dayton ultimax 15 noise - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #121 of 132 Old 11-02-2013, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
filtor1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 925
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile2k View Post


I'm not sure there is any evidence of that. As far as being made in China, show me a driver that isn't!

From my understanding AE dose almost all of their driver assembly and parts acquisition in the US. Also Fi built drivers are fully US built including parts.
filtor1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 132 Old 11-02-2013, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
swc11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Watched Monsters university on bluray. Volume was at 60, sub set to +3 and left gain at 25%. Was very impressed with sound from sub and there was a few scenes that could be felt thru the floor and couch. I have around $625 in this sub. Is that about average for this type of sub and could I have done better just buying an i.d. sub for the same money?
swc11 is offline  
post #123 of 132 Old 11-02-2013, 06:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Audiophile2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I think you've done well...some of the ID subs in that price range would be close in overall performance, but you have not wasted any money.
Audiophile2k is offline  
post #124 of 132 Old 12-21-2013, 02:58 PM
Member
 
scottvamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I recently bought 2 of the Ultimax 12's and put them in a ported box that was an exact replica of an SVS PB+2 that I previously owned. I was getting that same type of sound that swc11 was getting at about half excursion, even when I sealed the ports??? No one could tell me what it was. I went to the sealed boxes at PE and they sound great now.
Problem is on the Ultimax subs one person says they were designed for a sealed box and the next expert says they perform better in a ported box.
So now I am so happy with the dual 12's that I am thinking about building dual 15's with the PE sealed boxes;) I also sealed the ports on my SVS, so these are my first experience with sealed subs. I have always been use to the ports pressurizing the room and digging a bit deeper though.
kenny555 likes this.
scottvamp is offline  
post #125 of 132 Old 12-22-2013, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Martycool007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by swc11 View Post

Watched Monsters university on bluray. Volume was at 60, sub set to +3 and left gain at 25%. Was very impressed with sound from sub and there was a few scenes that could be felt thru the floor and couch. I have around $625 in this sub. Is that about average for this type of sub and could I have done better just buying an i.d. sub for the same money?

What amp did you end up using for this build? Hopefully you went with a decent pro-amp that can be used to add an additional sub enclosure down the road as then all you would have to do is purchase the wood, and driver, and just hook the second sub up to the other unused channel of your pro-amp!
Martycool007 is offline  
post #126 of 132 Old 12-22-2013, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
swc11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I used a Dayton 1000 watt plate amp.
swc11 is offline  
post #127 of 132 Old 12-22-2013, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
nograveconcern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 565
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottvamp View Post

I recently bought 2 of the Ultimax 12's and put them in a ported box that was an exact replica of an SVS PB+2 that I previously owned. I was getting that same type of sound that swc11 was getting at about half excursion, even when I sealed the ports??? No one could tell me what it was. I went to the sealed boxes at PE and they sound great now.
Problem is on the Ultimax subs one person says they were designed for a sealed box and the next expert says they perform better in a ported box.
So now I am so happy with the dual 12's that I am thinking about building dual 15's with the PE sealed boxes;) I also sealed the ports on my SVS, so these are my first experience with sealed subs. I have always been use to the ports pressurizing the room and digging a bit deeper though.

Judging by the qts, the ultimax subs are much better suited to sealed enclosures, but can still work in ported.
nograveconcern is offline  
post #128 of 132 Old 12-22-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 9,318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1214
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottvamp View Post

Problem is on the Ultimax subs one person says they were designed for a sealed box and the next expert says they perform better in a ported box.
Both answers are correct. They were designed for a sealed box, the high Qes/Qts and low EBP makes that obvious. They also will perform better in a ported box, as most drivers will. That's easily seen if you model it both ways in WinISD and let the program go to the default alignment with both options. Sealed gives a 6.5 cu ft box with a 30Hz f3, ported gives a 9.4 cu ft box with a 14Hz f3.
As for port noise, that's almost always the result of ports that are too small in area. That's the case with most commercial subs. They're too small because the correct size results in the cab having to be larger, and that's not what consumers want. The 9.4 cu ft box for the UMax 12 would require about 40 inches area, with a 36 inch duct length, and that's almost another cubic foot right there.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Bill Fitzmaurice is offline  
post #129 of 132 Old 12-23-2013, 04:43 PM
Member
 
scottvamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Both answers are correct. They were designed for a sealed box, the high Qes/Qts and low EBP makes that obvious. They also will perform better in a ported box, as most drivers will. That's easily seen if you model it both ways in WinISD and let the program go to the default alignment with both options. Sealed gives a 6.5 cu ft box with a 30Hz f3, ported gives a 9.4 cu ft box with a 14Hz f3.
As for port noise, that's almost always the result of ports that are too small in area. That's the case with most commercial subs. They're too small because the correct size results in the cab having to be larger, and that's not what consumers want. The 9.4 cu ft box for the UMax 12 would require about 40 inches area, with a 36 inch duct length, and that's almost another cubic foot right there.

Thanks for the info Bill;)
scottvamp is offline  
post #130 of 132 Old 07-10-2014, 01:07 AM
Senior Member
 
crabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hindmarsh Is, South Australia
Posts: 417
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Purchased 4 Ultimax 15 just over 12 months ago.
Just building 4cu/ft sealed boxes now. Got one box complete.
1st Driver is having the same problem as swc11 had.
Tried swapping amps, removing stuffing but still made same noise.
Swapped to a different driver and boom no more nasty noises.
crabra is offline  
post #131 of 132 Old 07-11-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BassThatHz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: East side of NW Cascades
Posts: 2,621
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabra View Post
Purchased 4 Ultimax 15 just over 12 months ago.
Just building 4cu/ft sealed boxes now. Got one box complete.
1st Driver is having the same problem as swc11 had.
Tried swapping amps, removing stuffing but still made same noise.
Swapped to a different driver and boom no more nasty noises.
Weird. I bought 6 of them 7 months ago and haven't had any problems to-date.
unluck of the draw I guess...
BassThatHz is offline  
post #132 of 132 Old 07-11-2014, 02:42 PM
Senior Member
 
crabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hindmarsh Is, South Australia
Posts: 417
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post
Weird. I bought 6 of them 7 months ago and haven't had any problems to-date.
unluck of the draw I guess...
Tested all 4 and only the 1 bad one.
They are sending new one out next week.
crabra is offline  
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
Dayton Audio Um15 22 15 Ultimax Dvc Subwoofer 2 Ohms Per Coil

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off