noob needs help.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-22-2013, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello newbie here was wondering if you could help me...i have a 98 expedition and 2 l715's i wanna build a ported box for them with the speakers facing up and the ports facing up....i dont want stuff getting sucked into the port....is it better 2 build 2 boxes or just 1 because i do not want them to share the same air space as far as dimensions...24-26 inches deep 40-48 in wide and 18 to 23 inches high. i would like to have the maximum airspce closest to 12 cu ft if possible. i would like to tune it to 35hz and will brace it with 2x4's unless you reccomend wooden dowels or the corner braces.if there is anything eles you need pleas let me know. any help is greatly appreciated as i am trying to avoid buyin the commercial box of of ebay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-22-2013, 05:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
you can use this to calculate the port length: http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

having both drivers share airspace is no problem. works just like two independent subs.

for two driver, use twice the enclosure volume, and twice the port area.

really not much to it if you know that your subs will perform in a cab of that size tuned to 35hz. my guess is that somewhere around 4 cubic feet per driver is what you want to shoot for, but to know you have to check the manual or model it up in winisd or a comparable program.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-22-2013, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thank you very much....ive used alot of calculators to do this....i just was getting hung up on the port......so pretty much i can build any box as long as its within specs and fits and build the port to tune it and it will work for sure....i just dont wanna waste the money on the wood and build a box that sounds crappy....the one app made me a cutout sheep but it doenst have any diagrams....they all have me with a port of about 14.5 inches long 3 inches high....my biggest problem is does the port have to be a certain way or can i say make a skinny and long port vs a short n wide one....whill they sound the same as long as they are tuned to the same frequency?
post #4 of 5 Old 09-22-2013, 07:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

"build any box as long as its within specs and fits and build the port to tune it and it will work for sure"

yeah.

if you post your final plan, one or two folks can confirm that you've got it planned properly.

"my biggest problem is does the port have to be a certain way or can i say make a skinny and long port vs a short n wide one....whill they sound the same as long as they are tuned to the same frequency?"

yeah. the port can be any shape more or less. the area and the length are the key components. it can be round, square, rectangle, slot, just don't make it super thin and you'll be good.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-22-2013, 07:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

"so pretty much i can build any box as long as its within specs and fits"

if you go too big, you can get a big peak on the tuning frequency. i was just using my intuition when i suggested about 4 cubic feet as a rough concept of volume per driver and even that might be a little large. there are something like 5 different versions of that driver, so i don't know exactly which one you are working with.

Listen. It's All Good.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page