Swolephile's SI 24" Assemble Yourself Build - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 245 Old 12-16-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Regardless of what the 1khz LE value of the 5400 ultra (My measurements were very close to the factory specs.) it has exemplary inductance management and linearity for a driver using such a large amount of steel in the motor and such voice coil mass. 1khz LE at very low power is basically a worthless parameter for subs to begin with without some other accompanying information. What should really be looked at is the impedance curve the constant voltage frequency response shape and the distortion of the driver.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 245 Old 12-16-2013, 10:30 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

Regardless of what the 1khz LE value of the 5400 ultra (My measurements were very close to the factory specs.) it has exemplary inductance management and linearity for a driver using such a large amount of steel in the motor and such voice coil mass. 1khz LE at very low power is basically a worthless parameter for subs to begin with without some other accompanying information. What should really be looked at is the impedance curve the constant voltage frequency response shape and the distortion of the driver.

Right on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #153 of 245 Old 12-22-2013, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Right on.

I couldn't agree more. cool.gif
post #154 of 245 Old 01-01-2014, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Listening to the subwoofer right now as I type this post. I'm still getting used to listening to one sub which is WAY out of the norm for me. I've run the gambit of music and movies this new year's eve. One thing I can say is this ONE sub easily gets as loud as both of my Chase 18.2 subs.

They would begin to get boomy at 120db and over. This sub just cruised along with peaks of 125db with more to give. It sounds excellent with every genre of music I throw at it. Doesn't matter if I need deep bass for R and B or punchy, quick bass for Daft Punk. It does it all with finesse and power.For movies it creates a sense of dread and heaviness in my entire room. Now my pair of FTW 21's easily gave room crushing bass but it took BOTH of them to create the same sensation I'm feeling with just one SI 24. I am now chomping at the bit to purchase a second SI 24 so I can have a pair once more.

I don't believe in the one super sub for a multiple speaker home theater setup anymore. But I must say this sub puts out the most spl and room crushing bass I've ever experienced from one single sub.It's bass with Battlefield Los Angeles and both of the latest Star Trek movies tonight was simply astonishing. So deep, viciously aggressive, but extremely articulate all in one strike. I can not say enough positive adjectives to describe how pleased I am with this sub. 

It's definitely a high quality sub with a big WOW factor that is worth every cent. It's a master of both the HT realm and the critical ear music realm as well. An audiophile's dream come true blended with the burly, powerful beast every HT enthusiast lusts for. I really, really LOVE this sub. And that says alot coming from me. I've been through many, many subs. And I have a bit of obsessive compulsive disorder so it's in my nature to nitpick things to death so I can find a minute flaw and move on to the next design. I can find no such flaws in this driver.

Not with music, Not with subtle passages, or fast, articulate beats. Not with the dynamic swing of movies such as Tron Legacy nor deep bass marathons such as U-571. This sub has easily dominated every movie and piece of music I've thrown at it with complete ease. The only thing I dream of at this point is what two of these behemoths can do. And I plan to find out soon enough.
Bunga99 likes this.
post #155 of 245 Old 01-01-2014, 03:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #156 of 245 Old 01-01-2014, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Nice write up Swole. I don't recall if you ever posted any graphs?

I'd like to see how it's interacting with your room.

post #157 of 245 Old 01-01-2014, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I sold my computer in order to help fund this purchase so I cant post any graphs right now Popalock. Though I still have my mini dsp which I can use along with REW software at a later time.Gonna get a quadcore Lenovo in a month if things go right.

I should have went with a taller box to get it up to a true 10 cubic ft box. But that will give me a little more room to run a high powered amp without worrying about bottoming the driver so it works out. Also, I intend to have two of these running in a few months so I won't have to push either sub to it's limits. I've also had to cut the sub trim again to -5 just to keep this driver from overtaking the mids in my setup.I am not one to tell anyone to blow their budget for any particular sub. Cause I know was low on money for most of 2013 due to my work situation. But I must admit this sub is by far the best driver I've ever owned. And I don't go around throwing exaggerations like "it crushes my old subs" or any of that nonsense. But what I can say is I've had subs such as the FTW 21 which were HT monsters. Also, I've had extermely articulate large subs such as my Bagend Infrasub 18's, Chase 18.2's, JL Audio Fathom, and Velodyne DD 18. But never have I had a driver which excels with A+ audiophile quality in BOTH realms at the same time. Deep, thunderous bass which gives the holy sensation of a large ported setup along with the subtle articulation for every musical passage necessary. And last, I've never had one sub deliver such high spl peaks on it's own with no strain. I really love this sub. If I was a rich man I would purchase 4 of these subs and never look back. But being that I am a modest man whose budget is constantly divided between audio and weightlifting I will settle for two of these monoliths and be happy with that.These are the WOW subs I've been looking for in a journey of over five years. I can't see myself wanting to upgrade from this driver unless I want more spl with more drivers or I have space . Just need to get one more SI 24 and then a couple of 18's for my rear subs and my 7.4 setup will be complete.
post #158 of 245 Old 01-01-2014, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Tonal balance?

Barring in room acoustical challenges, one can easily maintain "tonal balance" (flat FR) with 1 sub or 20 subs...hence the value of DSP.

post #159 of 245 Old 01-01-2014, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I understand. I was speaking merely in terms of tonal balance with music which comes down to opinion in my mind. Everyone has their own notion of what sounds tonally balanced. Now I know one can get into the science of it via a flat frequency response with eq. I meant to delete that part of my post before I copied and pasted it at this website because I did not want to offend anyone or start a debate.

I will delete it now.
post #160 of 245 Old 01-01-2014, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolephile View Post

I understand. I was speaking merely in terms of tonal balance with music which comes down to opinion in my mind. Everyone has their own notion of what sounds tonally balanced. Now I know one can get into the science of it via a flat frequency response with eq. I meant to delete that part of my post before I copied and pasted it at this website because I did not want to offend anyone or start a debate.

I will delete it now.

Hey man. I am also into the weightlifting/bodybuilding hobby! Are you the same Swolephile from the boards such as Outlaw or any of the others?
niktak11 likes this.
post #161 of 245 Old 01-01-2014, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will delete it now.

Who are you offending? Don't delete anything.

smile.gif

When "I" think tonal balance, I think of using more subs to push my system to achieve reference (or X output) lower and lower in the frequency spectrum.

If all I was looking for was reference at 20Hz without a thought below that, I could do without 14 subs in my specific space.

post #162 of 245 Old 01-01-2014, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Gotcha. Do u still have your Klipsch Rf 7ii speakers. I really, really loved those speakers. Had to sell mine due to hard times when I lost my job during the mortgage meltdown.
post #163 of 245 Old 01-01-2014, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Gotcha. Do u still have your Klipsch Rf 7ii speakers. I really, really loved those speakers. Had to sell mine due to hard times when I lost my job during the mortgage meltdown.

Yes sir... For now and the foreseeable future.

I think the only way I will be able to talk the wife into letting me upgrade is to blow them up...lol

post #164 of 245 Old 01-01-2014, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Agreed. No need to upgrade. They are razor sharp with great clarity for music and very dynamic for HT. I had four and I loved them. That was one of my best setups in terms of sound quality.
post #165 of 245 Old 01-07-2014, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

In response to pms on my build here is my price list for this sub.

26x26x26 box with triple baffle from caraudiofactory.com - $185

Si 24'' 2 ohm driver - $800

Six ft of KnuKonceptz Karma Twisted Cable 8 gauge speaker wire @1.65 per ft at Amazon.com - $9.90

8 gauge Terminal Cup from Parts Express -$5.50

12 gauge Speakon to banana cable -$16

Install at best buy -$20
post #166 of 245 Old 01-07-2014, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

Hey man. I am also into the weightlifting/bodybuilding hobby! Are you the same Swolephile from the boards such as Outlaw or any of the others?

Yes that is me. I love both hobbies immensely but they tend to cannibalize each other's budget throughout the year. For example I have $800 cash right now which would be enough for a second SI 24 but instead I have to use it for a custom power rack being built for me this month.frown.gif
post #167 of 245 Old 01-07-2014, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Pics of 8ga speaker wire from Amazon and 12ga Speakon to Banana cable from ebay.

post #168 of 245 Old 01-13-2014, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

With my sub trim now set at -5, I upped the crossover to 80hz for all of my speakers. I must say the midbass sounds cleaner and more powerful now. I hate to admit the music sounds better at such a high crossover because I could have went with much smaller speakers had I known this driver would be so articulate up to 80hz with better midbass than what my speakers are capable of in this range.
post #169 of 245 Old 01-14-2014, 12:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Glad to know that the mid bass is great smile.gif have you tried even higher crossover i.e. 150Hz? I bought the same 8 AWG wire as per your recommendation wink.gif
post #170 of 245 Old 01-14-2014, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have but the bass becomes localizable at 100hz and above. Also the bass is so powerful that it tends to overpower the midrange at 100hz and above in my opinion. I find 80hz to be the perfect middleground.
post #171 of 245 Old 01-14-2014, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereWolf84 View Post

Glad to know that the mid bass is great smile.gif have you tried even higher crossover i.e. 150Hz? I bought the same 8 AWG wire as per your recommendation wink.gif

8awg is complete overkill, unless you have some pretty ridiculously long runs.

http://www.bcae1.com/wire.htm

Scroll down to the "Resistance in Speaker Wire" calculator. Input your amp power, speaker wire length, etc... to get a good gauge of what you need.

Might save some people money.

biggrin.gif

post #172 of 245 Old 01-14-2014, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Lol. I use it too Pop. I have had a spool of it from car audio days and always use it on subs. I'm at 25' on longest run and 8' on shortest at the moment.
post #173 of 245 Old 01-15-2014, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post

Lol. I use it too Pop. I have had a spool of it from car audio days and always use it on subs. I'm at 25' on longest run and 8' on shortest at the moment.

Dayum, that's heavy duty to have laying around...lol

Yeah, if I had 8 gauge laying around I'd totally use that vs getting something else.

post #174 of 245 Old 01-19-2014, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sub starting to break in even more now. Also, my electrical setup was upgraded to a 20 amp circuit by the building owner. I sold my Monster Pro 3500 power conditioner which I had all my amps plugged into previously. They are now directly plugged into wall outlets. WOW! it appears the power conditioner was choking power to my setup. All of my amps are now louder and more dynamic. Also, the SI 24 is even more prominent and downright intimidating at ALL volume levels. I've never experienced bass like this from one sub. And definitely never got this level of output from any pair of sealed subs.

This sub sounded SUPERB with Rolling Stones Miss You last night. Punchy, quick, aggressive but never lacking refinement. Smooth and shaking down walls at the same time.Pacific Rim was downright scary. Deep, bellowing bass. Room crushing sensation. Heaviness felt in air. Bowels felt girated and jumbled. Ears began to pop. Never had such a terrifying yet AWESOME HT experience! I've put a plan together. SI 24 driver number 2 should be ordered in the first week of February. I just can't help myself. I don't need any more bass. This driver is a 125+db monster on it's own right now. But I want MOAR!eek.gifbiggrin.gif
Bombelman likes this.
post #175 of 245 Old 01-19-2014, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sub starting to break in even more now. Also, my electrical setup was upgraded to a 20 amp circuit by the building owner. I sold my Monster Pro 3500 power conditioner which I had all my amps plugged into previously. They are now directly plugged into wall outlets. WOW! it appears the power conditioner was choking power to my setup. All of my amps are now louder and more dynamic. Also, the SI 24 is even more prominent and downright intimidating at ALL volume levels. I've never experienced bass like this from one sub. And definitely never got this level of output from any pair of sealed subs.

This sub sounded SUPERB with Rolling Stones Miss You last night. Punchy, quick, aggressive but never lacking refinement. Smooth and shaking down walls at the same time.Pacific Rim was downright scary. Deep, bellowing bass. Room crushing sensation. Heaviness felt in air. Bowels felt girated and jumbled. Ears began to pop. Never had such a terrifying yet AWESOME HT experience! I've put a plan together. SI 24 driver number 2 should be ordered in the first week of February. I just can't help myself. I don't need any more bass. This driver is a 125+db monster on it's own right now. But I want MOAR!eek.gifbiggrin.gif
How much power are you feed to your SI24 & what volume were you listened at for the musics & Pacific Rim? biggrin.gif
post #176 of 245 Old 01-19-2014, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Not too bad for a ''not real 10cf box'' as you so eloquently stated in your build thread. Are we friends again? Lol.

I used one channel of Ipr2-7500. All of my neighbors are out for the holiday so I released the BEAST. Sound meter had peak readings of 126DB with music and tapped out at 128db during Pacific Rim.
post #177 of 245 Old 01-19-2014, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Not too bad for a ''not real 10cf box'' as you so eloquently stated in your build thread. Are we friends again? Lol.

I used one channel of Ipr2-7500. All of my neighbors are out for the holiday so I released the BEAST. Sound meter had peak readings of 126DB with music and tapped out at 128db during Pacific Rim.
when your second SI24 driver arriving, you can re-build your sealed box into 10 cf biggrin.gif do you mean one channel of Ipr2-7500 at 2ohm or 4 ohm?
post #178 of 245 Old 01-19-2014, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

One channel of Ipr2-7500 @ 2 ohms.
post #179 of 245 Old 01-19-2014, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

One channel of Ipr2-7500 @ 2 ohms.
Nice, that's close to 4,000W eek.gif have you played the reference bass scene WOTW? biggrin.gif
post #180 of 245 Old 01-19-2014, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yep. Im playing it right now actually.biggrin.gif
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
Yorkville Unity U215 1600w Passive Speaker , Yorkville Unity U15 800w Passive Speaker , Klipsch Sub 12
Gear in this thread - U215 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page