2Likes

post #181 of 205 Old 04-14-2014, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
d_c
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I can't feel any air at all. I can feel energy, ie clothes shaking, nose itch, floor vibrates. There is not much air that you can feel that comes out anyways with the huge horn mouth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 205 Old 04-14-2014, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c View Post

I can't feel any air at all. I can feel energy, ie clothes shaking, nose itch, floor vibrates. There is not much air that you can feel that comes out anyways with the huge horn mouth.

No, you wouldn't.

It's just like the reverse. If you put you your hand on the end of the shop vac hose it sucks your hand up violently...a few inches away and nothing.
The air is pushed around right at the mouth in close proximity. Beyond that range there are pressure waves.

post #183 of 205 Old 04-15-2014, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter
d_c
Advanced Member

I forgot how loud the fans are on the clone. What's the consensus on swapping them out? Does this mod relate to failure of the amp or no?

post #184 of 205 Old 04-15-2014, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Just find some Nexus computer fans and be sure the resistance matches or get a speed control

Blazar!
post #185 of 205 Old 06-05-2014, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
d_c
Advanced Member

Done

Couch and stuff to deliver next week and the rest of the gear to install and I'll post up some measurements soon. I have some mains to build too.

When I sit at the LP, my vision blurs nicely with my new favorite demo track - buy the flac file, it's worth the $2:
http://youtu.be/3UlUji6Qp7A

post #186 of 205 Old 06-06-2014, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Nice! Did you ever get a chance to tune your subs?

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #187 of 205 Old 06-06-2014, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c View Post

Done

Couch and stuff to deliver next week and the rest of the gear to install and I'll post up some measurements soon. I have some mains to build too.

When I sit at the LP, my vision blurs nicely with my new favorite demo track - buy the flac file, it's worth the $2:
http://youtu.be/3UlUji6Qp7A

Great job on the fit and finish! That really looks cool!

post #188 of 205 Old 06-06-2014, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
d_c
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Nice! Did you ever get a chance to tune your subs?

I will set up the mic and get things dialed in hopefully next week
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

Great job on the fit and finish! That really looks cool!

Thanks man - the LEDs really showcase the driver that has been hidden up there. The plan is to make grills with white grill cloths for the subs and surrounds. I sure like looking at the drivers for now though.

post #189 of 205 Old 06-06-2014, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Wow Doug! Great job, can't wait to hear this rig. ;-)

Nate

post #190 of 205 Old 06-06-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Excellent finishing work. Bravo.

post #191 of 205 Old 06-06-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Looking good Doug!

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

post #192 of 205 Old 06-06-2014, 10:49 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Oh sweet!

Nice finish, Doug. Looks great and I bet it sounds awesome. smile.gif Blurring your vision is definitely what I like to hear. biggrin.gif

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #193 of 205 Old 06-06-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
That's the stuff!
post #194 of 205 Old 06-06-2014, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
d_c
Advanced Member

Thanks guys - and thanks Ricci for sharing such an awesome design with us

Here is a link to pics of the nearly complete room they are in:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1533566/dougs-stealthy-living-room-ht/30#post_24799731

post #195 of 205 Old 06-30-2014, 09:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Wow

One of the most awesome builds I've seen.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #196 of 205 Old 07-21-2014, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
d_c
Advanced Member

I finally ran some sweeps with the room done. Not nearly as bad as I thought!

No Audessey, no EQ, no processing

After Audessey xt32

post #197 of 205 Old 07-21-2014, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
d_c
Advanced Member

With Mains, 1/6 smoothing, 2.5db hot on the AVR which measures 10db hot with both subs (my normal preference, add 10 more for demos )

The mains are AE TD12m/DNA-360 SEOS. Measurements are 2ch with both subs

post #198 of 205 Old 07-21-2014, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Very nice Doug!

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

post #199 of 205 Old 07-21-2014, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Solid!
post #200 of 205 Old 07-22-2014, 03:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Look awesome DC.

post #201 of 205 Old 07-22-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 479
That is a sweet looking response, especially for REW which seems to be choppier than the omnimic at least from the graphs I have seen.

So you have your mains done? Pictures? Or did I miss them. What are you crossing them at?

post #202 of 205 Old 07-22-2014, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
d_c
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
That is a sweet looking response, especially for REW which seems to be choppier than the omnimic at least from the graphs I have seen.

So you have your mains done? Pictures? Or did I miss them. What are you crossing them at?
Yes and no. I built some temporary cabs so I can listen to them while I make some nice ones. They will perform the same, and they sound awesome. The sweet spot is 10 feet wide. I have them crossed at 60hz, or I should say Audessey crossed them at 60. I tuned them to 45, so a xo at 60 is perfect for these.

Last edited by d_c; 07-22-2014 at 05:29 PM.
post #203 of 205 Old 07-22-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Clean set up, I really like how you did the edges of the speakers and the port.
post #204 of 205 Old 07-22-2014, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Have the police visited yet? You should send a few dozen donuts to your local station.
post #205 of 205 Old 07-22-2014, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
d_c
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post
Clean set up, I really like how you did the edges of the speakers and the port.
Thanks - the baffle edge on the final ones will be deeper and steeper, with curved sides. I dig the port too, so that will stay the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samps View Post
Have the police visited yet? You should send a few dozen donuts to your local station.
Not that I have noticed

The downside to these subs is that they empty the contents of the pantry shelves to the floor when I play the server room scene from Pulse at +10 reference with subs +10db hot. My wife does not approve of this.
Boomassiv likes this.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page