replacing Diaural crossovers in Edge Audio 502D's / Aperion Audio - suggestions needed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-04-2013, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
My parents have a set of five Edge Audio 502D's and after further research, it turns out this was the original name of Aperion Audio before they rebranded. I was going to toss the speakers and go with a B&W setup but these sounded pretty darned good. Taking a peek under the hood....Vifa drivers. The one drawback is the Diaural crossovers; they're notoriously inefficient (84/db). The speakers are nice as as are the drivers....I've researched a bit and learned that the current crossover point is 2k Hz, the 9db down point for both mid and tweeter.

So....I'd like to swap out the crossovers for a traditional crossover, in hopes of gaining some efficiency as the amp is 80x5 watts. I disassembled and pics are below. Suggestions on what crossover to buy/build? P-E has some Dayton units at $30/ea that have a 2k Hz x-over point. Any feedback is appreciated.

Vifa tweeters:

th_null_zps74168e4b.jpg

Vifa midranges:

th_null_zps11c2b8a3.jpg

Diaural crossovers (this is the best I could do as they're glued down):

th_null_zps985eeedb.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-04-2013, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

the rear port is 1" in diameter and 2.5" in length. just a note to myself so I don't forget. smile.gif
post #3 of 6 Old 09-05-2013, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 135
I highly doubt that any off the shelf generic crossover will improve things any at all. You need to measure everything and have some skills with regard to crossover design. Home audio is very different than car audio, which is what.i am assuming gave you the Idea of using a generic crossover, if not, I apologize, but none the less, without measurements you are shooting in the dark.
post #4 of 6 Old 09-05-2013, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

I talked to Madisound and they don't think its worth the effort as these particular Vifa drivers are not anything special. I ordered a generic Dayton 2-way butterworth at 2k hz and will try it out...can't hurt at $30 and the return policy is fair.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-06-2013, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
The vifa woofer in the speaker only has a sensitivity of 87db 1/w. If the speaker has a sensitivity of 83db they currently only have 4 db of baffle step compensation and you won't get any better out of another crossover that is properly designed for that speaker. The off the shelf crossovers from Parts express don't have any baffle step compensation built into them and so even if the rest of the XO was perfect for the drivers (it won't be) they will sound like they don't have any bass.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-06-2013, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the feedback. I came to the conclusion last night that I'm just putting band-aids all over these between swapping crossovers and buying new stands for them. The stands are going back and I scored a deal on some Klipsch towers (x 3) plus a pair of dipole rears (best for the layout of this room). This is a dedicated theater room so dynamics and volume > intricate details for music. I've got an 80x5 Emotiva UPA-500 for them so it should work out well.

I'll put these Edge speakers on a 2ch amp for second zone music in the workroom that's right behind the theater room.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page