Bought four sealed 18" cabinets on a wild hare - Direct me to a driver setup at least competitive or superior to JTR Captivators... - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 58Likes

post #361 of 375 Old 08-19-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
10 or 11Hz "tune" on the new Seaton might be partially dsp controlled instead of cabinet related since the ultimax 18" drivers are said to be capable of infinite baffle. That characteristic could lessen the box limitation with some fancy dynamic eq and dsp work.
Seaton sauce indeed...

Lil Seaton Stank!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 375 Old 08-19-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 655
JTR thread, mark was discussing it there ironically enough...haha

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #363 of 375 Old 08-19-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 814
That ported sub looked awesome, why did Mark never actually put it into production as one of his regular products?

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #364 of 375 Old 08-19-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
10 or 11Hz "tune" on the new Seaton might be partially dsp controlled instead of cabinet related since the ultimax 18" drivers are said to be capable of infinite baffle. That characteristic could lessen the box limitation with some fancy dynamic eq and dsp work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Might be able to pull the knee a little bit but a tune is a tune I would think. You pull more than 1-2hz, and dsp up that region, driver will unload awful quick. Like no warning gonna pop, fast. Of course you could then layer on a limiter to prevent it from getting to that point. Fine line there in between though if I had to guess.
DSP can only change the incoming electrical signal, not the physical resonance of a reflex port. The impedance measurements confirm a minimum at 11Hz, where visual observation with excursion & port output suggest 9.5-10.5Hz, below which excursion increases quickly, and some creative high pass filtering in the clunky, but very flexible, on-board DSP protects from nicely.

There are some tricks in the layout which help lower the tune which I originally expected to be closer to 12.5Hz and suspected should be lower, and in fact was. Testing such a large dimension box in detail showed many interesting behaviors I've been able to align models with, making for some fun potential in other designs armed with that knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post
Link to this 11hz tune specimen?
dlbeck was in town and popped into the office while I was testing it and grabbed a pic that ended up in the JTR thread a few days before I had things set to post on my forum. The same and more info is now in a new thread here on my forum.
carp and Archaea like this.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #365 of 375 Old 08-19-2014, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Awesome, thx!
post #366 of 375 Old 08-19-2014, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
That ported sub looked awesome, why did Mark never actually put it into production as one of his regular products?
The original design was a 6th order bandpass using an 18" PR and 15" driver. Itai, aka cubesys, who later founded iRule has the first prototypes. These worked quite well and in fact I'm updating them while in Michigan the next 2 days...

Jeff built a similar design as the very first Captivator which was first a bigger unit with single 18" & 15" for a customer I didn't think it was worth dealing with (I was right ). Jeff re-designed a more compact version on his own and started selling them before he diagnosed the issue/limitation of the PR we were using which worked and modeled perfectly at low levels, but had surround cavitation issues in unexpected conditions. Similar to this re-purposing, he changed to a very beefy 18" driver to keep delivering the product and so became the product many of you know so well.

I later determined what was required from a PR for this use (especially +/-30mm from an 18" in 1-2 cu.ft.!), and the off-the-shelf solutions don't fit directly in the original boxes. At the same time I ran into confidence issues with the reliable delivery of the intended drivers. Basically that product & design has been at the ready for suitable parts and suppliers who could deliver them, or time and resources to tool custom parts. Many have seen this custom project I did for Keith Yates which is a direct derivative of the Terraform cabinets using more appropriate parts. If US suppliers weren't so flaky and could make the customizations I wanted, a related product might be available now. It is possible if not likely it will be at some point in the future.
Archaea and jbrown15 like this.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #367 of 375 Old 08-19-2014, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
@popalock ,

yeah i'll play around!

I've been told by @dominguez1 and @gpmbc that the caps need to be nearfield in their 15hz tune and the sealed all up front.

But I plan to play! Yes there are eight cabs and eight drivers. Not quite enough to make a symbol of manhood like you did with your 16, but eight is sufficient output for me.
Nice! The caps in the 15hz nearfield will be killer. How far away will the be from the LP? I know you've got a new theater, how big is it? Have you fired up the caps already? Do you have an idea how your room affects your LFE FR yet?
post #368 of 375 Old 08-24-2014, 06:47 PM
d_c
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 65
What's the word, Man, are these ready to go or what?!!
post #369 of 375 Old 08-24-2014, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 611
They are up and running.

After spending several hours with them tonight I'm not really quite sure about them yet. They sound 'thumpy' to me. My FR is flat as a pancake between about 15hz and 120hz.

one cut of 7dB at 45hz
one cut of 5dB at 29hz
one 3dB boost house curve
one 3dB dynamic house curve

Flat as a ruler - not sure I'm liking the sound though. GOBs of headroom, but then I didn't lack headroom on the caps. I need to spend more time playing with EQ and crossover points.

popalock likes this.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #370 of 375 Old 08-24-2014, 09:15 PM
d_c
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Looks awesome Archaea. I would imagine that it will take some time getting them dialed in to your liking.
post #371 of 375 Old 08-24-2014, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
They are up and running.

After spending several hours with them tonight I'm not really quite sure about them yet. They sound 'thumpy' to me. My FR is flat as a pancake between about 15hz and 120hz.

one cut of 7dB at 45hz
one cut of 5dB at 29hz
one 3dB boost house curve
one 3dB dynamic house curve

Flat as a ruler - not sure I'm liking the sound though. GOBs of headroom, but then I didn't lack headroom on the caps. I need to spend more time playing with EQ and crossover points.

Try playing with them around the room. We moved Coach's DO SI18s to the sides of the room from the front and the bass sounded much better. If you have kids, you could even make shapes or letters around the rooms with a few boxes. The letter i on one side, an s on the other. Could be fun. Be creative!
post #372 of 375 Old 08-24-2014, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Looking great! They probably are the best looking DIY subs out there....or maybe I am just a fan of inverted/no dustcap subs in general?

Try to beast them up in quad stacks on each side of your screen before you start to scatter them accross the room.

I'm surprised you didn't include measurements with your inital impressions. You feeling ok man?
LTD02 likes this.

post #373 of 375 Old 08-25-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Jonathan I was thinking about your idea to turn down the sub trim until everything is flat and then use the dynamic eq function for bass. I think that's a great idea, basically that's how I do it with the 215's. The only issue is you have 2 separate inukes both with 2 channels so you have to make all adjustments 4 times while I just do it once. Still, once you get it dialed in how you like in on most content you could leave it alone for the most part. I don't think you constantly adjust the bass like I do once you get it where you like it.
Archaea likes this.
post #374 of 375 Old 08-25-2014, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 655
I agree with PL. Stack em, or at least attempt to group them somehow that each driver face is equidistant from your seating position.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #375 of 375 Old 08-25-2014, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 611
I have some updates in this thread.
Archaea's multi-purpose Home Theater room