Cerwin Vega CV5000 or Crown XLS5000 for four SI18's - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 31 Old 06-23-2014, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I think i said this a few times already, but seeing as some may use this info to make a buying decision and run into this thread here goes.

The CV 5000 is designed and manufactured by a new company formed in 2002 called HPA electronics. This company makes a whole line of HPA amplifiers of which the HPA 5000 is the top amp. This same amplifier is bought buy other name brands who wish to supply a top quality amplifier at a reasonable price.

The B52 US 6000 as well as the rest of the series are HPA amplifiers. So are the CV 5000 and the rest of that series. The American audio V 6000 and the rest of the series again, all the same amplifier. The Samson series are HPA amplifiers, and I have posted a few other brands in the past that are also HPA amplifiers in a different case and name.

I personally own 4 CV 5000 , 5 CV 2800 and 4 Samson SX 3200. I consider them all HPA electronics brand.
If you are a test freak, you can use a voltage multimeter to get an idea of the output by measuring the voltage at the binding posts. IN any even at 799.00 everyday price the Cerwin vega version is the by far the cheapest on the planet, and a very solid amplifier. The transformer in the CV 5000 is 2500 VA. larger than the transformer in the crest Ca 18. which is suppose to be overbuilt. So with 2500 VA you know you will not be short on producing the 1000 watt rms posted after efficiency losses.

I have been very pleased with all my HPA amplifiers, and have found them to have adequate transformers, and high reliability. The CV 2800 and Samson SX 3200 have 94 volt rails!. I imagine the CV 5000 has much higher than that. Some of these amps I have been running on sub duty for over 7 years now. I have not tried to measure voltage yet however I did measure DC offset which was non existent on the CV 2800 3200 in stereo, and a modest 25mv on bridged mode, so they have very little DC offset, even after 7 years LOL.

Anyway I would go with the CV 5000 over the Crown as the crown has two smaller toroidals and chances are based on the amplifiers much lighter weight, that they will be lucky to be 1000 va each.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SUC51656.jpg (312.5 KB, 10 views)
Scott Simonian and LTD02 like this.

A Good amplifier requires a adequate power supply, It does not matter what the amplifier is capable of if the power supply will not provide the power required. Most amplifiers have under rated power supplies. It is up to you to make sure you get the ones that are
least under rated if at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
Cerwin Vega Cv 5000 High Performance Power Amplifier , Crown Xls 5000d Power Amplifier
Gear in this thread - 5000d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page