Forum Jump: 

Old 10-10-2013, 06:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
"...aromatic red cedar..."

creative. somehow the mockup that you did got changed when i posted it in #18. the wood on top of that looks like cedar, so i suppose it was there all along. :-)

i suppose you will have the best smelling marty out there. wait, that doesn't sound quite right.

here it is again...kind of looks cedar...huh?

Listen. It's All Good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2013, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

My main problem is that this sub seems to have absolutely no output above 30hz or so. It just rumbles and shakes the house, absolutely zero mid-bass. I am so upset over this, as I just can not figure out what the problem is??

How deep is that sub, about 4'?

A reflection inside the enclosure off the rear wall would cause a cancellation centered around 80hz would it not? I think there may have been a similar problem with the SI18 16cuft boxes I built for Zheka. My measurements showed a 5dB dip that was centered around 120hz and that was with a lot of damping material right in the center of the box.

The Dayton DVC 15's I built in a similar style 10cuft enclosures also seemed to lack some bass kick.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 1168
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

"...aromatic red cedar..."creative. somehow the mockup that you did got changed when i posted it in #18. the wood on top of that looks like cedar, so i suppose it was there all along. :-)i suppose you will have the best smelling marty out there. wait, that doesn't sound quite right.here it is again...kind of looks cedar...huh?[IMG ALT=""]http://www.avsforum.com/content/type/61/id/279744/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

When I build.furniture I often veer from my original idea , and i add parts to make it fancier . When finished I will update my sketchup. This box will be pretty sweet when I'm done biggrin.gif
Old 10-10-2013, 07:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

"A reflection inside the enclosure off the rear wall would cause a cancellation centered around 80hz would it not?"

yes, a very narrow, high q, notch.

Listen. It's All Good.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I think the low end of boosted somehow. Did you rerun the avr room correction? Also you can run a low shelf in you have eq to make it sound more pronounce.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Throwing this out there but if u have a port dia. Of 6in then then end of your port should be about 6in away or more from the back of your enclosure or it would add and unknown length to the port?
Old 10-10-2013, 08:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

"Throwing this out there but if u have a port dia. Of 6in then then end of your port should be about 6in away or more from the back of your enclosure or it would add and unknown length to the port?"

wrong thread.

Listen. It's All Good.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

"I think the low end of boosted somehow. Did you rerun the avr room correction? Also you can run a low shelf in you have eq to make it sound more pronounce."

great point. if the avr was set up for the sealed subs that he had before and then applied that boost to the marty sub it would just be nothing but bottom end.

Listen. It's All Good.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:

"Throwing this out there but if u have a port dia. Of 6in then then end of your port should be about 6in away or more from the back of your enclosure or it would add and unknown length to the port?"

wrong thread.
Okay what thread then?
Old 10-10-2013, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Marty is a slot port... not round.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 172
I have the room correction set to "off", so that should not be an issue. I have the positive wire that comes out of the subs positive terminal connected to the speakon's +1 and the negative connected to the -1 . Is that the correct way of doing it?

My amp is a Behringer iNuke 3000 (non dsp). I may not have the amp setup correctly. Which setting should I have each of the two switches set to? There is one switch that says Crossover/Hf/Lf or Full Range, and the other switch says bridged or mono. I have tries every possible combination of settings but to no avail.

It has to be either enclosure related or cable related. I am thinking that it is enclosure related as my MFW-15 is working fine when connected to my iNuke 3000. Any other suggestions on why my HO18 has no mid-bass output at all?
Old 10-11-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

now, rerun room calibration,...the midbass is there but it is too clean and you're getting too much room gain, the low fr is overpowering, the sound becomes mudd and slow. Is this one sub or 2 sub? You will need to 2 but to balance it out if you have a null.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have two subs and they are not in a null because I have tried them all over the room, it has something to do with either the enclosure of wiring. I don't use the room correction features.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

You will need eq for sure. When I first build my 1st sub, I blew 2 ae av15h because I didn't have enough mid bass. After rew and eq. I don't think I can handle more bass in my 14000cu room. Well that's a lie biggrin.gif I could use more but I don't need it. It's the low end overpowering and a big bump somewhere that needs to be tame. It will take a few days to notice how clean your bass is. Sometime clean bass makes the volume seem low.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Its a bit sad you are not happy with your build. Ill admit I haven't read all the posts here but it seems real strange the it drops off like that. Also Its a bit hard figuring out whats wrong when you cant measure the sub or your in-room response. Have you tried stuffing the ports and running it sealed? If so what did that sound like? Are you sure it drops above 30Hz and not ~50 or 60Hz? The other marty sub measured in post 377 onwards looked like it had that tendency, although I am not aware if yours are an identical build.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 74
more than a bit I'd say frown.gif. sorry it's not going so well with your sub marty... hopefully it's something simple like a room spike, but it MIGHT be you're wiring... the 2 I have in my room are simply destructive beyond belief in the midbass so something is up.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I will be done my Marty sub by next Friday and I have inuke 3000 dsp. I will be using rew and i hope my results are similar to Mike's cool.gif
Old 10-11-2013, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

I have the positive wire that comes out of the subs positive terminal connected to the speakon's +1 and the negative connected to the -1 . Is that the correct way of doing it?

My amp is a Behringer iNuke 3000 (non dsp). I may not have the amp setup correctly. Which setting should I have each of the two switches set to? There is one switch that says Crossover/Hf/Lf or Full Range, and the other switch says bridged or mono. I have tries every possible combination of settings but to no avail.

I took a look at the manual. Its not overly clear, but I believe you have connected the speacons correctly. As I understand the manual, both subs should have their speacons connected as you describe. The first switch should be placed in the mono position if you have only one signal cable going into the amplifier from the pre-amp. That way both subs are powered with identical signals from output channel A and B. The manual doesn't say if you should use input channel A or B , but assume its A. The other switch should be placed in position "full range". Otherwise you engage the crossover function and you dont need that.

What about the protective high pass filter?? You might need that to protect the woofer from over excursion below tuning.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

"I have the positive wire that comes out of the subs positive terminal connected to the speakon's +1 and the negative connected to the -1 . Is that the correct way of doing it?"

that will work for wiring to a single channel, which should give you about 500 watts or so and that should be enough to get you going for sure.

if you want to run bridged mode, the amp requires that the black wire that you have connected to 1- be taken out of 1- and plugged into the hole called 2+.

this is what it says on the back of your amp. bridge: 1+ (pos.) 2+ (neg.)

wire it that way and plug the cable into Channel A. that should give you up to about 2200 watts, which is too much power! so if you do that, be careful or you might bar-b-que your subwoofer.

the other selectors should be set:
mode: stereo (unless you wire for bridge mode of course)
crossover: full range

Listen. It's All Good.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

"the 2 I have in my room are simply destructive beyond belief in the midbass so something is up."

what?

"the 2...I have in my room are simply destructive beyond belief in the midbass so something is up."

what?

"the 2...I have in my room are...simply destructive...beyond belief in the midbass so something is up."

what?

"the 2...I have...in my room are...simply destructive...beyond belief...in the midbass...so something...is up."

oh. got it. :-)~

Listen. It's All Good.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

These speakon connectors are the devil! I absolutely hate these things as I can not easily get the wired to stay down while I tighten the screws, and even when I do get them tightened, they come off with only a simple tug!

Hey Marty,

I'm not sure if this has been answered yet, but you might try stripping the wire 24mm instead of 12mm, then fold the bare wire end in half and insert it into the cup next to the screw. With more wire volume in the cup, the screw should be able to provide a solid purchase and prevent the wire from pulling out.

Alternatively, you could "tin" the end of the wire with some solder, and that may do the trick. My experience (with all of 4 Speakon connectors) is that the design is effective for retaining 12g wire securely. Since a 12g conductor is fairly large, a 16g or 18g conductor may be too small for this system to work unless you double up on the amount of wire in the cup.

Hope this helps! wink.gif
Old 10-12-2013, 01:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"the 2 I have in my room are simply destructive beyond belief in the midbass so something is up."

what?

"the 2...I have in my room are simply destructive beyond belief in the midbass so something is up."

what?

"the 2...I have in my room are...simply destructive...beyond belief in the midbass so something is up."

what?

"the 2...I have...in my room are...simply destructive...beyond belief...in the midbass...so something...is up."

oh. got it. :-)~

Rotfl!!!!
Old 10-12-2013, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I finally figured out how to get the wire to stay in the connector, you have to only strip off a small amount of the wires sheathing and leave some of the sheeting on to fit down in the hole.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The problems that I am having with the sub not producing mid-bass, at all, can now be proven not to be a mistake with the wiring as I plugged my old sub up to my iNuke 3000 using the same cable that I have with my Marty Sub, and the older sub sounded great with the same cable.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Can you test for air leaks around the
driver and seams?
Old 10-12-2013, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

"The problems that I am having with the sub not producing mid-bass, at all, can now be proven not to be a mistake with the wiring as I plugged my old sub up to my iNuke 3000 using the same cable that I have with my Marty Sub, and the older sub sounded great with the same cable."

sounds like you got the cable working. the screw in the neutrik is supposed to contact the wire directly, but maybe there wasn't enough wire in this case.

it is still a mystery: "am having with the sub not producing mid-bass, at all,..."

like worm mentioned...if everything else is good, the amp, the eq, the wire, the driver, and so forth...it comes down to how well you put the box together and mounted the driver.

do you have lots of air leaks around your driver?

Listen. It's All Good.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

and is the polarity right? subwoofer with reversed polarity relative to mains will create a nice big suckout in the midbass.

Listen. It's All Good.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

and is the polarity right? subwoofer with reversed polarity relative to mains will create a nice big suckout in the midbass.

Hey Ltd. Where did you learn all this info ... at school , self taught ? If you were going to recommend one book that explains home theater stuff and how it relates to each other , amp , speaker , room , etc. ??? I think its time for me to do some reading and learn. A book that's not too technical would be nice biggrin.gif
Old 10-12-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

Hey Ltd. Where did you learn all this info ... at school , self taught ? If you were going to recommend one book that explains home theater stuff and how it relates to each other , amp , speaker , room , etc. ??? I think its time for me to some reading and learn. A book that's not too technical would be nice biggrin.gif

yes i would like to know too?
Old 10-12-2013, 06:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

to get a little bit of a feel for many of the key topics, jbl's sound system design reference manual is a great read and it's free:

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/manuals/pssdm_1.pdf

as for one book to get off to a good start, probably this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Reproduction-Acoustics-Psychoacoustics-Loudspeakers/dp/0240520092

as for the most important thing that most folks get confused about...how incredibly undersized most modern audio systems are relative to what they are trying to accomplish.

Listen. It's All Good.