AVS Forum banner

Celestion 15" to AE TD15M

2K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  Mfusick 
#1 ·
I recently did a cheap thrill build. Wondering if there is a crossover design out there that will work for swapping out the Celestion 15" for a AE TD15M-8, and replacing the the DNA-350 with the 360. Cabinet is sealed. Is it nuts to want to do this?

I pretty much drive by the AE facility on my way to and from my office, so it just seems like I should . . .

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H  /t/1491849/celestion-15-to-ae-td15m#post_23763990

What are you hoping to gain?

That is an excellent question. I am not dissatisfied with the Celestion at all. I think more than anything I would like to hear a speaker that cost roughly 6X as much; has to sound better, doesn't it? However, if the difference is only audible at reference levels then maybe not.

#6 ·
"I recently did a cheap thrill build. Wondering if there is a crossover design out there that will work for swapping out the Celestion 15" for a AE TD15M-8, and replacing the the DNA-350 with the 360. Cabinet is sealed. Is it nuts to want to do this?"

i'm pretty sure that there is a td15m/dna360 crossover floating around. the size of the cab and whether or not they are ported shouldn't matter as I don't believe baffle step correction is built in, but I don't remember where the plan is.

#8 ·
Broke out some Sonny Landreth including a duet with Joe Satriani today. The Celestion/SEOS combination is pretty sweet. After reading the original bwaslo design thread at DIYSoundgroup I am guessing I probably don't really need the upgrade to the TD15M; since I don't listen to anything much louder than about 75-80dB. Bwaslo's comments suggest that the benefits of the AE didn't become evident till much louder.

If I am not careful I am going to end up with a garage full of speakers and parts . . .

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie  /t/1491849/celestion-15-to-ae-td15m#post_23802808

Broke out some Sonny Landreth including a duet with Joe Satriani today. The Celestion/SEOS combination is pretty sweet. After reading the original bwaslo design thread at DIYSoundgroup I am guessing I probably don't really need the upgrade to the TD15M; since I don't listen to anything much louder than about 75-80dB. Bwaslo's comments suggest that the benefits of the AE didn't become evident till much louder.

If I am not careful I am going to end up with a garage full of speakers and parts . . .

It happens much easier than one would think.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajacat  /t/1491849/celestion-15-to-ae-td15m#post_23805474

When bwaslo compared the AE15M to the Celestion 15" was the incorrect polarity issue evident and taken into account at the time? If it wasn't then the SQ comparison should be repeated with the polarity problem corrected.

I don't know the answer to that. I will say I am still vacillating on whether or not to try the TD15M/DNA-360/SEOS-12 combo in my cheap thrill cabinets.

Matt G.; if your reading this I am looking forward to you posting the upgraded crossover parts for the TD15/SEOS-12/DNA-12 in the thread at DIYSoundgroup. After I see the parts list I will most likely make the switch. (Unless someone talks me down).

Thanks,

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie  /t/1491849/celestion-15-to-ae-td15m#post_23805660

I don't know the answer to that. I will say I am still vacillating on whether or not to try the TD15M/DNA-360/SEOS-12 combo in my cheap thrill cabinets.

Matt G.; if your reading this I am looking forward to you posting the upgraded crossover parts for the TD15/SEOS-12/DNA-12 in the thread at DIYSoundgroup. After I see the parts list I will most likely make the switch. (Unless someone talks me down).

Thanks,

I will pm you the parts list and schematic this evening. It's about a hundred bucks per unit.

#26 ·
Quote:Originally Posted by Willie 

Thanks,

I will pm you the parts list and schematic this evening. It's about a hundred bucks per unit.
If you're getting rid of your celestions I wouldn't mind getting one or two off of you. One of mine went the way of the buffalo and I need a replacement

#17 ·
Yep

Willie, I'll have two of these up and running very soon (hopefully in the next week). While I don't have any time in front of the cheap thrill, I have plenty in front of the Sentinel, Tempest and some of the smaller ones. I'll give you my best subjective comparos as soon as I get them done.

#18 ·
It's a fairly easy 4 ohm load, iirc it stays above 5 ohms above 80hz so most amps or avrs will have no trouble driving it. I'll run an impeadance sweep tonight to double check that figure. I am also going to try and get crossovers worked up for both the 8 ohm td15m and bms 4550 (16 ohm) designs based off the current design so there should be quite a few options to choose from.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H  /t/1491849/celestion-15-to-ae-td15m#post_23806230

The Celestion buy-out was a freak of nature woofer. Don't let it's low price worry you.

The voice of reason crying from the wilderness.

In other words, if you want to spend 1200 bucks, spend it on something that will give you more return on your investment. Geez, when you put it that way . . .

#22 ·
"Currently I am driving LCR with a Denon 4311, 4 ohms will be fine."

i'm not concerned about the guys who know what they are doing...i'm concerned about the guy who reads how awesome the speakers are, builds a set, cooks his avr and starts thread: td15m/seos kit killed my avr!?! help?!? :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.