Best tweeter for soffit mounting: SEOS, TPL or RAAL - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 10-10-2013, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm building a HT in a small room (16' x 11') with a new 'false' front wall with soffit mounted speakers, subs, equipment, OC 703 and AT screen.

The L+R will very much be towards the corners and toed-in towards a single row 3-seat sofa about 11' out from the front wall.

I'm interested in views on which tweeters that would work best in this setup:

(1) SEOS15 with DE250 or equivalent;
(2) Beyma TPL-150H
(3) RAAL 70-20X

First I was going to go for (1) because of constant directivity and cost. Then I convinced myself that the TPL is better and worth the upgrade. But then again, I thought perhaps I should disregard this whole constant directivty business and just use the RAAL's that I already have lying around; I mean, they are considered to be one of the best tweeters around after all, but lack of course in beam pattern control, power handling and maybe dynamics compared to the other two. However I would never have to wish for a super tweeter wink.gif

Difference in cost is not a determining factor and the rest of the design will follow the choice of tweeter, so please disregard both those factors - focus is solely on in-room tweeter performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-10-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 144
If you are capable of doing a custom crossover, measurements and speaker design, then I would go with the RAAL in that small room as you could reach high levels of spl easily in that small room. The Seos/15 is a bit overkill, and while that Beyma is a great tweeter, the RAAL is just something special. I have the RAAL 70-20xr in my LCR's and they are the best out there, plus it can be crossed lower than what people think, crossing around 1400hz to a great mid would make that a giant killer!
post #3 of 14 Old 10-10-2013, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiToNi View Post

I'm building a HT in a small room (16' x 11') with a new 'false' front wall with soffit mounted speakers, subs, equipment, OC 703 and AT screen.

The L+R will very much be towards the corners and toed-in towards a single row 3-seat sofa about 11' out from the front wall.

(2) Beyma TPL-150H
(3) RAAL 70-20X

First I was going to go for (1) because of constant directivity and cost. Then I convinced myself that the TPL is better and worth the upgrade. But then again, I thought perhaps I should disregard this whole constant directivty business and just use the RAAL's that I already have lying around; I mean, they are considered to be one of the best tweeters around after all, but lack of course in beam pattern control, power handling and maybe dynamics compared to the other two. However I would never have to wish for a super tweeter wink.gif

Difference in cost is not a determining factor and the rest of the design will follow the choice of tweeter, so please disregard both those factors - focus is solely on in-room tweeter performance.

How about the SEOS RAAL? However, I'm not sure that this would fit the RAAL 70-20X. The RAAL is supposed to be cat's meow. It would be interesting if someone had the $$ to build a no compromise SEOS RAAL/TD12M.
post #4 of 14 Old 10-10-2013, 02:43 PM
pnw

Liked: 32
The RAAL should be the most nuanced of the three but, personally, I wouldn't use it in a HT because ribbons do not like significant excursion. Think about that ultra-light diaphragm on the same baffle as your subs.

The Beyma would be my choice for a very substantial 3-way.

The SEOS 15/CD would be my choice if limited to a 2-way as it can handle more LF SPL.

post #5 of 14 Old 10-11-2013, 03:56 PM

Liked: 12
Vote for Raal for pure sound quality. TPL for overall best compromise between sound and durability/SPL. I have years of experience with both.

Greg
post #6 of 14 Old 11-11-2013, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for all the inputs so far. I will probably go down the route of the 70-20XR together with Neo10 for LCR and 70-10D together with Neo8 for the surrounds.

Greg: Have you heard the SEOS waveguide and if so with what CD?
post #7 of 14 Old 11-11-2013, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I have RAAL's in my small theater room, and they fill the room with plenty of SPL no problem, they sound great! I have tried my buddies Fusion-12's and in my small room, I much preferred the RAAL's.

The RAAL 70-20Xr can actually be crossed quite low, especially for a ribbon. I believe that mine are crossed at 1,200hz. If it were me, I would go with the RAAL, Neo-8, and a high quality woofer such as the TD12 or possibly even something from the likes of ScanSpeak or Seas.

Keep us posted!
post #8 of 14 Old 11-13-2013, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
No love for the Fountek Neopro5i?

YID DIY
post #9 of 14 Old 11-13-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I am about to start a similar sized room, using a Mundorf AMT, so if you asked me about the above 3 I'd say the Beyma. Especially given the location (near the corner, as you mentioned the directivity). I think its the best balance between high SPL and quality. I personally prefer the Mundorf, but thats just me (to me they sound better than the Beyma)

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #10 of 14 Old 11-13-2013, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiToNi View Post

(2) Beyma TPL-150H
(3) RAAL 70-20X

It would really depend on the rest of the speaker. Do you mind building a three or four way? Are dynamics or detail your top priority?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajacat View Post

How about the SEOS RAAL? However, I'm not sure that this would fit the RAAL 70-20X. The RAAL is supposed to be cat's meow. It would be interesting if someone had the $$ to build a no compromise SEOS RAAL/TD12M.
That wouldn't fit your RAAL, but this would: http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguides/ha25.html

Without WG: http://i.imgur.com/aR1bJgF.jpg With WG: http://i.imgur.com/6kcnrVJ.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnw View Post

The RAAL should be the most nuanced of the three but, personally, I wouldn't use it in a HT because ribbons do not like significant excursion. Think about that ultra-light diaphragm on the same baffle as your subs.

The Beyma would be my choice for a very substantial 3-way.

The SEOS 15/CD would be my choice if limited to a 2-way as it can handle more LF SPL.
I would tend to agree, but in a 3 or 4 way, with the RAAL crossed high enough(min 4K), it would still hold it's own. But to prevent a directivity mismatch, be prepared to use a small midrange.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

I have RAAL's in my small theater room, and they fill the room with plenty of SPL no problem, they sound great! I have tried my buddies Fusion-12's and in my small room, I much preferred the RAAL's.

The RAAL 70-20Xr can actually be crossed quite low, especially for a ribbon. I believe that mine are crossed at 1,200hz. If it were me, I would go with the RAAL, Neo-8, and a high quality woofer such as the TD12 or possibly even something from the likes of ScanSpeak or Seas.

Keep us posted!
Although there are a few slightly different versions of the 70-20XR, I wouldn't recommend crossing under 2K for a HT application.

Mike
post #11 of 14 Old 11-13-2013, 04:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Are there any polars for those ribbons on SEOS'?

Noah
post #12 of 14 Old 11-13-2013, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 41
No polar, but 45 deg off axis with the WG in place: http://i.imgur.com/gCmoYPAh.jpg

FYI, if you speak to the owner of RAAL, he does not recommend the use of waveguides with his tweeters.

A friend of mine is working on a Fountek based waveguide loaded ribbon, I'll post up the results when he's done.

Mike
post #13 of 14 Old 11-13-2013, 05:06 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber View Post

No love for the Fountek Neopro5i?

Tried those too. Nope, no love. Returned them.
post #14 of 14 Old 11-13-2013, 05:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Thanks; I presume that's for the horizontal axis with the ribbon vertical; I'm interested in what the WG does in the vertical axis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Face2 View Post

No polar, but 45 deg off axis with the WG in place: http://i.imgur.com/gCmoYPAh.jpg

FYI, if you speak to the owner of RAAL, he does not recommend the use of waveguides with his tweeters.

A friend of mine is working on a Fountek based waveguide loaded ribbon, I'll post up the results when he's done.

Noah
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page