New World Record - 136.6 dB! (Now at 137.6 dB) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 82 Old 09-16-2013, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 220
The Seattle Seahawks fans "set a Guinness World Records mark for "loudest crowd roar at a sports stadium"" with 136.6 dB. How's that for DIY? biggrin.gif
Quote:
The Seattle Seahawks' "12th Man" has long been known for its ability to impact its beloved team's game in a positive way.

And now those noisy fans are receiving accolades of their own.

According to the fan group Volume 12, the crowd at CenturyLink Field on Sunday night for the Seahawks' game against San Francisco set a Guinness World Records mark for "loudest crowd roar at a sports stadium" when it hit 131.9 decibels after a sack of 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick during the first quarter.

The previous record of 131.76 decibels was set during a soccer match between Galatasaray SC and Fenerbahce at Turkey's Ali Sami Yen Sport Complex Turk Telekom Arena back in 2011.

But the infamous 12th Man was just getting warmed up. During another defensive stand by the Seahawks in the third quarter, the crowd broke its own record by reaching 136.6 decibels, according to Bill Stewart, a sound engineer and partner at SSA Acoustics in Seattle who was brought in by Volume 12 to do the measuring.

Phil Robertson, the Guinness judge brought in to document the occasion, said the noise exceeded that of the soccer crowds he's more used to. "It's a far louder, tribal kind of passion," he said. "There's passionate people in soccer, but here you see veins bulging out of necks."

Link

So far there are no reports of the excess volume causing any medical issues except strained vocal chords. wink.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 Old 09-16-2013, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

How loud was each person? ESPN shows the attendance to be 68,338. Per the Equal loud incoherent sound sources calculator, 68,338 sources combine for an increase of 48.35 dB. This means each person in the stadium needed to yell at 88.25 dB if the mic was close!

I wonder where the microphone was placed and what the average distance was from the fans? Maybe they were also playing some music over the speaker system.
post #3 of 82 Old 09-16-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 815
I watched the game... those fans are awesome !

I wish the NE fans could get that into it. NE fans are lame by comparison. Makes me admire and root for Seattle. I admire them. (plus they don't play my team biggrin.gif)

Nice asswhooping they gave the 49ers too.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #4 of 82 Old 09-16-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

What is craziest is it was a night game and raining- with a 1 hour delay. The fans kept the passion when a lot of others would have headed home, or to stay dry.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #5 of 82 Old 09-16-2013, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
+136.6db ..after a sack of the 49er QB! It reached -30db in my house at the same moment. :~{ >
peterfram likes this.
post #6 of 82 Old 09-16-2013, 01:22 PM

Liked: 15
I watched an Nfl special a few weeks back...i think they have over 100 total mic's..roughly 9 are strategically placed throughout the stadium, then they have placed domes and dudes than actually follow the sidelines up and down for the realism...plus who else knows what lol

Def Tech BP 2000's

Def Tech BPVX Surrounds

Polk Monitor 70's Wired Together Center Channel

Dual Elemental Design A5-350 Subs

Epson 2030 Projector

Screen Goo Self 120 Inch Screen

Sony Blu Ray

Carver Sunfire TGIII Receiver

post #7 of 82 Old 09-16-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 538
How do they measure this? If the mic is say, with the players as the "12th man" then that's crazy. If it's up in the stands with a dozen roudys yelling as loud as they can into the mic from 1 inch away, well, me and some friends could possibly pull that off. And evey stadium is different also I would think.
post #8 of 82 Old 09-16-2013, 01:33 PM

Liked: 10
Mics were at the south end zone, far enough away to avoid having the measurement skewed by an individual fan or group of fans. Action on the field at the time was at the north end.

http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawks/2021833455_seahawksscene16xml.html
post #9 of 82 Old 09-16-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 480
That's hard to believe. I'm not saying the stadium isn't crazy loud, it obviously is. However I would think most people would be running for the exits if the db level was truly 136 at their ears. I've experienced that loud in bass frequencies but I don't think I have in mids and highs which is what this would be. No thanks, that would be beyond physically painful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 82 Old 09-16-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Ha, looks like the Cheifs fans are going to try to beat the record next month. Aarowhead is extremely loud and probably was the loudest stadium before Seattle built a new one but there is no way we are touching 136. It's all about how the stadiums are built obviously... which would make me think that Vikings/Saints/Falcons fans could get louder than Seattle???

post #11 of 82 Old 09-16-2013, 02:40 PM

Liked: 17
Too loud Carp??? Turn in your Metallica card! tongue.gif

Yep...Arrowhead is very loud...yesterday would've been a good day to test for sure.

post #12 of 82 Old 09-16-2013, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotbunny View Post

Too loud Carp??? Turn in your Metallica card! tongue.gif

Yep...Arrowhead is very loud...yesterday would've been a good day to test for sure.

Hahah, FOR SHAME!!!!!! eek.gifredface.gif

post #13 of 82 Old 09-16-2013, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

That article says they went from 131 db's at one point in the game to 136 db's at another point. Haha, that would be almost doubling the amount of fans and co-locating them right? biggrin.gif

post #14 of 82 Old 09-16-2013, 03:01 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Ha, looks like the Cheifs fans are going to try to beat the record next month. Aarowhead is extremely loud and probably was the loudest stadium before Seattle built a new one but there is no way we are touching 136. It's all about how the stadiums are built obviously... which would make me think that Vikings/Saints/Falcons fans could get louder than Seattle???

Century Link field was purposely built to funnel the noise down to the field and the north end zone is just one big metal bleacher too. Also Arrowhead has a capacity of 76K+ compared to 67K for the Clink. Not to mention the Vikings, Saints and Falcons all play in a dome, so not really comparable.
post #15 of 82 Old 09-16-2013, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That article says they went from 131 db's at one point in the game to 136 db's at another point. Haha, that would be almost doubling the amount of fans and co-locating them right? biggrin.gif
The world's loudest shout has been measured at 121.7 dB. Everyone just needed to shout louder than they were when 131 dB was recorded. eek.gif
post #16 of 82 Old 09-16-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec4 View Post

Not to mention the Vikings, Saints and Falcons all play in a dome, so not really comparable.

That was my point, that they play in domes.

post #17 of 82 Old 09-16-2013, 04:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm impressed it outdoors in the rain

-

post #18 of 82 Old 09-16-2013, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 353
I thought 130db was the threshold of pain @ 1khz?
Wouldn't that leave everyone deaf or with severe hearing damage?

I just don't believe this number.

Can someone take their SPL meter to a game and confirm this? (Please take C and A weighted numbers.)
My guess is that it is not above 120db-A and that's being generous IMO, "probably" 105db-A.

I have a hard time breaking 120db-C at the LP with two seos's, 2 15's and 10 18's and 35,000w in a 3000cube room. (Maybe my meter is faulty? confused.gif)

"If Bad Sound Were Fatal, Audio Would Be the Leading Cause of Death."

post #19 of 82 Old 09-16-2013, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So is this record just for stadiums or does it include all sports venues i.e. domes as well? It just seems like a dome could get louder than an open roof stadium. I live in wa and was telling seahawks fans today that were talking about the record that they pipe in noise. I from mn and am a viking fan, which sucks to be btw, but I hope they are piping in noise and get caught.
post #20 of 82 Old 09-16-2013, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post

Can someone take their SPL meter to a game and confirm this? (Please take C and A weighted numbers.)
My guess is that it is not above 120db-A and that's being generous IMO, "probably" 105db-A.

I have a hard time breaking 120db-C at the LP with two seos's, 2 15's and 10 18's and 35,000w in a 3000cube room. (Maybe my meter is faulty? confused.gif)

Believe it. I've been to a game at Century Link. That stadium is loud. As far as football, I've been to Arrowhead. I've been to Lambeau, and I've been to Soldier Field. They're loud, and games were an experience. None come close to Century Link.

Ear protection is not optional, I had foamies in, my ears still rang for a good while afterwards, and the game I was at was tame in comparison to last night. Two coworkers and several of my friends were there last night. I only watched it on TV...

Seahawk fans are something else.

The Seahawks fans quite literally shook the earth during a playoff game in 2011.

No - not a huge earthquake, but it did register on a local seismometer.

Hmmm, with the gear you have, I'm a bit surprised that 120s aren't in reach, regardless of the weighting. Before I relocated myself and dismantled my system, I could break 120 dBC at the LP with my bottom-shelf gear, and there's a bit left in the tank at that point. I'd definitely check your meter.

Hornresp Tutorials (By amateurs, for amateurs!)

post #21 of 82 Old 09-16-2013, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Your ears rang even with ear plugs in during the game? Yikes!!

post #22 of 82 Old 09-16-2013, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

Your ears rang even with ear plugs in during the game? Yikes!!

Yup, for most of the next day...

Hornresp Tutorials (By amateurs, for amateurs!)

post #23 of 82 Old 09-16-2013, 05:46 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post

I was at this game. Basically everyone was handed foam ear plugs to protect their ears. After the first 49er possession I knew I'd have to keep them in every defensive play for the Seahawks because my ears did hurt. It was like someone was a couple inches from my ear screaming right into it. Even with the foam ear plugs in it was loud. I believe the record probably was set when Richard Sherman intercepted Kaepernick. Afterwards the injury wasn't my ears but my throat from screaming so much during the game. Go 12th Man!

Charley
post #24 of 82 Old 09-16-2013, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Lee View Post

I was at this game. Basically everyone was handed foam ear plugs to protect their ears. After the first 49er possession I knew I'd have to keep them in every defensive play for the Seahawks because my ears did hurt. It was like someone was a couple inches from my ear screaming right into it. Even with the foam ear plugs in it was loud. I believe the record probably was set when Richard Sherman intercepted Kaepernick. Afterwards the injury wasn't my ears but my throat from screaming so much during the game. Go 12th Man!

Charley

You guys should absolutely be proud of your Seahawks, they have come a long way and should be a big favorite to win it all. I could see the superbowl matchup be Seattle vs Denver.

Meanwhile in KC we are just trying to not be the laughing stock of the league again this year - at least we are off to a good start.

It's still weird to me that you guys aren't in our division anymore....

post #25 of 82 Old 09-16-2013, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Quote:

You guys should absolutely be proud of your Seahawks, they have come a long way and should be a big favorite to win it all. I could see the superbowl matchup be Seattle vs Denver.

Meanwhile in KC we are just trying to not be the laughing stock of the league again this year - at least we are off to a good start.

It's still weird to me that you guys aren't in our division anymore....

The best thing that could of happened to your Chiefs was hiring Andy Reid!
post #26 of 82 Old 09-16-2013, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

The best thing that could of happened to your Chiefs was hiring Andy Reid!

Agreed - I seriously am worried about his health though.

post #27 of 82 Old 09-16-2013, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23

Whatever caused it wasn't immediately clear. But early Sunday night, some three hours after the Chiefs had dispatched the Dallas Cowboys, 17-16, in their home opener, one of the large glass windows in front of the press box at Arrowhead Stadium suddenly shattered and began fragmenting.

Several reporters from both Kansas City and Dallas were still working in the box at the time — including this one. The pane of glass in question was at the end of the box closest to the elevators, not far from where the Chiefs' public-relations staff works during games.

As folks were working, there was almighty bang — almost like a shot, or the sound of something very heavy hitting the ground, and one of the Chiefs staffers screamed. That's when we noticed the glass.

After 15 minutes or so, this was the scene, complete with yellow caution tape:

So there you go, Chiefs fans. Seattle may have set a new single-day Guinness World Record for crowd noise at a sporting event on Sunday night ... but can Seahawks fans make FREAKING GLASS SHATTER?

http://www.foxsportskansascity.com/story/how-loud-were-chiefs-fans-sunday-against?blockID=940529

YID DIY
post #28 of 82 Old 09-16-2013, 06:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

He's a heart attack waiting to happen

-

post #29 of 82 Old 09-16-2013, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

He's a heart attack waiting to happen

I think that argument could be made for about 80% of the coaches in the NFL. I'm sure lots of them have sky high blood pressure!..lol
post #30 of 82 Old 09-17-2013, 05:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Tom coughlin is next on the list.

There is some coaches that are slobs (Andy Reid ) that are so unbalanced and dysfunctional in their personal lives they put 99% into being and NFL coach that there is nothing left for personal life, family, and even personal health. Didn't Andy Reid have a kid die and another go to jail and he's basically an absentee father ?

I give Rex Ryan credit he's a slob that's really improved. Looks like he lost a ton of weight. Rex looks great this year.

Tom coughlin is old and his face is always bright red... I'm assuming his heart will blow up ... Lol

Then there is the other guys. The ones that have been around football and athletes and gyms their whole life and maintain good health. The Jim and John the two Super Bowl brothers seem to take care of themselves. John is over 50 and doesn't look it at all. Pete Caroll is 62 and he's in good shape.

it's just like real life. Some do it and some don't. The extra stress of NFL just makes it harder. But then again they are around athletes and trainers and high end gyms all the time so perhaps it's easier ????

-

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page