SI 18s- 6 in Sono Tubes - Build is done - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 268 Old 09-12-2013, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 136
HEHEH.... McMinamens got the best of me today. Damn growlers..........

Fiddling with my home built NAS box. today

FS- Peavey IPR 2 7500, Art Clean Box Pro, Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 2, Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
Theater Build and Two Sono Sub Builds Here-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 268 Old 09-12-2013, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post

HEHEH.... McMinamens got the best of me today. Damn growlers..........

Fiddling with my home built NAS box. today

The old take a break routine huh! That’s cool.. router at will says you.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #93 of 268 Old 09-13-2013, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Router should show up today for a weekend of fun.

But I Might go crabbing up in Astoria of all places. Actually we usually have dumped in on the WA side, in some bay.

If I make it up that way this weekend I'll msg you...... won't lie..... just wanna see that 12" sub. haha.

If not this weekend it will be soon.....
steve nn likes this.

My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 2, Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
post #94 of 268 Old 09-13-2013, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

just ordered 6 SI 8-d4s. biggrin.gif

post #95 of 268 Old 09-13-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Did u have to call in to get the special pricing?
post #96 of 268 Old 09-13-2013, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I called to discuss shipping charges, and also got a discount on my 6 woofs. smile.gif

post #97 of 268 Old 09-13-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice what did you pay for them?
post #98 of 268 Old 09-13-2013, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

yep--- not an easy task to get a hold of those peeps.

post #99 of 268 Old 09-13-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Router should show up today for a weekend of fun.

But I Might go crabbing up in Astoria of all places. Actually we usually have dumped in on the WA side, in some bay.

If I make it up that way this weekend I'll msg you...... won't lie..... just wanna see that 12" sub. haha.

If not this weekend it will be soon.....

I’ll reply to you in your thread. I think that’s totally cool how we have been neighbors and didn’t even realise it.. lol So your comeing up to go crabbing. I hadn’t realized it was upon us so soon! Probably not much meat in them this early? hope so though. I just sprayed my top on the enclosure and yeah sure as heck I got a few bubbles where the veneer came up. I knew this was a big possibility. It will be fine though, no biggie as things go in life right? I’m going to have to post or should I try to hide it? Your not going to tell anybody are you?

Alright so you ordered your drivers! Uh you do know what they weigh as apposed to the little rebel rouser driver don’t you? biggrin.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #100 of 268 Old 09-16-2013, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Haha, that guy had two he was selling at that price. Guess who got the other one smile.gif Hehe

Beast, have you tried out your new IPR amp yet? I just powered mine on tonight and I let the smoke out with nothing connected.

I powered it off and back on again and it actually caught fire inside. Looks like my great deal will be goin back. frown.gif
post #101 of 268 Old 09-16-2013, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloms View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Haha, that guy had two he was selling at that price. Guess who got the other one smile.gif Hehe

Beast, have you tried out your new IPR amp yet? I just powered mine on tonight and I let the smoke out with nothing connected.

I powered it off and back on again and it actually caught fire inside. Looks like my great deal will be goin back. frown.gif

Wow are you serious? eek.gifmad.gif
post #102 of 268 Old 09-16-2013, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I'm joining you, I just ordered two HT-18D2s. I called in the order to get the special pricing, they shipped them out in a matter of hours. I plan build quad sealed, but coukd nly afford to get two units today. Too many unexpected home repair bills lately. I decided to get two so I could start the project. Still ytrying to figure out which amp(s) to buy. It either needs to be able to handle 2 ohms at 2000 watts per channel or I will need to get two units for the four subs. I'm not sure how many amps can handle 2 ohm loads at such high power.

post #103 of 268 Old 09-16-2013, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freniata View Post

Wow are you serious? eek.gifmad.gif

Unfortunately yes. I wouldn't put too much into my isolated incident. This was a supposed demo model that was a great deal. Not such a great deal anymore. Now I need to find another high power amp for my quad of SI 18's.
post #104 of 268 Old 09-16-2013, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

0.0.........that SUCKS!!!! so sorry man. that's totally dissapointing
post #105 of 268 Old 09-16-2013, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Unfortunately yes. I wouldn't put too much into my isolated incident. This was a supposed demo model that was a great deal. Not such a great deal anymore. Now I need to find another high power amp for my quad of SI 18's.

Yikes! so sorry man, what a bummer. mad.gif Hang in there, it'll work out.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #106 of 268 Old 09-17-2013, 02:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys!! Now just to find a deal on a new one. I don't have sub boxes built yet anyways so I'm not in a rush right now.
post #107 of 268 Old 09-17-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:

Man, wow! I can't believe that. Mine has been pounding along, but I looked back and we had different sellers, so one would hope your demo unit is certainly an isolated incident.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #108 of 268 Old 09-17-2013, 10:34 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:

Wah!? Woah, that sucks man. I hope nothing else of yours got damaged. That and that you get a 100% non-fire-catching replacement. wink.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #109 of 268 Old 09-17-2013, 10:35 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:

just ordered 6 SI 8-d4s. biggrin.gif

NICE!!!

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #110 of 268 Old 09-18-2013, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Been off this part of the board for a bit.... but .... WOW. Sorry to hear that. Not only does that really suck for you that's a very dangerous thing to have happen. If one were to hook things up, run it, and leave the room with it powered on and that happened forget about it. Scary....

Did it not come with a warranty? I would think Peavy would want that thing pronto for inspection. Was it modded by the previous owner? This, to me, seems very serious. Turn something one and it catches fire? eek.gif

Let us know how it turns out.

post #111 of 268 Old 09-18-2013, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So we finally got a break in the weather and I busted out the new Router. biggrin.gif Got it all setup and banged out the first plug without issue.

Check up top for pics and info.

post #112 of 268 Old 09-19-2013, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Pictures:

Step one- cutting 4x8' sheets into squares so I can router my circles.

Since I'm doing double plugs inside the sonotube (OK - some call them baffles) I found a creative way to utilize some scrap wood.

Using tight bond 2 I glued two 12.5" pieces together on top of a 24.5" square. My plunge router will go 2.5" deep so I can route out both inner plugs at the same time and save on wood at the same time.

However, I'm not brave enough to glue all my 24.5" boards together yet. I need to see how the router bit handles 1.5" and glue.

Fingers crossed!

Started cutting circles today. Banged three or four out and thought to myself, why the hell am I not cutting the inner circle out with the jig hooked up, as that was taking the most time. Setting the jig for each plug (ok, I know they are baffles, from here on out I will refer them as such).

So, I got onto SI s website and looked up the cutout data. 16.7", converted into a fraction it's like between about 16 and 11/16ths...... Great. Divide that in two, 8.35 or about 8 and 3/8ths.

Set up the circle jig with the router bit 8 and 3.8ths out, make my cut. Some how I'm not understanding how to cut the inner diameter correctly because the hole I was left with was 17 and 1/4..... 1/2" too big. The circle that came out was the size I needed the hole to be.

No idea where I went wrong or how to calculate it. I know that 1/4" of that was not measuring the bit on the inside of the cut, vs. the outside as is done for the first circle. No idea where the other 1/4" went. I have to fiddle with it in a way as to not waste wood. Like draw my circle then line the router up and figure out where I'm going wrong that way.

I can still use the baffle as a bottom piece since it won't matter if the hole is bigger than the driver's mounting ring.

Anyways..... after that mistake things went down hill quickly. I forgot to center the jig anchor in the middle of the board. Instead I centered it at the circle half way mark. rolleyes.gif

Then, I was back to routing along banging out circles like a worker on the assembly line and the damn bit broke. I've decided Harbor Freight is off limits. That's down right unsafe. I was only making 1/4" deep cuts, three passes, and I wasn't romping on the thing. POS.... that was it for the night.

I am buying a high end bit tomorrow and will hopefully finish all the squares I have.

On the plus side.... with a 1/4" bit I was able to go 1/2" over on my square cutouts. So a 24.5" square leaves almost nothing at the high points.

You did have a rough day didn’t you? Sorry about that, been there done that and still do. Man those circles are close! Glad to see you made some headway though, looking good! wink.gifsmile.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #113 of 268 Old 09-19-2013, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks. Ya it was going so smooth then just went to sh@t in the blink of any eye.

post #114 of 268 Old 09-19-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. Ya it was going so smooth then just went to sh@t in the blink of any eye.

Oh man not fun! You're also building so many at one time frown.gif I would hate it!

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #115 of 268 Old 09-19-2013, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Better day today. Got 14 of the 16 inner baffles cut, inner and outer.

I finally figured out how to get an accurate cut on the inner circle. I was getting variances up to a 3/8" and I couldn't figure out why.

I found this series of YouTube vids and from there it all fell into place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGln-1qd5gM This is part two, but the entire series is good for cutting exact measurements. He doesn't come out and say it, but if you watch his steps he lays the entire cut out before he makes one cut. And this guy is talking about cuts to the 32nd.

In other words all his measurements are made from the get go.

I was measuring my outer circle, which by the way always came out 'tits', and then measuring my inner circle. Even though the center point did not change, for some reason the inner circle cut would always vary. Once I started laying out all my cuts before I made the first one I got accurate and consistent results.

That and get rid of the freaking tape measure. Use a steel ruler. I started using a framing edge and my precision doubled. wink.gif

Another tip I got from the YouTube video that was good, but I don't know if it helped, was to measure out your inner and outer lines and mark them on your board. Then put the router in the jig on the board and lower it so you can slide it to the point where the wide part of the bit hits your measure marks.

I was putting the jig on and measuring from the bit back to the center pin.

Hope this helps someone. Everyone has their methods that work, but for those like me who have no methods it's good info! smile.gif

Anyways....... just like yesterday my day ended with another broken bit. I was in the home stretch cutting the second to the last inner baffle and half way through the first cut it just snapped. This time it was my fault though. I got greedy and tried to split the cuts into two cuts not three. tongue.gif

I'll get a new one tomorrow and finish up the inner baffles.

I might start on the outer baffles but I want to see what edge profile I want to go with which might determine that I go with a larger outer baffle than originally though. I got a half to 3/4 of a day before the rain hits. Then I'm out a dead stop on cuts for the foreseeable future. Oregon...rolleyes.gif

Once ski season hits I'm gone with projects.... God I hope I don't have to go without base all winter. frown.gif

Pics updated on page one. biggrin.gif

post #116 of 268 Old 09-19-2013, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1334
Sounds like you are making headway. Did you ever get your other subs sent off? You can PM me details if you like smile.gif
post #117 of 268 Old 09-19-2013, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

Sounds like you are making headway. Did you ever get your other subs sent off? You can PM me details if you like smile.gif

Ya if I can just get all the cutting and majority of any sanding done I can move the rest of this product in my garage, which is actually a fully finished full blown Gym... with a little spot to wax our snowboards. But I'll make room to do one tube at a time.

RE: the PSA subs, no not yet. I have the packaging and the pallets ready to go. As soon as it rains here, this weekend is the word, I'll spend a some time packing them up.

post #118 of 268 Old 09-19-2013, 09:15 PM

Liked: 12
Even though I just moved into my new house and not settled in yet, after seeing your build thread and Steven's SDX build, I got real antsy......so I left work early today and got one of my 18s finished up, hooked up, and fired up. I've been listening to music for the last hour and smiling the whole time. Lol

Here's a little motivation for you to finish yours up..... smile.gif

post #119 of 268 Old 09-19-2013, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Saweet! Did you build that? Looks good!

All smiles must mean you're happy with it. What amp are you using?

post #120 of 268 Old 09-19-2013, 09:30 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Saweet! Did you build that? Looks good!

All smiles must mean you're happy with it. What amp are you using?

Yes I built it. It was my first time doing some real wood working. It was a super long build that took me 8-9 months. I started the first box in early spring doing a little bit here and there, finished up the raw cabs, fired them up for a little bit, then I got tied up with work and neglected them. The lady also didn't like how big and imposing the box was in our living room.

I moved over to the West side in June, and bought a house with a room I can use for a dedicated theater. I was going to wait til the house work settled down to get the boxes finished, build some new speakers and reconfigure my system. You guys got me all antsy, so..........

I am using an old Crest Audio FA1201. It's old ancient technology, but it's a tank and is indestructible.

Here's a couple build pics if you're curious.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page