Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Edit: So, ok, they're not so new,,,but hey cool.gif

SBP10 8/4 ohm
SBP12 8/4 ohm
SBP15 8/4 ohm

http://www.aespeakers.com/drivers.php?driver_id=45

Designed for sealed enclosures. I just simmed the sealed SBP12 with a ported TD15H simulation I've been working on. Same low F3, much more low end extension. No pricing yet...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-18-2013, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 218
They look like what Mark Seaton uses in the Cat12's.

Edit: After modeling them I don't think they are quite the same. These are geared more towards getting good low end extension from a sealed box. I wonder how high they can play?
post #3 of 13 Old 09-18-2013, 08:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 1121
^^ yeah, makes one wonder...

pricing?

Listen. It's All Good.
post #4 of 13 Old 09-18-2013, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
No pricing posted yet. John just updated the site...saw the post on facebook (he's got some other cool stuff going on too...some new driver basket, and some wicked looking JBL K2 style enclosures designed for the TD12M).

They sure do look like the drivers in the Cats tho. Man, I just ran the SBP10 in 2ft^3. ~37Hz F3. I'm thinking MTM with a SEOS12...4ft^3. Could make for a pretty impressive full range pair.
post #5 of 13 Old 09-18-2013, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Anyone will building Catalyst clone biggrin.gif
post #6 of 13 Old 09-18-2013, 09:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 1121
"No pricing posted yet."

roger.

"John just updated the site...saw the post on facebook (he's got some other cool stuff going on too...some new driver basket, and some wicked looking JBL K2 style enclosures designed for the TD12M)."

"single or old school 9500 mtm?"

"They sure do look like the drivers in the Cats tho."

yeah. they seem right and even jibe with mark's comments that many folks would be surprised what he is doing in there...

"Man, I just ran the SBP10 in 2ft^3. ~37Hz F3. I'm thinking MTM with a SEOS12...4ft^3. Could make for a pretty impressive full range pair."

gotta see the measurements....t/s are only good for the bottom end. ;-)

"Anyone will building Catalyst clone"

no need to clone. plenty of great possibilities out there...

Listen. It's All Good.
post #7 of 13 Old 09-18-2013, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Single with a bass cab beneath it. Just a drawing, but It's the baffle that reminds me of the K2

From FB:

Quote:
When the question was posed as to which kits people would be most interested in, much of that interest was directed at the 2way systems using the SEOS waveguides. Others were interested in a large floor standing tower. Others were interested in subwoofer kits. It was decided the best thing would be to pull these options together.

Most of the 2way kits will require a subwoofer to supplement on the low end anyway. The decision was made to integrate the look of the SEOS kits and subwoofer kits. This gives a good upgrade path allowing for either the 2way kit or subwoofer kit to be purchased individually and add the other at a later date.

Here is a sneak peak at one of the kits that will be offered. The 2way with the SEOS12 and the TD12M are shown sitting on top of the TH12.3 subwoofer.

Yeah, I'd love to get my hands on a pair of 10's or 12's and do some polars, fr response, impedance sweep, etc.

Lots of possibilities with this one for sure...maybe coupled with a 8CX400F coaxial.

-Nate
post #8 of 13 Old 09-19-2013, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Son of a.....hahaha, just kidding. Glad to see John expanding the line to consumers a bit.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-19-2013, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 170
I need to run numbers when I get into work to see how these compare to the Ultimax line which also seem to be designed for sealed.
post #10 of 13 Old 09-19-2013, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg90 View Post

They look like what Mark Seaton uses in the Cat12's.

Edit: After modeling them I don't think they are quite the same. These are geared more towards getting good low end extension from a sealed box. I wonder how high they can play?

Correct. These are cosmetically similar but different parameters. Coil, gap and spider choices make for significant variations on this sort of driver as is seen between the H, X & S versions of the Lambda drivers. FYI, John has been selling the SBP-15 for a very long time. In fact, we used 4 of them in this custom studio project for Nick Barnett (former Green Bay Linebacker) back in 2007.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #11 of 13 Old 09-19-2013, 12:00 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 906
Yeah these aren't new. I guess they are just being officially added to their store. They have had them in discussion on their forum for years.

These look to me (from my models) sort of a super version of the 'S' models of the TD series. These like large enclosures and are not output monsters. They do have the signature super low Le and extended upper bass/mids that we expect from AE.

These won't make waves but they are useful for that certain project.

The 15" does look like a decent competitor to the Ultimax 15 but I believe the U15 has more total output capability and is cheaper.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #12 of 13 Old 09-19-2013, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Hi Guys. The reality is that I have many drivers that have been sold for years and just lacked time to get them on the website. The SBP series are just one of those examples. They have been made since back in 2001 by Lambda and we have been making them since 2005 or so. The motor design gives flexibility to use coils with either flat copper, flat aluminum, or round copper wire to get different parameters. Lambda had many different drivers using different combinations of parts which you can see on the archive site. All of them are drivers we can still make today.

http://web.archive.org/web/20030602202206/http://www.lambdacoustics.com/products.html

Pricing on the SBP drivers can be found here from the May updated pricing:
http://www.aespeakers.com/news.php?start=0&news_id=35

The SBP series are basically mass loaded TDS woofers with dustcaps instead of phase plugs. They use the same coils and cones but have added mass to raise the Q and push the Fs a little lower. They have a more limited bandwidth than the TD woofers due to the dustcaps. They are recommended for a maximum Xover frequency of 500hz. Typically when going over 250Hz I would suggest a TDS vs an SBP woofer.

The SBP15's have been used in many recording studios to provide the bottom octaves. We had a designer in the UK using them for the low end in many of their studio installations. Several hi end speaker systems like the Evolution Acoustics MM3 and MM7 use a slightly modified SBP15. As mentioned, the SBP12 does bear some resemblance to the Seaton drivers. While they do share some common components there have been other modifications done to optimize the Seaton drivers specifically for the Catalyst application as Mark mentioned.

Recently they have been gaining more exposure as infinite baffle woofers in automotive applications. Larry Woolacott won the IASCA Ultimate World Championship in 2012. He also won the Triple Crown for SQ + RTA + SPL and actually had the highest score in history at the time. http://www.aespeakers.com/news.php?start=5&news_id=28
Anthony_Gomez likes this.

John E. Janowitz
Acoustic Elegance, LLC
"Learn from the mistakes of others... you can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself"
post #13 of 13 Old 09-19-2013, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Thanks for the info John smile.gif As I sit and think of my 18" PRs made by you years ago that I've been using with my Tumult, I recall the HE15 beast!
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page