T/S measurement - Crossover Effects on Electrical Q (Qes). - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-15-2013, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am attempting to design enclosures for a handfull of ceiling speakers throughout my house. I have a Dayton DATS module being delivered to me such that I can obtain the T/S Parameters to find a suitable enclosure volume. The speaker in question certainly has an onboard crossover network for its coaxial layout (woofer/tweeter located on the same axis), as a populated crossover board consisting of R, L, C's is present. I dont know the exact x-over point, but dont know if its even relevant to the discussion. My curiousity is this.... To best size the enclosure volume, should I base it purely on the T/S parameters on the isolated 8" woofer (meaning measuring T/S parameters of the woofer only absent the crossover network). Or conversely, would I obtain the t/s paramerts of the "system", meaning woofer + tweeter + crossover network. The tweeter seems to be already "enclosed" on top of the woofer. I realize in-ceiling speakers in general are optomized for IB applications, however on a whim, I constructed an intitial enclosure about 1.25 cu ft, and enjoyed the results more than the IB setup. Bass was remarkably more present when subjected to 40, 50, 60hz, and overal sound was noticeably tighter, hinting that a well designed enclosure would result in improvement in sound perception. Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-19-2013, 07:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 857
"To best size the enclosure volume, should I base it purely on the T/S parameters on the isolated 8" woofer"

yes.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-19-2013, 07:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 857
"Bass was remarkably more present when subjected to 40, 50, 60hz, and overal sound was noticeably tighter, hinting that a well designed enclosure would result in improvement in sound perception. Thanks!!!"

also, be sure to use good design practice with the enclosures, such as stuffing with fiberglass and making them air tight. most in wall/ceiling speakers don't have an enclosure and end up with a bare wall right behind them. the sound coming off the back of the driver is reflected and emanates through the cone smearing things in time.

Listen. It's All Good.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page