMO are better looking but thats just me
gw742296 likes this.
post #5 of 16 Old 08-30-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogeng182 View Post

Yes, it seems like that is what people favor most of the time. It would just be nice to hear some peoples opinions from more of a A/B comparison standpoint. I think Sibuna owns both speakers, and Erich has probably heard both. I will try sending a PM.

I would love to hear his opinion here if possible... as well as others. I am interested, as I am looking at the same things.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #6 of 16 Old 08-30-2013, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

I did not spend a lot of time running the Fusion 10s as mains (i use them for rears) however from when i did compaired to the 12s they are really close, they will not play as low if you run them full range however they sound equally as good in terms of detail and clairity. Running them with a sub depending on xover frequency it would be hard to tell them apart, you give up a little in the midrange. its similar to the difference between the 12 and 15 options IMO. at least thats how i felt when i heard the sentinals

Both will play LOUD without a ton of power being tossed at them.

as you are mostly HT and have that massive sub id save money and get the 10s, if you see yourself listning to a lot of music without a sub the 12 would be the better choice

the tempests IMO are better looking but thats just me

Thank you Sibuna,

Is there any advantage to using capable mains without a sub for music? I plan on crossing over to my sub at 80 for music and movies, I just can't see myself not using my sub for everything.
post #7 of 16 Old 08-30-2013, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Don't discount the Pure. If you're not a reference level kind of guy, that's a great way to go. The response is actually a little smoother. The Max crosses the CD over low and hard to optimize for surround use with high SPL. Like what Sibuna did. He used exactly as they were intended. That doesn't mean they're not good mains, just that if not an SPL junkie, I'd go for the Pure.
post #8 of 16 Old 08-30-2013, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Tux for throwing that out there. However, I showed pictures of the 10 and 12 Fusions to my wife, and she likes the look of the 12s better biggrin.gif For once WAF works in my favor lol! Thanks for the help everyone.

So glad I found this forum.
post #9 of 16 Old 08-30-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 270
lol thats awesome thats she likes it better but does she realize how large they are? i only mean to warn you so you don't have an issues later. The boxes are larger than I thought just looking at pictures
post #10 of 16 Old 08-30-2013, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

lol thats awesome thats she likes it better but does she realize how large they are? i only mean to warn you so you don't have an issues later. The boxes are larger than I thought just looking at pictures

For the good of my theater audio I am willing to take a chance here. Plus we are going car shopping soon for her daily driver, this helps my case immensely smile.gif But really, she has been very cool about my theater stuff since the beginning.
post #11 of 16 Old 08-30-2013, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Ya, the 12" versions do look way better. And I designed the thing redface.gif
post #12 of 16 Old 08-30-2013, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 168
I don't know the timeline that this would be realized, but with the SEOS 10's on the way, you can expect to see narrower 10"SEOS+10"Driver designs..
post #13 of 16 Old 09-05-2013, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Pulled the trigger today on a pair of Fusion 10 Pure biggrin.gif I figure if I feel the need to upgrade, then I can move onto something like the 12 or the 15, but for now, the 10 will do for a starter build... well assembly really. I'm taking advantage of the flat packs and assembled crossovers, also ordered duratex, speaker cloth, more speaker wire, and magnets. Starts to add up with all that but I can at least use the extra Duratex for coating my F20(hoping that there is enough for that).

I have a couple of newbie questions:
1) Does the baffle that comes with the kit have a roundover?
2) Will the flat packs come with the inside baffle precut to fit the woofer?
3) Is a solder connection necessary at the crossover wires to the binding posts?

Thanks for the input guys, I have been waiting for what seems like an eternity for this project!
post #14 of 16 Old 09-05-2013, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Afaik, yes, yes, and no. You can use a crimp connector but solder is the best.
post #15 of 16 Old 09-05-2013, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

Afaik, yes, yes, and no. You can use a crimp connector but solder is the best.

Straight to the point smile.gif Thx Tux
post #16 of 16 Old 09-05-2013, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogeng182 View Post

Pulled the trigger today on a pair of Fusion 10 Pure biggrin.gif I figure if I feel the need to upgrade, then I can move onto something like the 12 or the 15, but for now, the 10 will do for a starter build... well assembly really. I'm taking advantage of the flat packs and assembled crossovers, also ordered duratex, speaker cloth, more speaker wire, and magnets. Starts to add up with all that but I can at least use the extra Duratex for coating my F20(hoping that there is enough for that).

I have a couple of newbie questions:
1) Does the baffle that comes with the kit have a roundover?
2) Will the flat packs come with the inside baffle precut to fit the woofer?
3) Is a solder connection necessary at the crossover wires to the binding posts?

Thanks for the input guys, I have been waiting for what seems like an eternity for this project!

I ordered 3 Fusion 10 Pure's yesterday morning, with flat packs and assembled crossovers too. I was looking at the Max, but after a few emails with Erich, I decided on the Pure's. I'm excited to start the "build" and will probably start a build thread here too. I also had the question about the binding posts I'm glad you asked it and tux responded so quickly. I will probably have a lot more questions once I start too, I'm a complete newbie, my first time attempting something like this. If this goes well I will be choosing 4 of the 8" for surrounds, but I hear there might be some smaller, cheaper surround designs coming. Good luck!
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page