Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-27-2013, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 173
I suppose it is best to explain the situation:

I'll be re-doing my entire home theater speaker setup soon. Zero music. All HT/TV. The room isn't big, on the order of 12x14. I have an Sherbourne SR-8100 that has some parametric bands to do some manual corrections like a bass boost at the low end or some room mode corrections. I also have a Crown K2 for power. The plan is to build two subwoofers using boxes similar to (or exactly) the 2cuft flat packs that Erich has to act as stands for L/R monitors and cross them over with the receiver around 80hz.

Is the Ultimax 12 sealed the best option out there for me? So far that is my conclusion. 12" ported doesn't seem practical in this size for any driver I've thought of. I don't see any other better 12" subs for sealed (and I dont want to pay super inflated TCSounds price and use an LT to change the response). I suppose a 10" with passive radiators is a contender, but not sure the cost increase with the passives is justifiable.

Your thoughts?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=295-512
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-27-2013, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 1162

Listen. It's All Good.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-27-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
If I went 12" sealed route I would get a pair of the Creative Sound SDX 12s. http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=SDX12%20Single
steve nn likes this.
post #4 of 10 Old 09-27-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

" I dont want to pay super inflated TCSounds price and use an LT to change the response). "

looks like you will need an LT transform with the um12 in the small sealed enclosure.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-27-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

"12" ported doesn't seem practical in this size for any driver I've thought of."

just out of curiosity, why not go ported?

2x12" drivers aren't really enough to do much for subharmonics, so why not nail the 20hz+ big?

by going with larger cabs 3.5 cubic feet net ea. you could pick up more than +6db-8db (which is akin to more than doubling drivers and more than doubling power).

same drivers, same power, all that changes is the enclosure:

ported need a high pass to keep excursion from blowing up below tune, but otherwise excursion for the drivers is about the same for the two enclosures...kind of remarkable isn't it?

Listen. It's All Good.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-27-2013, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I used to build (heck, sold) LTs so that is fine. I just am not keen on the massive TC sounds pricing with the LMS or Axis line.

The ultimax ported in a 2cuft box wouldn't be practical but I do agree that if I could manage larger, that ported would be good. My theater currently is a hodge podge of old equipment that is kind of an eye sore (space wise). Currently have a Tumult with dual 18" PRs that's rather large, and it would be nice if things were a bit smaller.

The SDX 12 in the pair pricing is worth considering. The Ultimax 12's were on sale yesterday for $155 shipped each and I imagine that'll happen again and that is a pretty good price/performance ratio.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-27-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

roger. just wanted to help make sure that you were aware of some of the tradeoffs. bigger isn't always more appropriate.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-27-2013, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

And I do appreciate your thoughts smile.gif Right now I am playing in 3D space to see if there is any way to accommodate larger boxes (or sonosubs) in the room while still maintaining some semblance of spousal approval :P
post #9 of 10 Old 09-27-2013, 11:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Gomez View Post

I suppose it is best to explain the situation:

I'll be re-doing my entire home theater speaker setup soon. Zero music. All HT/TV. The room isn't big, on the order of 12x14. I have an Sherbourne SR-8100 that has some parametric bands to do some manual corrections like a bass boost at the low end or some room mode corrections. I also have a Crown K2 for power. The plan is to build two subwoofers using boxes similar to (or exactly) the 2cuft flat packs that Erich has to act as stands for L/R monitors and cross them over with the receiver around 80hz.

Is the Ultimax 12 sealed the best option out there for me? So far that is my conclusion. 12" ported doesn't seem practical in this size for any driver I've thought of. I don't see any other better 12" subs for sealed (and I dont want to pay super inflated TCSounds price and use an LT to change the response). I suppose a 10" with passive radiators is a contender, but not sure the cost increase with the passives is justifiable.

Your thoughts?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=295-512

Have you looked at any SEX 12's for sealed? I'm running a 1.5" thick 2 cubes dual opposed SEX 12's (older version 1's, not v2's) on a bridged ep4000 (approx 2400w). They are very underrated. Especially the paper conservative power handling numbers.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/search?keyword=sex+12&query_id=470088&query_code=832378&SearchClickout%5Bquery_id%5D=470088&manufacturer_id=538

"I should really see what dB levels I'm pushing. Long as it can't foam my beer during a movie we are ok "
post #10 of 10 Old 09-27-2013, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
The SDX 12 in the pair pricing is worth considering.

If you do decide to go that route it’s a great driver with very nice SQ. If you could pull off dual in some sort of configuration that would be very nice. I lean the vented route route myself with port/slot or the PR option if you can swing it? None the same dual sealed would be nice with some sort of dsp but remember your used to vented and LTD showed you the difference. I really like your dual sono idea if you could swing it since the footprint is so small or the 3 cu ft PR option.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page