Another SEOS Tempest build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 09-15-2013, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I recently purchased three Tempest Kits along with three 2 cu ft. flat packs and assembled crossovers from Erich. The crossovers were built by Matt Grant for an insanely low price and, on top of that, they look real purty. Thanks Matt!!!!.

All Kits/Flat Packs were shipped to a Friend in Buffalo (I live in Ontario, Canada), as it was much more economical than having things shipped directly to Canada, even when you factor in the time/expense in making the cross-border trip to pick them up.

As noted quite frequently in the various AV forums, Erich’s packaging skills are legendary and my shipment proves that once again. Thank you Erich!!!!!.

It took me about a full week to glue the boxes together as I only had 6 clamps and could only do one part of one box at a time. I also waited a full 24 hours before I proceeded to the next step just to be sure everything was fully dried. After that, installing the parts, stuffing, applying wood fill in the seams, sanding and painting (duratex) went really fast.

It must be mentioned that Erich’s flat packs are incredibly precise. The pieces fit perfectly and, considering the price, it’s sure to entice those who are on the fence about going DIY. Truth be told, I was very apprehensive about trying this whole DIY thing, but with the availability of Flat Packs and assembled crossovers it became a no-brainer. Of course, this might detract from the personal satisfaction of cutting your own panels and assembling the crossovers. However, I am not as gifted as some on the folks on the Forums with woodworking, nor do I own the tools to make my own precision cuts. I think I can follow the schematics and do my own crossover, but I doubt they will ever look as good as Matt’s creations.

Looking at the pictures in the various SEOS builds, the sheer size and weight are not clearly indicative of their real-life appearance. They are very imposing and very heavy. Perspective builders might want to keep that in mind and generally you will want to minimize the number of times you move/reposition them.

Then came the big problem. After finishing all three Tempests, it was time to remove my (AT) screen and put them in their permanent places. Being so much larger (in every direction) than my current speakers, the waveguides were about a foot above ear level from the seated position. So now I have to adjust my false wall, which entails a lot of work, to ensure the proper height of the waveguides. I really don’t look forward to that.

Of course, despite the disappointment noted above, I just had to do a quick audition. I turned of all (Anthem ARC) room correction settings and ran them full range in a stereo pair. The first thing that jumps out at you is the great scale that these speakers are capable of (at least in comparison to my Acoustic Energies and all other speakers I have owned in the past for that matter). Dynamics are incredible and the overall resolution in the midrange is so lifelike that I wanted to keep listening to familiar music just to see what I have been missing. What was intended to be a short listening session turned into a 3 ½ hour marathon.

The bottom end of these Tempests is so full and tight that in a smaller room you may be able to get away without using a subwoofer. The highs, though crystal clear, did appear to be a bit harsh on some songs, but I am fairly certain that the source material on those occasions is to blame. On better, high quality sources, the highs were smooth and non-fatiguing. I can’t wait to get my false wall adjusted, run Anthem ARC, and introduce the Tempests to a few Blu-rays with some fine lossless soundtracks.

I had originally wanted to go with the Sentinels but Erich didn’t have the Flat packs available. Not sure if I am missing anything with the Tempests but, damn, they sure sound spectacular.

Regards,
Atabea

PS. Although my warden gives me a hall pass when it comes to my dedicated room (basement), she did comment on the unusually large dimensions of the Tempests. However, while I was testing the speakers with some familiar songs she came downstairs and commented that it sounded like a live band was playing. Now she says I can build anything I want regardless of size. I am planning on quad SI 18s subwoofers in four of Erichs sealed flat packs, as well as two more SEOS kits for surrounds. This DIY thing is addictive.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-15-2013, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Hey fellow Canuck! biggrin.gif
Excellent progress, looks like a nice setup. Would love to stop by for a listen sometime.
Where abouts in Ontario are you located?

I know all about the horrors of shipping to Canada...
At the time, I was building 3x 4Pi's, this is when DIYsoundgroup was just coming out. There was not any completed plans.
I ordered 3x D-360's from Erich, and 3x JBL 2226's from Ebay... total cost, less then $200 each woofer, and less then $100 dollar each compression driver.
My friends mom was nice enough to go over the border and pick everything up for me. No duties and barely any shipping.... she saved me at least 400 bucks going this route.
Anyways, sorry for off topic!

Cheers.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-15-2013, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 876
Was going to try these but now with tuxedo's 3 way I am waiting to see how they are. Which songs did you find the highs a little harsh ? Rc will probably tame that.
post #4 of 13 Old 09-15-2013, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Try your Tempests upside down (perhaps with something underneath to raise them a smidge if needed) before you rip apart your false wall, I suspect there would be no discernible difference having the woofers above.
post #5 of 13 Old 09-16-2013, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsnasty View Post

Hey fellow Canuck! biggrin.gif
Excellent progress, looks like a nice setup. Would love to stop by for a listen sometime.
Where abouts in Ontario are you located?

I know all about the horrors of shipping to Canada...
At the time, I was building 3x 4Pi's, this is when DIYsoundgroup was just coming out. There was not any completed plans.
I ordered 3x D-360's from Erich, and 3x JBL 2226's from Ebay... total cost, less then $200 each woofer, and less then $100 dollar each compression driver.
My friends mom was nice enough to go over the border and pick everything up for me. No duties and barely any shipping.... she saved me at least 400 bucks going this route.
Anyways, sorry for off topic!

Cheers.

Hey Thatsnasty, I am in Whitby so anytime you are in the area let me know. I share your frustration with shipping to Canada and the dreaded HST etc. It's fortunate that I have a US shipping address that's not too far from the border. Sounds like you got a sweet deal with your friend's mom picking up your stuff and saving you some dough.

Regards.
post #6 of 13 Old 09-16-2013, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antisuck View Post

Try your Tempests upside down (perhaps with something underneath to raise them a smidge if needed) before you rip apart your false wall, I suspect there would be no discernible difference having the woofers above.

Thanks Anti, I will give a shot later.
post #7 of 13 Old 09-16-2013, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

Was going to try these but now with tuxedo's 3 way I am waiting to see how they are. Which songs did you find the highs a little harsh ? Rc will probably tame that.

Yeh, Tux's 3 way looks really interesting. One of the songs was "funhouse" by pink and the other was "pop life" by prince. But these were not commercial CDs, they were downloads and played from a jump drive. I don't think the source was all that good as they also sounded kinda bright on my other speakers (Acoustic Energy), plus the Tempests are so much more revealing. Looks like I just have to keep feeding the Tempests with quality sources.

Regards
post #8 of 13 Old 10-02-2013, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I finally got around to Running Anthem ARC and watching a couple of movies/blu ray concerts. The results are incredible. They sound even better now. These Tempests are by far the best sounding speakers I have ever had in my room and the best I have ever heard period. Perhaps that's not saying a lot since I have never heard some of the esoteric designs out there or the frequently mentioned JTRs and Seatons, but I am astonished at the level of performance considering the price.

I am attaching my ARC charts for the usual experts to consider. Please let me know if anything appears out of the ordinary

Tempest ARC.jpg 155k .jpg file

Tempest ARC2.jpg 154k .jpg file

ARC also set the trims as follows:

FRONT LEFT = 0 db
CENTER = 0 db
FRONT RIGHT = -1 db
SURROUND RIGHT = 0 db
SURROUND LEFT = +1 db
SUB = 0 db

Thanks
atabea
post #9 of 13 Old 10-02-2013, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Glad you liked the way they sound, and they look really nice too. Everyone really seems to like that speaker.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-02-2013, 08:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 914
bravo!

"Dynamics are incredible and the overall resolution in the midrange is so lifelike that I wanted to keep listening to familiar music just to see what I have been missing. What was intended to be a short listening session turned into a 3 ½ hour marathon."

bravo!

"However, while I was testing the speakers with some familiar songs she came downstairs and commented that it sounded like a live band was playing. Now she says I can build anything I want regardless of size."

bravo for the win!

that comment about the "live band sound" is revealing because it shows just how much "regular" speakers even at reasonable levels compress the heck out the music. it's not so much that these high sensitivity speakers are doing anything to "enhance the dynamics", they are just revealing what was on the recording in the first place.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #11 of 13 Old 10-02-2013, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Those things look so mean! Great job!
post #12 of 13 Old 10-03-2013, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

bravo!

that comment about the "live band sound" is revealing because it shows just how much "regular" speakers even at reasonable levels compress the heck out the music. it's not so much that these high sensitivity speakers are doing anything to "enhance the dynamics", they are just revealing what was on the recording in the first place.

LTD, you are so right about the compression present in "regular" speakers. And that is the first thing I noticed going from my previous speakers to the Tempest; Soundstage, Dynamics and Clarity were now present in such a large scale that I can't believe I was ever satisfied with my (previous) speakers. I don't think I can ever go back to regular speakers now.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-03-2013, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filtor1 View Post

Those things look so mean! Great job!

Thanks Filtor.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List