Who has modified/upgraded Def Tech BP2002TL's - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-05-2013, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone,

I have upgradeitis and would like to do some minor or major upgrades to my speakers. These speakers about 15 yrs old and I have to believe that there is some small upgrades that I can do to enhance/improve the sound. New caps, crossovers, internal wiring, drivers. I have the skills to replace just about all of these things, just don't have expertise.

I have to replace one tweeter but Def Tech only offers original parts for my series of speakers. With all the new tech nowadays, there has to be better stuff. I know that there are some serious guru's out there who could help. Any and all opinions are welcomed.

FYI, being a musician for 30 yrs, I know what sounds good and what doesn't. These speakers are ok, but they sound tired and i know they can be better. Just bought a PA, Sherbourn PA 7-350, and this has helped tremendously. The bad thing, if there is such a thing, is that the new found power has revealed some flaws that my onkyo tx-nr3008 was masking (obviously due to a lack of power).

I know there are def tech lovers and haters out there, and i would love to update my speakers, but at this moment, it aint possible. Just want to give these girls a pretty facelift, thats all.

Again, any advice is welcomed.

Tommy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-05-2013, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 16
i have bp2002 as well. take a look at what deftech has done to that speaker line for some ideas.

they only have a single mid firing backwards whereas the original has two. could just be cost cutting or real benefit. who knows?

New systems have subs and passive radiators with bigger amps.

etc...

Gaugster
post #3 of 9 Old 09-05-2013, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

I have two mids firing backwards. I have looked but they don't let out a bunch of info
post #4 of 9 Old 09-05-2013, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 151
I would love to see someone build a bipolar tower similar to a Def Tech BP series speaker. You could design an enclosure that could house duel AE TD6's and a single Dayton RS28 on each side of the speaker, front and rear, then add a Dayton HF15 powered by a Bash 500 watt plate amp. That would probably best the BP-7000's, assuming that the crossover was done right. Unfortunately I lack the crossover design skills to make that a reality, so at this point this is all fantasy talk.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-05-2013, 09:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 943
you could have got much more bang for your buck upgrading the speakers first...but what's done is done...so that's more of a comment for the next guy.

i'm not sure what components in the speakers could be upgraded without doing a total redesign, so your best bet for improving the overall sound may actually be some good room treatments and experimenting with placement. of course, i have no idea how much of this you have done already.

good read here: http://ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

one of the better talks that I've ever heard on the topic is by linkwitz. linked up here: http://www.linkwitzlab.com/publications.htm#23

dr. geddes has quite a bit of good information on his site as well: http://www.gedlee.com/Loudspeakers.htm

his summa loudspeakers would be a nice upgrade. or you could diy a set for much less money.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-06-2013, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter

I haven't started the upgrades yet
post #7 of 9 Old 09-06-2013, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 151
I agree with LTD02 about upgrading the room treatments. But, you have to be careful with regards to using room treatments with bipolar speakers because they are meant to have reflections off the front wall as that creates ambiance and presents the really good envelopment that Def Tech's are known for.

With regards to upgrading the drivers, if you wanted to upgrade the mids to something better, perhaps a Seos or Tang Band 5 & 1/4" drivers, you would have to model them and make sure that they would perform well in that enclosure, then you would have to have a totally new crossover built. This would probably be a massive under taking and would most certainly cost a lot more than they are worth.

I still think it would be really cool for someone to build a DIY bipolar tower similar to the Def Tech BP series! Maybe one day someone will actually do that!
post #8 of 9 Old 09-06-2013, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=213966

Here's a thread about a guy who upgraded his BP2000s.

Living room: Definitive BP2000TL, CLR3000, BPVX, Quad SI 18" subs
Bedroom: Definitive BP30, CLR2000 Also have had: BP7000SC, BP8B, BP10B, BPX, Dayton 15" HF subs, Rythmik F15
post #9 of 9 Old 09-06-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 943
while enthusiastic, that guy doesn't appear to know what he was doing...who knows what he ended up with.

Listen. It's All Good.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page