Dedicated Theater DIY Speakers - New IB Q's - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-11-2013, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm building a dedicated theater room by myself. I've been reading a lot in this forum. Well actually all the AVS forums. I was hoping for you guys to recommend a tried and true DIY Speaker Setup for my room. I've read a lot but this forum is so deep in subject matter I can't put it together and feel informed. Especially combining it with all the other theater tasks. So I hoped you guys can help me out.

5.2 to start. Maybe 7.2 right of the bat.
Room is a 15 'x 20' with 8 foot ceiling.
AT Screen. With 30" behind it. (this can change if needed)
Looking at getting Denon X4000 for the receiver.

It was suggested I could do a DIYsoundgroup Fusion setup. 12" x3 for LCR, with 8" surrounds.

Would this be tried an true? I've never had any surround sound so there will be a lot of wow factor for me. I have tons of stuff to make the speakers so that's not an issue at all.

Subs on the other hand I'm not sure here at all. I've read I could do a couple of F20s. I saw a post on the lilwreckers (I must admit those are sweet). Or infinite baffle subs. Not sure what direction to take here, but I know this is most important to get right.

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-11-2013, 04:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 1122
it depends on how crazy of a volume level you want to run.

probably the most tried and true speaker is the Parham 4pi with 2226 woofer.

http://www.pispeakers.com/contents.html

but lots of options.

java's build with the 2512 might be a good one to look into as well:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1417294/seos12-2512-build

Listen. It's All Good.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-11-2013, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

I don't listen to my current movies real loud but it could be cause they are just large pc speakers.
post #4 of 9 Old 09-11-2013, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
One thing is for sure, you are starting on the right track!! Any of the SEOS designs on DIY soundgroup or the Pi designs will put you well ahead of what you could comparably get with commercial offerings. You will have a theater capable of incredible dynamics. For subs, you could go with one of the Dayton or Stereo Integrity flat packs from DIY soundgroup. Really, you can't go wrong with any of these options. Good luck!
post #5 of 9 Old 09-11-2013, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I like dome and ribbon tweeters (in fact I really like the sound of ribbons), but it's hard to pass up the value of a SEOS design. You can build them for ~$6-700/pr, where-as it'd cost ~$11-1200/pair for some full size Statements, or about that same price for a pair of Dynamic 4T's.

For subs, big 'ol F20's behind that screen would rock, but if you want to go a little deeper, you could build large ported enclosures tuned to ~15hz.

YID DIY
post #6 of 9 Old 09-11-2013, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber View Post

I like dome and ribbon tweeters (in fact I really like the sound of ribbons), but it's hard to pass up the value of a SEOS design. You can build them for ~$6-700/pr, where-as it'd cost ~$11-1200/pair for some full size Statements, or about that same price for a pair of Dynamic 4T's.

For subs, big 'ol F20's behind that screen would rock, but if you want to go a little deeper, you could build large ported enclosures tuned to ~15hz.

I'm rocking Seos Cheap Thrills and a pair of Lil Wreckers..... They are amazing. I have quiet a few ribbon/dome speakers, but if you want to get LOUD and remain detailed, it's hard to match these waveguides.

The lil wreckers have my room over 130dbs all the way down to 15hz with a 48db LR HPF at 13hz.... This is with the SI HT15 woofer in both. If you want to dig deep and have the room, you can do it with these horns.

Lots of acronyms in that paragraph.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-14-2013, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Bump! Looks like you can't get the cheap thrills anymore. Seemed like a great price on those.

Any thoughts on fusions 12's for LCR? 8's for surrounds. Do I need 15's in the LCR? Is 8" surrounds good enough?

I'm about dead set on dual Lil Wreckers for subs. Do I need to have something very solid to set these on? I need to raise these off the floor 12" but I won't have a sand filled stage because I'm on a second floor.

Also any ideas for DIY stereo speakers for Zone 2/Zone 3 that don't break the bank? I need music in bedroom/living room.

Thanks for the help!
post #8 of 9 Old 09-16-2013, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 302
you dont need the 15s in the LCRs the 12s will do fine, I have them and quote a few others do as well. 8s or 10s for surrounds will also be fine, personally i have the 10s

for cheap speakers for other rooms look at the the overnight sensations, or hitmakers
post #9 of 9 Old 09-25-2013, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone ever go with an IB to save space in the false wall. I started thinking about it. It would save me SO much space if I went IB. If I go with subs behind the screen I'm looking at 36" behind the false wall due to a window I have to cover, and the framing of the screen eats up 3-4 inches. So to fit a 30"ish lil wrecker I'm probably going to have to go to 36". I thought if I went with an IB I could gain at least a foot or more back to the room. I would just need to fit in the LCR (Tempest most likely). Also I'm on a second floor. I can't do a full sand filled stage. An IB setup would make this less of a problem.

I'm trying to learn as much as I can about IB's but its difficult. I've never owned a true sub to even compare what I'm reading. I know placement is everything, but this puts me at a disadvantage since I don't own a sub to even figure out the placement.

I'm not saying I'm giving up on the Lil Wreckers but I want to explore my options. Also placement of the Lil wreckers are limited. Basicly the only option is behind the screen with the ports on each side of the screen (Subs on its sides). There is no moving them around to find the sweet spot.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page