newbee here saying hi and planning on building a couple front speakers for my theater. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 69 Old 10-22-2013, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

The equipment in use are,

amp is enlightend audio design power master 500 , 100x5 8 ohms

umc1 processor

sony bdp s580

ead cd 1000

ead dsp 7000 series three

The speakers are garage sale speakers ,

nice klipsch sub

RL front , soundfield dbx v , the ones everyone cuts on but they dont sound that bad to me, maybe my equipment brings out the best in them.

The surrounds are pioneer sc515

the center is B&W

I also have a pair of B&W 800i  a blown tweeter in one and a blown driver in the other. When I opened them up I was introduced to a passive woofer.

Looking to build a couple speaker kits from Erich , LR fronts to start because I like to listen to music dvds in stereo and watch concerts on the big screen.

Upstairs I have the mirage M7si sub center LR fronts , bought them new.

Here are photos of the space I want to put the speakers in. The theater screen wall is concrete with brown silicote paint a mineral paint, the opposite wall is concrete with white silicote paint.

the sides and ceiling are drywall. 30x30 space. The floor is coverd with various carpet and indoor out door rugs.

Advice on the best soundgroup kit for the Fronts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 Old 10-22-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Looks like you don't have size constraints? What about budget? Do you listen loud?
post #3 of 69 Old 10-22-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 912
i'd also encourage you to think holistically about the system, as larger and/or different types of subs can work better or worse with different mains.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #4 of 69 Old 10-22-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Man, everytime I see a room like this...my imagination starts running out of control.

Soooo many things I would do to that space.

post #5 of 69 Old 10-22-2013, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

My budget is around 1k

I like it loud sometimes but I never go over 45% volume with umc1.

post #6 of 69 Old 10-22-2013, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

A decent pair of fronts would no doubt alow me to go louder.

I like to sit at the bar and listen to music dvds in stereo.

post #7 of 69 Old 10-22-2013, 09:56 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Man, everytime I see a room like this...my imagination starts running out of control.

For realz.

A trio of Fusion-12 Tempest's sounds like a good fit for the room and budget.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #8 of 69 Old 10-22-2013, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Check out the Sentinels. $400 each. Plus you'll need wood, paint, etc. They're big, but that doesn't seem like an issue. Lot's of low end grunt to offer flexibility with subs and room. Start looking there and refine your search. Perhaps you won't like the look or price, or something. Let us know and I'm sure there will be other suggestions.
post #9 of 69 Old 10-22-2013, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Glad you like it , I built it from scratch. I used AVS to help design the theater area. I read a lot of Mississippi mans advice before I built. The bar area was my design.

Now I am thinking sound. I think I have a good foundation with the electronics and now to start with am  looking to build a couple speakers for the LR fronts for around 1k. I sometimes like to sit at the bar and listen to music dvd. Zappa plays Zappa DVDand others I have recorded off the TV over the years.

post #10 of 69 Old 10-22-2013, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

Check out the Sentinels. $400 each. Plus you'll need wood, paint, etc. They're big, but that doesn't seem like an issue. Lot's of low end grunt to offer flexibility with subs and room. Start looking there and refine your search. Perhaps you won't like the look or price, or something. Let us know and I'm sure there will be other suggestions.

Thanks I will look into that.

post #11 of 69 Old 10-22-2013, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

For realz.

A trio of Fusion-12 Tempest's sounds like a good fit for the room and budget.

Oh ya, depends if it's two or three speaker. I was thinking two based on his posts. What say you hotwax?
post #12 of 69 Old 10-22-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 912
why am I seeing a pair of lilmike f20's in that room? :-)

Listen. It's All Good.
post #13 of 69 Old 10-22-2013, 10:21 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:

Oh ya, depends if it's two or three speaker. I was thinking two based on his posts. What say you hotwax?

Agreed. I would have posted what you did but I am thinking a decent center channel to go with new mains is a solid investment. Though I would just inflate the budget a bit to fit in three Sentinels. cool.gif

Really depends on how much non 2ch listening the OP is doing, I guess. I usually use some center fill anymore when I listen to music and I certainly would in a room that wide. But that's me. tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

why am I seeing a pair of lilmike f20's in that room? :-)

Those will show up in his next thread .... after these have been built, of course. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
popalock likes this.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

post #14 of 69 Old 10-22-2013, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Agreed. I would have posted what you did but I am thinking a decent center channel to go with new mains is a solid investment. Though I would just inflate the budget a bit to fit in three Sentinels. cool.gif

Really depends on how much non 2ch listening the OP is doing, I guess. I usually use some center fill anymore when I listen to music and I certainly would in a room that wide. But that's me. tongue.gif
Those will show up in his next thread .... after these have been built, of course. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Quote:

I think that is good advice. I do like stereo . would two 15s and a 12 center work. My budget is flexible and I dont want to stress the amp if that makes sense.

post #15 of 69 Old 10-22-2013, 11:42 AM
Bass Enabler

These will more than likely be easier on your amps than your current gear. wink.gif

If you budget is flexible, why not build three Sentinels? No reason at all in your room why you should compromise the center channel arbitrarily. That is unless your budget isn't flexible. tongue.gif

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #16 of 69 Old 10-22-2013, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanhotwax View Post

I think that is good advice. I do like stereo . would two 15s and a 12 center work. My budget is flexible and I dont want to stress the amp if that makes sense.

I guess as long as I am not runing 4ohm speakers I should be fine.

post #17 of 69 Old 10-22-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Ya, I'd go three of the same unless you're bent on using a stereo pair. If you can stretch to $1200, the sents look pretty awesome and did well at a GTG. Otherwise step back to something within your budget.
post #18 of 69 Old 10-23-2013, 03:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 146
If it were me, I would hold out another 3 or 4 weeks and get the Seos-15 paired with either a DanA-360 or a BMS-4550 and an AETD15 or similar offerings from B&C or Eminence.
post #19 of 69 Old 10-23-2013, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Ya, I'd go three of the same unless you're bent on using a stereo pair. If you can stretch to $1200, the sents look pretty awesome and did well at a GTG. Otherwise step back to something within your budget.

I think I am going with sents for the LR fronts and a fusion 8 for the center because it will fit nicely and look better to me under the screen. The two reviews were great and one reviewer said it has no problem keeping up with his sents.

I am curious why are there are not more reviews on the sound group page for the various speakers. One review for the sents?

post #20 of 69 Old 10-23-2013, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The low end grunt does not compromise the mid range at all does it?

post #21 of 69 Old 10-23-2013, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Lots of builds but not many reviews for some reason. I'm not sure the sentinels have been built much. I can't say about the midrange. I wouldn't suspect it, but I haven't heard them.

The ultimate midrange might be Face2's TD10M / SEOS 12 design. He's kept it to himself and its not a kit though.
post #22 of 69 Old 10-23-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 168
I built and used Sentinels for a while and now have the TD15M/dna360 seos12 combo.....for not much more, I'd look at the TD15/seos12 combo for sure. The sealed iterration I have won't do quite as much down low as the sents, but if crossing to subs, they are a step up in quality IMO. The sents are really good and the TD15 combo is great imo. Your room will likely dicatate more than anything, but just another option for you. You could combine two of them with the above mentioned Face speaker for center and be a great match. The only thing with the TD15 combo is the xover parts are like a hundred bucks. You could be close to $500 each for the L/R and then whatever your center cost is. If you decide to look at the TD15, there is not kit, but I have the parts list and schematic I can post
post #23 of 69 Old 10-23-2013, 09:13 PM

Liked: 12
I've been in the same boat going back and forth on what SEOS kit to buy. Took the plunge today and pre ordered the SEOS 15 and placing the order for two AE TD15M's. I'm hoping that the experts on the forum will come up with a XO based on the SEOS 15 in the near future. If that doesn't work will go for the SEOS 12 with the above tried and tested XO.
post #24 of 69 Old 10-23-2013, 09:34 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gijogeo View Post

I've been in the same boat going back and forth on what SEOS kit to buy. Took the plunge today and pre ordered the SEOS 15 and placing the order for two AE TD15M's. I'm hoping that the experts on the forum will come up with a XO based on the SEOS 15 in the near future. If that doesn't work will go for the SEOS 12 with the above tried and tested XO.

It's already been done by Bill Waslo.
gijogeo likes this.
post #25 of 69 Old 10-23-2013, 10:31 PM

Liked: 12
Got it http://www.diysoundgroup.com/forum/index.php?topic=182.0
Had actually seen it a couple of weeks back but lost track of it. Thanks ozziedog
post #26 of 69 Old 10-23-2013, 10:44 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gijogeo View Post

Got it http://www.diysoundgroup.com/forum/index.php?topic=182.0
Had actually seen it a couple of weeks back but lost track of it. Thanks ozziedog

No problem, I actually meant to put the link on there and somehow forgot. It should be one hell of a speaker if you build it.
post #27 of 69 Old 10-24-2013, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

If it were me, I would hold out another 3 or 4 weeks and get the Seos-15 paired with either a DanA-360 or a BMS-4550 and an AETD15 or similar offerings from B&C or Eminence.

A BMS SEOS is being contemplated?

Last I read it seemed like Erich wasn't convinced the BMS had much to offer over the DNA-360?

Isn't a BMS/AETD combo going to add significant cost to the equation?

post #28 of 69 Old 10-24-2013, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:

A BMS SEOS is being contemplated?

Last I read it seemed like Erich wasn't convinced the BMS had much to offer over the DNA-360?

Isn't a BMS/AETD combo going to add significant cost to the equation?

Yes, it won't be cheap, but should sound great! The BMS is pretty expensive, yes, and we are not sure how it would perform compared to the DNA-360 on a Seos-15. It has been said that on the Seos-12 the BMS is pretty much dead even with the DNA-360, but it has been speculated that on the Seos-15, the BMS-4550 might be a little better than the DNA-360, although it might not, we just don't know.
post #29 of 69 Old 10-24-2013, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

Yes, it won't be cheap, but should sound great! The BMS is pretty expensive, yes, and we are not sure how it would perform compared to the DNA-360 on a Seos-15. It has been said that on the Seos-12 the BMS is pretty much dead even with the DNA-360, but it has been speculated that on the Seos-15, the BMS-4550 might be a little better than the DNA-360, although it might not, we just don't know.

Spot on..the 4550 offered little, if anything over the 360 on the seos12 in the same design, and nothing audible. I'm not sure how the seos15 would change that if the 4550 could be run a hair lower, but I think we're splitting hairs there and the cost would not warrant the change. I looked at the seos15 combo myself, to either run active or have a passive built and it just didn't make enough sense...but then again I was looking at them for surrounds. The seos15 an handle being run down below 900hz and the 4550 can be safely crossed at 800. I would imagine that an 800hz xover would work out fine, although I'm not sure how much difference it would make over the 360/seos12 at 950 or 1000hz....it's almost a hundred bucks per speaker less with the 12/360 combo. Another thing I'd keep in mind is future expansion. If you plan to add new surrounds down the road, you can continue with the 12/360 combo and have a perfect match. Most will say it's way overkill for surrounds, but I like the idea of a perfect matching set when possible. Once you start adding $100 per speaker up, it goes fast...$300 lcr, $2-400 surrounds, maybe a $200 for wide channels/heights down the road....before you know it, it's a grand more. I only say all this because I have experienced first hand starting out with $400 a piece diy seos speakers and wound up with almost $10k in parts biggrin.gif
post #30 of 69 Old 10-26-2013, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Lots of builds but not many reviews for some reason. I'm not sure the sentinels have been built much. I can't say about the midrange. I wouldn't suspect it, but I haven't heard them.

The ultimate midrange might be Face2's TD10M / SEOS 12 design. He's kept it to himself and its not a kit though.

What type of wood are the cabinet fronts made of in the kit? What type of wood or woods are most cabinets made of? What typ of wood are used in the flat packs?

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page