Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by 316 View Post

Aaron, hah, nope, lol speaker wire was hooked up to LF section smile.gif

In the top picture, the wire going to what I assume is the crossover input is not plugged in. It is plugged in the bottom pic, but there is also a clear jacketed speaker wire hooked up directly to the dual 15's in the first pic...were you bypassing the stock dividing network?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 506 Old 02-14-2014, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
BINGO! Good catch Aaron Yes,

I was feeding signal through LF section back into crossover to HF section!
When Marty mentioned my drivers are full range not subs and LTD02 mentioned the low pass filter it dawned on me that my drivers sound like they are trying to pass high requency which was causing my mids to sound muddied and my highs never really opened up like they should have. The only instructions that came with the 3722 said to wire to LF section. If you read back I posted that those inputs might be for connecting to another horn section like the 3731/3732 and when I looked at the PDF today on the 3732 everything came together.... LOL

I put my hands in the ports of the LF section and traced all the wires and could not find a coil. I was under the assumption that the LF section had a filter inside the cabinet but its wired just like my Bass Cannon's direct from drivers to binding plate.

Have a Happy and safe New Year!!!
post #483 of 506 Old 02-14-2014, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Wired crossovers wrong. Lf was getting fr and hf was getting high pass correctly.

Edit:late to the party :-)

Denon 4311ci with Mini DSP and antimode
L/R -DIYSOUND tempest towers (40" tall towers)
C - DIYSOUND alchemy 8
LS/RS - community D6

MACHTSUB SYSTEM
2-Stereo Integrity HST-18 D1 subs (happy dance) in dual 12 cuft ported tuned 16hz
Sub amp- inuke 12000dsp (byopc) bring your own power cord
post #484 of 506 Old 02-14-2014, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

lol, better late than never smile.gif

the + signal was passing through the LF filter before getting to the horn. It had to affect it somehow I would imagine because now that horn sings. Probably drawing power away from horn which is why it gobbed up so much power. I'm sure the LF section running full range had a lot to do with it as well. The drivers were trying to play above their range and that was masking the highs which is why I thought they sounded veiled. Also explains why the 3bd gain on the UMC EQ was not very effective, it took more to get the horns to play louder than the garbage coming through the LF drivers Im thinking. When I would calibrate the emoq allows 11db or so and it was boosting the heck out of everything to get past the LF drivers playing full range . Now that I recalibrated the most boost I seen was a little over 3db and the low end is like .25 going off memory. Huge difference.

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Theatre%20Series/3722N-HF.pdf

Looking at the same PDF file that I posted earlier I think its clear that J1-1 & J1-2 are inputs. I can't believe I missed that. Oh well, it is what it is.

post #485 of 506 Old 02-14-2014, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, the wife and daughter are out shopping so time to go back and listen to some music..... ahhhh how sweet it is.... smile.gif

post #486 of 506 Old 02-14-2014, 08:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 855
"I'm exhausted from excitement, it just sounds so good..."

that is the response everybody was hoping for....A-W-E-S-O-M-E!

Listen. It's All Good.
post #487 of 506 Old 02-14-2014, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Connected all speakers and amps today....Music sounds better in two channel with just bass cannons and R,L 3722's just the way it should... I'm exhausted from excitement, it just sounds so good and I seriously cannot believe its still going to sound better with 2242's and sound treatments once the room is done. Outstanding!! biggrin.gif

Glad you got it figured out 316! It's so much better when it's hooked up properly. tongue.gif

Pretty awesome looking front stage...it should help to get those LCRs up a bit higher when sitting on the 2242's. smile.gif

I have Yorkville U15 Unities for LCR (single 15" woofer) and will be putting dual 2226J 15's underneath each Unity (most likely in front-loaded horns)... should be pretty similar to your setup.
post #488 of 506 Old 02-14-2014, 08:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

"I have Yorkville U15 Unities for LCR (single 15" woofer) and will be putting dual 2226J 15's underneath each Unity"

you too? are you sure that your have your unities wired up properly? :-)~

Listen. It's All Good.
post #489 of 506 Old 02-14-2014, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

"I have Yorkville U15 Unities for LCR (single 15" woofer) and will be putting dual 2226J 15's underneath each Unity"

you too? are you sure that your have your unities wired up properly? :-)~

Yes sir -- the 1/4" connector is plugged firmly into the back of the cab. wink.gif
post #490 of 506 Old 02-14-2014, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

"I'm exhausted from excitement, it just sounds so good..."

that is the response everybody was hoping for....A-W-E-S-O-M-E!

thanks LTD02, this is what I was hoping for....Loud and concert type when needed and soft and detailed for smooth jazz with just two speakers. NOthing recreates horns like horns. Im running just the two 3722's right now and do not feel anything lacking, these speakers have so much presence at low volumes, amazing, and with the bass cannons firing my chest was pressurized earlier, great stuff. I feel like I can recreate any music scene, play any type of music, and of course explosions, earthquakes etc in movies, this is some good stuff. And again it will only get better!

post #491 of 506 Old 02-14-2014, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post

Yes sir -- the 1/4" connector is plugged firmly into the back of the cab. wink.gif

Hey thanks Aaron for chiming in...glad to have you visit! Sure that plug is 1/4" not 1/8" right? wink.gif

My wife just got home and tells me I been listening to music all day...duh, lol, hope your system brings much pleasure!

post #492 of 506 Old 02-14-2014, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Now all you need is a 135" Acoustically Transparent screen and a kick a$$ projector to complete the experience.

Oh, and maybe a half dozen surrounds/wides/rears...

Oh, and some acoustic treatments, , ,and . . . and

. . .the list goes on. It's a journey ! cool.gif

Glad you got your system working correctly !
post #493 of 506 Old 02-14-2014, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Glad you figured it out and happy! Set up looks intimidating smile.gif
post #494 of 506 Old 02-14-2014, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mhutchins,

Thanks, yeah i need to put my equipment list back on my sig but i have the seymour 160" scope curved at screen, jvc projector, jbl surrounds 6 ea. I will probably start making my frames for my fabric movie posters /bass traps etc soon so i can hang some treatments in this room until i start the actual ht build but next step is finishing the cabs for the 2242's

Thanks man for the comments! Your right about that journey... biggrin.gif

post #495 of 506 Old 02-14-2014, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post

Glad you figured it out and happy! Set up looks intimidating smile.gif

Bro, if you get out this way u gotta stop by!! Hope your system is tuned when i head back to visit my son biggrin.gif

You probly got more bang than me!

post #496 of 506 Old 02-14-2014, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I've got different puzzle pieces that should make for something awesome when it's dialed in. Just give me a heads up and I'll make sure to have something up and running when you come. I know your set up has to sound/feel intense!
post #497 of 506 Old 02-15-2014, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

At low volumes in pure stereo mode as stated the two 3722's have a very wide soundstage with fantastic depth. Highs and mids are very defined. I have to get up at times to make sure my center channel is off because of the illusion that the sound is coming from the center channel which it should have that illusion without the speaker being there.

The 3722's completely disappear, no hint at all that they are playing and when a note comes from the left or right it still does not appear to be coming directly from the speakers which is how it should be. Speakers should disappear when playing.

Now after many hours of listening in two channel stereo mode I fired up the bass cannons and its like icing on the cake. Those low notes thump with authority. The kick drum in particular just has that solid thud to it.

Okay I'm not trying to get religious on you guys but one of the benefits to attending church is the music. We have real bands so I do tend to sit in choice seats and don't get me wrong I don't mean anything disrespect but its almost like a free concert weekly.

Anyway's when I went to Tucson this past week we visited the Calvary Chapel on the south side and I purposely sat near the drummer because I wanted to hear those drums so the thud from the kick drum is still fresh in my mind. At that particular church you can get really close to the live music and let me tell you, most of these musicians/singers could earn a living with how good they sound.

With the bass cannons off you can hear the 3722's playing the kick drum but when I turn the bass cannons on you can feel the solid thud of it, it just extends deep and has that solid kick to it. When playing music with synthesized bass its a whole nother story, bass kicks your gut even at low volumes. I like the fact that I do not have to blow my eardrums out to feel that gut wrenching bass with music.

The bass cannons when with the gain matched (by ear) add a real solid touch that's so much worth it if just for that alone. What I like is those horns have such a large presence and with the four 15's I just don't see how one 18" sub or even two can match that without adding more gain. I think that adding more gain to get the spl up bloats the sound but by having eight subs moving the air or shall I say forming a larger wave the gain can be lower and still make the waves to hit that low note without affecting anything else. I'm not sure if I am explaining this properly but I guess my point is that its better to have more than enough as opposed to trying to get less to do more. The Bass Cannons are the real deal and the 3722 is an outstanding speaker, for the price its a steal.

Im loving this stuff man.... smile.gif

post #498 of 506 Old 02-15-2014, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

3' x 4'-6" fabric posters for room treatment panels. Flash on, colors look washed out but in person colors are fantastic.

Couple smaller panels in there. I will probably do some galaxy/star prints for ceiling panels with some type of lighting

post #499 of 506 Old 02-15-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

nice writeup a couple of posts back!

" I have to get up at times to make sure my center channel is off "

:-)

Listen. It's All Good.
post #500 of 506 Old 02-15-2014, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

smile.gif thanks LTD02!

Hey guys I just experienced something new. Okay you know when you are driving and going kinda fast and the road has a drop to it? Sorta like a roller coaster but not as extreme? Okay, I'm listening to this song "Change Me" by Ruben Studdard and there are a few I'd say about at least five points in the song where you get that feeling. It feels like you are dropping in your seat...lol, that was so cool biggrin.gif

Best way I can explain it is your body is pressurized and the bass drops to a low rumble and it makes you feel like the bottom is dropping out from you. Of course I'm talking some serious SPL here so don't try this at home, LOL biggrin.gif

If anyone tries and get the same experience please let me know!!

post #501 of 506 Old 02-15-2014, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

smile.gif thanks LTD02!

Hey guys I just experienced something new. Okay you know when you are driving and going kinda fast and the road has a drop to it? Sorta like a roller coaster but not as extreme? Okay, I'm listening to this song "Change Me" by Ruben Studdard and there are a few I'd say about at least five points in the song where you get that feeling. It feels like you are dropping in your seat...lol, that was so cool biggrin.gif

Best way I can explain it is your body is pressurized and the bass drops to a low rumble and it makes you feel like the bottom is dropping out from you. Of course I'm talking some serious SPL here so don't try this at home, LOL biggrin.gif

If anyone tries and get the same experience please let me know!!

Geez man...you are making me more and more antsy to get my build done! Sounds like you are having fun! I love it!

Denon 4311ci with Mini DSP and antimode
L/R -DIYSOUND tempest towers (40" tall towers)
C - DIYSOUND alchemy 8
LS/RS - community D6

MACHTSUB SYSTEM
2-Stereo Integrity HST-18 D1 subs (happy dance) in dual 12 cuft ported tuned 16hz
Sub amp- inuke 12000dsp (byopc) bring your own power cord
post #502 of 506 Old 02-15-2014, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah its funny , I called my brother over and played the song and asked him to describe it and he said he felt pressure all around his body and it went down. He got the same feeling. Its just something about the way they mixed the song where it has all this pressure and when they release it they mix in a extremely low rumble of bass at the same time that's not loud, just very low vibration so the timing of it feels like you depressurize through to the floor. If it was intentional it pretty slick, if not somebody should think of it and take advantage of it because its a psychological effect that tricks the brain into a physical feeling of motion, or the other way around. confused.gifwink.gif

For curiosity I got the laptop out with the omnimic but it kept going out of range after peaking at 134 or 138db I'll have to check again. This was measured at 18' back from the speakers. BTW, all the gains on my two EP4k's are at 12oclock and the FP14k is at 9oclock and the gain on the UMC-200 is 63 and no clipping in site, I have unreal headroom. My sub level was set to 0db so the cannons are throttled way back. I really think I can break the windows if I wanted to. Seriously the power feels so strong. For curiosity I took it up a few more click and everything just went up like nothing, no clipping, no distorting, nada, just louder. I decided to keep 63 as my stupid crazy level, and 65 as my dude what are you doing level, and 70 as my bro, your freakin nuts level. I don't even want to know what it will do above that...its insane.

But yeah, hurry and finish your build, lol biggrin.gif Your missing all the fun!!

Might also add that this is only two of the 3722's in stereo mode with bass cannons. The UMC-200 will play all speaker stereo mode but Im not interested in that for music. My brother noted how clear everything sounds and it does.

Now that I cleaned up that mid area and cleared up the highs with PROPER TERMINATION, I can sit for long periods listening to music without getting fatigued, in the 30-43 setting on the UMC-200 that is. Movies were never an issue but now they sound better, much better. I think its because so much is dialogue and sound effects so it masked the fact that the owner did not have his crossovers hooked up properly. I ran the WOW demo for my brother and when we were done all he wanted to do was touch the bass cannons, lol. It was so funny cause he was looking at them, every nook and cranny, just marveling at them, absolutely hilarious...and yes he did the same with the 3722's but not as much as the bass cannons. Things are beasts!

post #503 of 506 Old 02-15-2014, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Love the fabric posters!

JBL Pro Cinema
post #504 of 506 Old 02-15-2014, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, smile.gif

here is where I got the info if interested. Reading the last page or two should put you in the right spot

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1316623/diy-custom-printed-movie-poster-acoustic-panels-cheap/0_100
Reddig likes this.

post #505 of 506 Old 07-17-2014, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 34
This has to be one of the greatest build threads on AVS. Stunning!

Any pics of your completed theater?
post #506 of 506 Old 07-17-2014, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXRDISBEST View Post
This has to be one of the greatest build threads on AVS. Stunning!

Any pics of your completed theater?
Howdy! Nothing new to report yet. There will be a few things changing but the major holdback are the two remodel projects going on for the wife bfore I can dedicate my attention to the HT.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page