DIY Noob Interested In SEOS Setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 10-29-2013, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Hey guys, hoping you can assist me in whether or not I need to upgrade (I'm guessing you'll tell me yes).

Long story short, current setup:

L/R - Cerwin Vega XLS-215 - http://www.cerwinvega.com/home-audio/floorstanding-speakers/xls-215.html
Center - Cerwin Vega XLS-6C - http://www.cerwinvega.com/home-audio/center-channel-speaker/xls-6c.html
Rear surrounds - Some old speakers my dad purchased from Costco 5+ years ago
Subwoofers - Dual RW-12Ds -> PSA XV30F -> Dual PSA Triaxes - http://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/triax

AVR - Pioneer VXS-1122-K - http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/VSX-1122-K

I have the 2 15" woofers in the XLS-215s disabled since from doing my own research and asking at a local music store the AVR I have can't properly drive them. So just the mid-range and tweeter are being utilized so far. I've thought about buying a separate amp to power the woofers in the XLS-215s but I figure if I'm going to spend $300-400 on an amp just for the fronts I might as well just sell them off and go DIY.

I've been reading about the SEOS waveguide stuff (at least what I could understand) and it sounds like that would be a good option for me. I'm not a huge audiophile guy like most of you and I don't understand all that technical stuff you talk about but I get the sense that Cerwin Vega isn't really regarded much around here (dove head first into home theater around a year ago and didn't know any better).

So I'm thinking of the Fusion-15 Sentinel or Fusion-12 Tempest as the front left/right combo. Not sure about what I would go with as surrounds, maybe the Fusion-10 Pure or should I just stick with the Tempest?

Current 'home theater' is in the living room with the TV in a corner and not the best setup by any means. Eventually though everything will most likely end up in a dedicated room so I'd rather improve the setup now when I have the time/money then wait and not be able to do it later on.

I'd like to also eventually go with 7.2 once moved into the dedicated room as it just isn't possible with in the current room right now. Most movies watched are action and most music is EDM (electronic dance music) although my dad will also usually play his stuff (smooth jazz, classic rock, etc).

From my limited understanding the VSX-1122-K should be enough to power whatever configuration I decide to setup. Is this correct or would I want to look into providing power through an external amp? I wouldn't mind having to use an external amp, just trying to get things figured out and make a plan.

My dad has all the stuff to build everything but I'm thinking I'd just buy the whole setup including the flatpack from DiySoundGroup since it'd be easier and wouldn't save that much money in the long run.

Sorry for all the questions, if you need anymore information please feel free to ask. You guys seem pretty helpful and I hope you can help guide another 'noob' in the right direction.

Eventually I'd turn this into a build thread and modify the title once I can get things figured out.

Pioneer VSX-1122-K
Cerwin Vega XLS-215 (Front/Left)
Cerwin Vega XLS-6C (Center)
Dual Triaxes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-29-2013, 04:35 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 48
What problem does the Pioneer have with the C-Vs? The C-V's could take more power but you should already have enough to blow yourself out of the room.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-29-2013, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 394
What exactly are your goals? Better clarity/midrange? More SPL? eek.gif

The L/R Cerwin setup you have now looks pretty stout in terms of sheer output and response. Have you spent any time to properly setup, measure, and EQ the room yet?
post #4 of 13 Old 10-29-2013, 05:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Those speakers you have look pretty good to me. I'm not sure why you were told you don't have enough amp to push the 15's, most listening requires very little power, much less than most people think. Your AVR amplifier has more than enough power to drive most anyone out of the room.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-29-2013, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I am all for a DYI project, but you have extremely capable mains already. Enable the 15"s. Your AVR will power them just fine. If you want more output, that can easily be addressed with more power. I would keep rocking the CV's.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-29-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Let me guess, someone said large woofers need more power, and your AVR doesn't have enough, that you'll need a 75lbs iron vintage amp to properly push those huge cones. tongue.gif
post #7 of 13 Old 10-29-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1531
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarretc View Post

I have the 2 15" woofers in the XLS-215s disabled since from doing my own research and asking at a local music store the AVR I have can't properly drive them. .
Reason enough not to ask their advice again, as without a clue they be. rolleyes.gif
Gorilla83 likes this.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-29-2013, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobeer4don View Post

What problem does the Pioneer have with the C-Vs? The C-V's could take more power but you should already have enough to blow yourself out of the room.

As I mentioned I was told that they wouldn't be enough and my limited knowledge/research led me to believe that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

What exactly are your goals? Better clarity/midrange? More SPL? eek.gif

The L/R Cerwin setup you have now looks pretty stout in terms of sheer output and response. Have you spent any time to properly setup, measure, and EQ the room yet?

I was just thinking more futureproof design in terms of having a 7.2 system ready. I've tried messing around with REW on my mid 2012 Macbook Pro but couldn't get it working properly so I'll most likely mess around with it on a Win 7 laptop I have laying around and see what I come up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanJ View Post

Those speakers you have look pretty good to me. I'm not sure why you were told you don't have enough amp to push the 15's, most listening requires very little power, much less than most people think. Your AVR amplifier has more than enough power to drive most anyone out of the room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filtor1 View Post

I am all for a DYI project, but you have extremely capable mains already. Enable the 15"s. Your AVR will power them just fine. If you want more output, that can easily be addressed with more power. I would keep rocking the CV's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

Let me guess, someone said large woofers need more power, and your AVR doesn't have enough, that you'll need a 75lbs iron vintage amp to properly push those huge cones. tongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Reason enough not to ask their advice again, as without a clue they be. rolleyes.gif

NathanJ, filtor1, tuxedocivic, Bill - Thanks guys, I honestly had posted about powering the mains with an external amp awhile back in the AVR section but never got a response so that lead me to do my own research with my limited knowledge and to ask the local music store (wasn't sure the guy was correct after he told me what he did but we have to make mistakes to learn from them)

I'll go ahead and hook the woofers back up to the AVR and go from there smile.gif

Pioneer VSX-1122-K
Dual Triaxes
post #9 of 13 Old 10-29-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1531
Quote:

I honestly had posted about powering the mains with an external amp awhile back in the AVR section but never got a response so that lead me to do my own research with my limited knowledge and to ask the local music store (wasn't sure the guy was correct after he told me what he did but we have to make mistakes to learn from them)
He was correct only in that your AVR won't push them to full output. I doubt that's an issue other than in pro-sound usage.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-30-2013, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
jarretc, have you hooked everything back up and fired them up?
post #11 of 13 Old 10-30-2013, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

I fired up REW for the first time and ran some before/after tests with the tower woofers active.

Have yet to watch any movies though, still waiting on my dual Triax subs to get here. Will have to do more listening over the next few days to see if it makes a difference.

Pioneer VSX-1122-K
Dual Triaxes
post #12 of 13 Old 10-31-2013, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:

I fired up REW for the first time and ran some before/after tests with the tower woofers active.

Have yet to watch any movies though, still waiting on my dual Triax subs to get here. Will have to do more listening over the next few days to see if it makes a difference.

Now you're headed in the right direction. Now that you've got the ability to measure, try experimenting with placement if you've got the room. Move them in/out of the corners, toe in/out, and closer/further from the wall. Do you have any means of EQ for the mains?
post #13 of 13 Old 10-31-2013, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Crank up some music in good ol' stereo. It isn't illegal and the C-Vs will do just fine. wink.gif

"Eviction-notice performance" or something like that. wink.gif
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page