Samson SX 3200 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 09-08-2013, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I am including this avs link to avoid repetition. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1464723/cv-2800.

This amplifier is basically one of many names of amplifiers with the same internals. The Samson SX 3200 has a few extra output transisitors or 12 per channel

I already use the Cerwin vega CV 2800 and have been very pleased with the results. Same amplifier with 10 output transisitors per channel.

On the amplifer board itself it will indicate, "v" . "CV", HP , etc, indicating the same board is used in many amplifiers.

I could not resist buying 4 of these do to price. All four brand new for 1800.00

The fans can be rewired in series to the fan output on one amplifier board, to quiet down and slow down the fans. They will run at half voltage.

Once again I will be hooking up lights to the front of the amp. I have removed the front sponges and replaced with Metal grates. So lighting can be used.

Very good amps for subwoofer, I recommend one sub per amp bridged.

Heres a pic of the SX 3200 with modified front grills.

A Good amplifier requires a adequate power supply, It does not matter what the amplifier is capable of if the power supply will not provide the power required. Most amplifiers have under rated power supplies. It is up to you to make sure you get the ones that are
least under rated if at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-08-2013, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a close up shot of the Samson SX 3200 amplifier board. Here is where you can clearly see, different amplifiers labeled. The main label states SX 2800, the remaining abbreviations show other amplifiers.

A Good amplifier requires a adequate power supply, It does not matter what the amplifier is capable of if the power supply will not provide the power required. Most amplifiers have under rated power supplies. It is up to you to make sure you get the ones that are
post #3 of 20 Old 09-08-2013, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a the freshest shot you will see, of the whole internals of the Samson SX. 3200. Interestingly enough, even though my amplifiers were very close in sequential serial numbers. Some had Black covers over the toroid, and this one had a silver cover.

post #4 of 20 Old 09-08-2013, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a closeup of the labeling of the Power supply PCB. They use the same one in all the amplifiers shown in the link on post #1. It would seem that all these different marketed Name Brands, are eager to put their name brands on these complete amplifiers. Most who do not search very deep simply think they are buying a name brands proprietary manufacturing, however it is just a high quality standard amplifier board and power supply, that all these name brands are adopting.

No doubt one of the many reasons, economies of scale have been achieved in the production of all these name brand amplifiers, as with all using the same boards and power supplies, Production and final costs, will be much lower than proprietary brands.

post #5 of 20 Old 09-08-2013, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

It should be noted the samson sx 3200 , has no subsonic filter set, has no limiter set, and does not have front panel metering, as the CV 2800 , and b52 US 4000 have. There is also only one combo xlr trs input, and no link inputs. However if you find a dead amplifier of another brand using these boards they can easily be added at a pretty cheap cost. A pretty dumb move not to include the link jacks, or at least could have supplied separate trs and xlr inputs, so one could be used as a link. Not too much bother to me however as I do not really require the links now, but have found them convenient in the past.

The only other amplifier with the 12 per channel like this amplifier is the B52 US 4000. For 649.00 each. A large premium over the samson. If you value the missing features, get the Cerwin Vega cv 2800 and go with 2 output transistors per channel less.

This concludes my update on the Samson SX 3200. I hope some find the info useful in making a decision on amplifier purchasing.

post #6 of 20 Old 09-09-2013, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

http://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.html?forum=amp&n=114415&highlight=samson+servo&r=&search_url=%2Fcgi%2Fsearch.mpl%3Fsearchtext%3Dsamson%2Bservo%26b%3DAND%26forum%3DALL%26topic%3D%26author%3D%26date1%3D%26date2%3D%26slowmessage%3D%26ip%3D%26sort%3Ddate%26sortOrder%3DDESC

Here is an excellent link, where a krell owner and also a levinson owner compare the Pro Samson SX 3200 As an equal alternative.

post #7 of 20 Old 09-09-2013, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I have an SX3200 as one of my sub amps. Good amp all around.
post #8 of 20 Old 09-10-2013, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

I agree A9X. Here I am showing the simple fan modification to make it quiet for home stereo use. Step one is to frey and cut the fan wires.

post #9 of 20 Old 09-10-2013, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

Both fans will be connected to the one fan plug shown above. You do this by wiring in series. Here is the other side showing the cut, You no longer use this fan plug, but you can use it for auxiliary lighting as I do if you wish.

post #10 of 20 Old 09-10-2013, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Now you get some spare wire, Here I just used blue marked speaker wire, which works just fine. Cut a piece long enough to reach each fan. Then connect the negative lead of one fan to the positive lead of the other fan, then tape, or solder and tape.

post #11 of 20 Old 09-10-2013, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Now you connect the positive lead of the right hand fan to the near by plug, no need for extra wire. Now you cut another piece of wire to run from the negative lead of the left fan to the negative power of the fan plug. All show in this picture. Just unplug the unused wires for the other fan or tape them up and your done. Once you turn on the amp, the fans will run at half voltage from one 24volt dc power supply, and be very quiet.
I did this to all my cerwin vega cv 2800 amplifiers and they have been going six years now no problems.

post #12 of 20 Old 09-10-2013, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnplayerson View Post

I agree A9X. Here I am showing the simple fan modification to make it quiet for home stereo use.
I don't recall mine being loud. It's not in use at the moment as I'm waiting for my other pair of FTW21 to turn up and to reallocate the amps for that. My system has a 12V auxiliary rail in the rack to power other items and power the fans in my very noisy Quest amps from that and will do the same for the Samson if it proves annoying. Fans will be on whenever the amp is on. The fans I have in that are 80mm Noctuas.
post #13 of 20 Old 09-25-2013, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

The fans are fairly quiet for pro amplifiers, but they are still a distraction for home audio use if left as original

http://www.design-mate.com/

Here is the company that is licencing its amplifiers to all these other brands. Samson, cerwin vega, b52, american audio, audiophony, and the list goes on!!.

I wonder if samson and cerwin etc will adopt their lightweight amplifiers? , they look pretty impressive.

post #14 of 20 Old 09-26-2013, 01:03 AM

Liked: 48
Ive had three samson sx 3200 amps. They have great sound quality in my opinion and provide plenty of power. I think alot of people overlook these amps because of the brand name which is a shame. They really are great amps.
post #15 of 20 Old 09-27-2013, 10:01 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolephile View Post

Ive had three samson sx 3200 amps. They have great sound quality in my opinion and provide plenty of power. I think alot of people overlook these amps because of the brand name which is a shame. They really are great amps.

I'll be using three of the sx1200's for an active set of LCR's. They will be running mid's and high's. These 3200's look pretty beefy.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #16 of 20 Old 09-28-2013, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter

I agree with you. A lot of people get tied up in a name brand too much in my opinion. I'm not saying this is necessarily bad, just that it leads to willingful blindness when it comes to giving respect for others designs.
I have some Yamaha, Klipsch, and rockford gear, that is all top of the line name brand, and do like them. However it is also my opinion in the amplifier world that quality has started to become easy to provide for
any brand name, as technology eventually comes full circle, with all amplifiers, both high and low end now adopting the same design and similiar quality.

Todays high power amps still use the same RCA amplifier technology introduced in 1954. The only difference is we have figured out how to increase the power substantially, and add a few design improvements to lower THD. Most people who owned amps like Krell etc, would be willingfully blind to the fact these are good, just to protect their own name brand, Not that they own the name brand, just that they feel insulted, having someone say an amplifier 1/4 the price is as good as theirs is, and will not accept or admit it.

In the Pro world Some Amplifiers may be way better for road travel etc , adding to the cost, but for home audio, Road worthiness is not even a factor.

If you look at what Emotiva is doing, they are providing some really good home audio amps at good prices, and if you look inside them they are using the same output devices that american audio is using
in the VLP series amplifiers. One begins to wonder what a direct comparison of a XPR amplifer to a VLP 2500 would reveal. as th vlp would be half the price of emotiva.

post #17 of 20 Old 09-28-2013, 06:15 PM

Liked: 48
Yep people sometimes rely on brand names too much. I can firmly say the Samson Sx 3200 and Yamaha Ps7000 are the best sounding pro amps ive heard under $1000.
post #18 of 20 Old 10-23-2013, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Three sx 1200s will be six channels at quite a bit of power lol. Here is one of the samson sx 3200 complete with all the modifications. 1. fans rewired in series to whisper quiet. 2. installation of dc step down converter and front lighting. 3. Removal of front sponges and replaced with black mesh grate. ( I really do not like the look of those sponges lol).

post #19 of 20 Old 11-19-2013, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

Here is the original HPA A3200. The Samson SX 3200 rebranded. The B52 US 4000 rebranded etc. Note how much bigger the toroidal looks without a
Cap installed.

post #20 of 20 Old 12-08-2013, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

I was rewiring the lights for my cerwin vega 2800 amplifiers, so i took advantage of the fact they are open to take a pic with a measuring tape. As you can see the toroidal transformers in these amps are almost 7 INCHES WIDE. You get a much larger toroid in these top of line HPA amplifiers than most other name brand amplifiers.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
Cerwin Vega Cv 2800 High Performance Power Amplifier , Samson Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page