Need advice for sub build please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-24-2013, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Building a sub to replace my Paradigm PS-1000. I've narrowed down the driver to 2 choices. The Dayton 15" ultimax or reference hf.
I'm going to drive it initialy with the amp from the PS-1000 which I think is rated at 200 watts rms. The room is about 12x20'. I was thinking of going sealed, maybe sono tube. Size isn't really an issue, I just like the look of the sono's. I'm more interested in SQ than SPL. I would like it to go down to 20 hz though. Which driver is best and can I get what I want with a sealed box? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2013, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 172
My advise is to build a large porter enclosure. It will be hard for one sub to full that space, and I am afraid that if you build it sealed, you won't have enough power from that wimpy amplifier to get any decent performance as sealed enclosures require a lot of power. Plus being that you are only building one for such a largish room, the ported sub will beat the sealed sub by approx 8db throughout the low end.

So with that being said, I recommend plotting those drivers in a ported enclosure in winISD to figure out the best enclosure size and port tune. That amp is not very powerful, so I would highly recommend saving up for a new one sometime soon! You might be able to get somewhat decent spl initially but adding a new amp, like a Behringer EP4000 or iNuke 3000 would make a good difference!

I don't have access to winISD at the moment due to being on my iPhone 5 and no access to a laptop, but I am sure that someone like LTD02 would be willing to help you with the design!
Old 10-25-2013, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Both of those drivers are best suited to sealed enclosures, so yes, they will work sealed. While you can get what you want with a sealed box you need 6-8 of them and and L/T boost down low along with 6-8 kilowatts to hit reference in that room below 20hz.

If 20hz and nothing below is all you want then a different driver in a ported box will get louder at 20hz and above in that room then either of your choices in a sealed box.

The Dayton HO 18 and SI 18 are both better suited to a ported alignment (though they are frequently used sealed as well).
Old 10-25-2013, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Size isn't really an issue, I just like the look of the sono's.

Whatever alignment you decide to go with though, sono is a good option if that’s what your preference is, so no worries there.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
Old 10-25-2013, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Old 10-27-2013, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok thanks for the replies. I'm going to build a thtlp. Seems to be best bang for the buck or if the claims are true best bang for many times the cost. I'm going to put a nice hardwood top on it and use as a coffee table. Hope it doesn't spill my beer.eek.gif