newbee here saying hi and planning on building a couple front speakers for my theater. - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 69 Old 11-12-2013, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I have used industrial velcro or hot glue with no problem on the side of the cabinet in my builds.

Willie
americanhotwax likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 69 Old 11-13-2013, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie View Post

I have used industrial velcro or hot glue with no problem on the side of the cabinet in my builds.

Willie

Industrial Velcro sounds like a great idea.

post #63 of 69 Old 11-13-2013, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
post #64 of 69 Old 11-15-2013, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Question,

I have a speaker cable run of thirty feet of in wall Monster 14 gauge speaker wire. I also have plenty of left over Monster in wall 16 gauge speaker wire. Is it ok for me to use the Monster 16 gauge in wall speake wire  inside the fusion 12 tempest to wire the driver and horn to the x/o.

post #65 of 69 Old 11-16-2013, 05:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 912
yes.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #66 of 69 Old 12-10-2013, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

DIY sound group tempest build completed and easy as 1,2,3. The flat packs are cut to perfection and the duratex was as easy as it can get and just the finish I was looking for. Erich and the forum members who helped make this possible for me have my heart felt appreciation.

I tried them out without any electronic mods and just hooked up the new LCR. I first played some tracks off of the dvd Zappa plays Zappa and after that a blue ray movie Rise of the Planet Of The Apes.

The first thing I noticed was the improved sound quality and then the volume that was now at 25 % volume, sounded as loud as the old speakers did at 35 % volume.

I noticed a vast improvement with the center channel during the movie and how 3 of the same in front makes a big difference.

I have a feeling that although the speakers sound great now that with the umc 1 room EQ and more electronic adjustments I will be able to improve the sound. I picked up a radioshack digital sound level meter today and will dabble in some basic room EQ. I have an old computer that runs on windows ME with a sound blaster live sound card and a radio shack stereo 3 channel mixer equalizer that I think I could use to get some data.

post #67 of 69 Old 12-11-2013, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepidati0n View Post

Matching your front speakers in terms of timbre is very importantly for blending. Otherwise even an untrained ear, once it is pointed out, will notice the difference. If you can, replace all three and enjoy.

I'd like to hear that and have it pointed out to me. It's not that I doubt you about timbre matching, but from an intellectual point of view, I'd like to critically hear what those differences are.
+++

Anecdotal story: When I got my Cheap Thrills, through a strange set of circumstances, I had the stock DNA-360 CD's from that kit, and the DNA-205's from Fusion 10's. The 360 is physically HUGE compared to the 205, so there is no way they should sound the same.

Just for my entertainment I set up LR speakers with the 360 on one side, and the 205 on the other, because I wanted to hear the difference between the 12" waveguides with different CD's. They both sounded VERY similar in an A/B test, but when they were both played together, they sounded better together than either one did by itself. I think they 205 was smoother down low, and the 360 reached a little higher in the range for the music I was listening to, brass/jazz.

One totally subjective story means nothing, but it is what got me to wondering about "timbre matching." To my ears, each CD kind of filled in the gap in the sound, and produced a beautiful full sound. I know I'm crazy, and I bet someone could come up with some charts and graphs why I'm wrong, but that is what I heard.

Symmetry pleases the eye, but it usually offends the ears where low frequencies are concerned. -Yoda Fitzmaurice
post #68 of 69 Old 12-11-2013, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1284
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvu80 View Post

I'd like to hear that and have it pointed out to me. It's not that I doubt you about timbre matching, but from an intellectual point of view, I'd like to critically hear what those differences are.
Consider listening to a trumpet and viola play the same note. What makes one sound like a trumpet and the other like a viola is timbre. Two different speakers wouldn't be as radically different sounding, but that's the gist of why they should be matched.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #69 of 69 Old 12-12-2013, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Consider listening to a trumpet and viola play the same note. What makes one sound like a trumpet and the other like a viola is timbre. Two different speakers wouldn't be as radically different sounding, but that's the gist of why they should be matched.

Now you're talking my language! smile.gif

I don't do charts and graphs, and of course I know my hearing is totally subjective and "perception is reality" so I try hard to be objective in my critical listening. I bought a pair of Magnapan MG-1s (super accurate speaker) back in my younger days after my buddy who had a flugal horn, came in and played the opening to Chuck Magione's "Feel so good" and then I compared live to the Maggies. With my eyes shut, they sounded almost exactly alike, so I bought the Maggies because I wanted an accurate speaker.

I think of timbre as "does a piano (or whatever instrument) sound like a piano on playback? Timbre to me is when the QUALITY of sound matches live, and is very clear. This becomes apparent with brass instruments and cymbals due to overtones.

In my example with differing horn drivers, it was kind of like the difference between listening to a single voice, and two voices singing in harmony. One voice is a little "thin" but very distinctive, but two voices due to their inexactness produces a sound which is a little fatter. I think that may have been the effect I was hearing, but I couldn't say for sure.

Back to your point Bill, listening to a trumpet and viola is certainly an example of timbre, but what I was thinking is the difference between listening to a single trumpet sound with two different speakers. If they sound the same across LCR speakers, to me that would be timbre matching. If they sounded slightly different, that could produce a disharmonious sound which did NOT accurately reproduce the trumpet sound. The problem then would be (if there is one) if speaker A reproduced a tinny sounding trumpet, then timbre matched speaker B might also have the same tinny or thin sound. OTOH, if the speakers were NOT timbre matched, the combined harmonics might produce a fatter, fuller sound.

This is where I would do well to actually listen to the timbre matched speakers and have the differences pointed out to me, because I probably don't know what to listen for. It's so hard to describe musical concepts from simply writing words!

Symmetry pleases the eye, but it usually offends the ears where low frequencies are concerned. -Yoda Fitzmaurice
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page