Bunker BPD 1 Power Drive 2 stereo in 4 stereo out driverack pa - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 10-06-2013, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.M2b

I decided to try one of these as the dbx driverack pa + output number 3 does a poor stereo subwoofer job. Outputs one and two seem to work fine.
I liked it right away, as all four outputs work with subwoofer crossover settings. Not a bad unit at all that is not getting a lot of attention.
Great unit for setting up multiple subwoofer outs in stereo at selectable crossover frequencies.

A Good amplifier requires a adequate power supply, It does not matter what the amplifier is capable of if the power supply will not provide the power required. Most amplifiers have under rated power supplies. It is up to you to make sure you get the ones that are
least under rated if at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-06-2013, 08:23 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Interesting, new to me.

"Proudly designed and manufactured in the NAFTA region, made in Mexico."

Who are we?
Bunker Electronics is a company strongly committed to innovation, high-tech product development and strict quality standards. We are the first and, so far, the only Latin-American company to develop a 32 bit digital audio processor with all features required to operate a complete
professional audio system. Also, Bunker Electronics has been one of the first, and with best quality, professional audio company to develop an entire set of high efficiency Class D professional audio amplifiers at affordable price, with the latest technology available.

I'd like to get my hands on one, see it's flexibility.

Running a multi-sub rig thru one would be helpful. Myself, Ideally I would prefer a minimum 4x8, to run LCRs and LFE/RB thru the DSP. But if it's not transparent enough, I don't want my mains routed thru it anyway.

DSP processors like this (or a DCX2496) are powerful tools in a multi sub approach. Global EQ, with Individual delay, and even manipulation of low passing of each sub, really goes a long way toward achieving ideal acoustic summation at the LP.

Here's their press kit.

http://www.amazon.com/BUNKER-PowerDrive-BPD-1-Loudspeaker-Management/dp/B009Z72EU8

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #3 of 18 Old 11-11-2013, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter

They are not exactly busting into the American Market. 1 seller on ebay, seems to be the only distribution for USA , and Canada. Based on 3 months of use so far, its better than the DBX driverack pa, (for subwoofer duties), as all outputs will take a sub crossover setting.

The Driverack pa plus i used, the first two outputs took the low sub settings well, but the last output was letting higher frequencies through and didnt sound right. I assume dbx designed the third output for highs only, and never considered triple subwoofer outs.

The other thing i like about it is the standard black color, I like to see in my components.
Dbx now moved to silver which i think sucks. The face plates are designed to be removed easily, so I am surprised DBX does not offer optional color faceplates as add ons. So people can match their gear.

It would be interesting to hear about other units good for triple and quad subwoofer out.

A Good amplifier requires a adequate power supply, It does not matter what the amplifier is capable of if the power supply will not provide the power required. Most amplifiers have under rated power supplies. It is up to you to make sure you get the ones that are
post #4 of 18 Old 02-15-2014, 10:15 AM

Liked: 10
Does anyone have experience in using this as a 4-way system?

It does cost a bit more than dbx but an additional crossover point is what I am looking for.
post #5 of 18 Old 02-17-2014, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

You will find the unit will do whatever 4 way response you want, in stereo and with only one unit.

post #6 of 18 Old 02-17-2014, 07:22 AM

Liked: 10
How does it compare with the mini-dsp in a box for the same price?

Output DAC section really clean? I read the specification, however I can't seem to find any actual users and/or test review data.

Also any knowledge on the plus version with the software?
post #7 of 18 Old 02-17-2014, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

You can actually download the plus version software and try it without having the unit. It is a convienience thing with the usb as with any usb interfaced unit. I am using two of these units now, and I can tell you they are extremely sweet clean units, and you will not be sorry you bought one. I have never seen anyone sell a used one online ever. Everyone keeps these puppies. I had a dbx driverack pa plus before this and it is nowhere near as good!!!!. The extra outputs is like a 25 percent bonus also!!! . as you got two single input and 8 total output.

The Plus Bunker unit is just the same unit with USB interface.

Specs are over 118 db signal to noise, Texas instruments 96k Dacs, and your money at least stays in the NAFTA region with USA Parts. My opinion is its a hidden gem and you cannot go wrong with buying this unit.

post #8 of 18 Old 02-18-2014, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Can this unit do active crossovers, or is it just an standard 2 input EQ devise?

What advantages does this unit have over a MiniDsp?
post #9 of 18 Old 02-18-2014, 03:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnplayerson View Post

I have never seen anyone sell a used one online ever.

I never saw a new one until this thread; how long have they been available?

Noah
post #10 of 18 Old 02-18-2014, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

I believe since around 2009. They certainly do not go out of their way advertising and marketing. I have only seen them for sale from one person on ebay who also sells them in larger quantity on Alibaba. I have a driverack pa + and it is currently for sale as these 8 output bunkers are much sweeter deal in my opinion, and all the outputs are truly independent and individually programable for anything, something the Driverack pa does not do. The specifications are actually a lot better too.

Marty you can set high and low pass crossover points anywhere you want, on every single output. You can even say set high and low pass to out on every output and use it as a distribution amp. Use every output for subwoofers with nothing else, or Every output with tops, Any crossover setting you want on any output. Plus you still got graphic eq, parmetric eq, compressor limiter, Gain control, sub synthesizer if you need it.

I know nothing about mini dsps, I like my units at least 19 inches wide to go with the rest of my gear.

post #11 of 18 Old 02-19-2014, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I believe since around 2009. They certainly do not go out of their way advertising and marketing. I have only seen them for sale from one person on ebay who also sells them in larger quantity on Alibaba. I have a driverack pa + and it is currently for sale as these 8 output bunkers are much sweeter deal in my opinion, and all the outputs are truly independent and individually programable for anything, something the Driverack pa does not do. The specifications are actually a lot better too.

Marty you can set high and low pass crossover points anywhere you want, on every single output. You can even say set high and low pass to out on every output and use it as a distribution amp. Use every output for subwoofers with nothing else, or Every output with tops, Any crossover setting you want on any output. Plus you still got graphic eq, parmetric eq, compressor limiter, Gain control, sub synthesizer if you need it.

I know nothing about mini dsps, I like my units at least 19 inches wide to go with the rest of my gear.

Is this unit capable of being an active crossover? Or just an EQ devise? I asked the following question in another thread, but I haven't checked to see if it's been answered yet, so I will re-ask here...what is the difference between graphic EQ and parametric EQ? Do you just adjust the sliders up and down in order to boost or cut certain frequencies? Can you post a screen shot of the EQ section and explain how you adjust the EQ portion of this unit?
post #12 of 18 Old 02-19-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

Is this unit capable of being an active crossover? Or just an EQ devise?
Both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

what is the difference between graphic EQ and parametric EQ? Do you just adjust the sliders up and down in order to boost or cut certain frequencies? Can you post a screen shot of the EQ section and explain how you adjust the EQ portion of this unit?
A graphic has a fixed Q and centre frequency with only the amplitude adjustable. A parametric has all 3 adjustable which is much more useful.
post #13 of 18 Old 02-22-2014, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?topic=137535.10

I found this thread, which includes the bunker dealer, adding about the bunker unit. He is pretty much saying 100 percent functionality and zero defects, and he is right in that it will do may more than a dbx driverack pa plus has more outputs. The bunker unit has built in parmetric equalizers on all 8 outputs, So if you want to try parametric it is there if you want it lol.

Yes there are a few dumb heads there who judged the product functionality and usefulness simply by making comments about the manual and the marketing LOL. Someone forgot to tell this guy about BOSE and how good there marketing is. A little less snake oil hype is fine by me. I tried the unit as it has 8 outputs, and the dbx driverack pa was crap in my opinion. After I tried the bunker I bought another one smile.gif)) Part of my problem is when i find something I like I buy at least 2 and sometimes 10:)

If you google it you will find a few more forums with some posts, but not many. If anyone decides to try one and doesnt like it I will straight trade you for a DBX driverack Pa plus, if you think that unit will serve you better.

The front panel is machine hole drilled for all the front leds. Pretty much exact same style as on the Cerwin Vega CV 5000 amplifier. Another bonus of the unit for me smile.gif)), as it matches my CV amps nicely.

post #14 of 18 Old 02-22-2014, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.redorbit.com/news/technology/1695393/bunker_electronics_improves_sound_quality_in_loudspeaker_systems_with_new/

Here is another article with links to the actual texas instruments 4 channel 118 db SN ADC and DAC's used in the unit

post #15 of 18 Old 02-23-2014, 07:05 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

I'm really intrigued by these, I only wish they offered a 4x8 piece.

post #16 of 18 Old 02-23-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

So with a single Bunker BPD-1 Power Drive, being that it has two inputs and 8 outputs, would it be possible to setup an active crossover for a stereo pair of 3-way speakers? I would assume that the answer is yes, although this might not be the most cost efficient way of setting up a stereo pair of active 3-ways.

I wish that it had two more inputs, that way you could use the first two inputs for a pair of active 3-ways, and then use the other two remaining inputs for EQ'ing a pair of subwoofers.

This thing cost more than a MiniDsp with at least 4 inputs and 8 outputs. What advantages does the Bunker BPD-1 have over the MiniDsp with a similar feature set?
post #17 of 18 Old 03-17-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

The other thing i like about it is the standard black color, I like to see in my components.

Another overlooked black-faced digital speaker processor is the Carvin XD360. I keep hoping someone will give it a test run and tell us what they think about it. Wouldn’t be hard, since they have a 10-day no-questions return policy; you’d only be out the return shipping. I’ve been using a Carvin amp for my subs for a number of years now and have no complaints.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 18 Old 03-18-2014, 02:52 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A. Pflughaupt View Post

Another overlooked black-faced digital speaker processor is the Carvin XD360. I keep hoping someone will give it a test run and tell us what they think about it. Wouldn’t be hard, since they have a 10-day no-questions return policy; you’d only be out the return shipping. I’ve been using a Carvin amp for my subs for a number of years now and have no complaints.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Hey Wayne,
You're right, it's overlooked, ... as is most of their product line. Despite me being around some of the finest gear available at any one time, I've kept an eye on their product line. I've always appreciated their style and approach to value minded gear, and typically their stuff possesses as much or more value than nearly anyone.

Carvin, they were internet direct before internet direct was cool! A solid, USA operation.

I like their 3x6 DSP, I've used their GUI, it's better than a lot of similar software I've used. I too am contemplating picking one up, .. I only wish they offered a 4x8 piece.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page