Old 10-31-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxonator View Post

Well diy is looking better and better. So lets say I went with a sealed dayton 15" in a ~4.5 cubic foot sealed box with the 300 watt amp. How low should I expect this setup to go? The two brand name subs can reach down to 18hz.

email ist and see if Mark still has any 15s. the ixl 15 is a great sub, well made and local.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxonator View Post

Well diy is looking better and better. So lets say I went with a sealed dayton 15" in a ~4.5 cubic foot sealed box with the 300 watt amp. How low should I expect this setup to go? The two brand name subs can reach down to 18hz.

I wouldn't get too caught up in the rated spec's on those 'brand name' subs. Real world performance is all that matters. A 15" Dayton driver can definitely reach down to below 18hz but it will depend on what type of build you do. I think you might want to go with a 500w bash amp that comes with the parametric EQ. I used the same amp in a 3.25cft sealed 12" and was amazed how great it performed. I wish I still had that amp....
Old 11-01-2013, 05:22 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Personally I think you'll be disappointed with a single 15" sealed sub with a 300 watt amp in a 3500 sqft room. A ported sub would perform better in that range if you can only fit one.

Not sure where you are in Canada but if you can stretch your budget a bit this would be a decent option

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649084121-svs_pb12nsd/

Maybe you can talk him down a bit.

Another thought which I think tuxedo mentioned is...

http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=Quartet12XC%20Subwoofer%20Kit

Again, stretches the budget a bit but I think would offer more output than a sealed offering in the same price range.

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ya I was doing some digging. Found the Dayton 460 plus 4 cubic ft box for $323 on pe or even the 15" flat pack . I live by the border so I could pick it up. Any thoughts on those flat pack builds? The 18" would be a little over budget after the amp but not to bad. Another reason I like the flat packs would be because I don't have many tools at the moment and would have to borrow/buy them.

Do you think that ported sub would do better than a larger sealed?

I'm in Sask so the shipping would kill the deal. Doesn't seem like he wants to budge on his price anyways lol!