AVS Forum banner
23K views 280 replies 46 participants last post by  Pain Infliction 
#1 ·
Box and driver are now ordered. Box will be double braced with a triple baffle and heavy liner finish. Box comes from www.caraudiofactory.com . I highly suggest anyone looking for a custom sub box use them. Their prices are very reasonable and they do quality work.

I will be adding this sub to a five channel setup consisting of two Yorkville U215s for mains, Yorkville U15 for center, and two Yorkville U15s as rear surrounds. Previous subs I've owned are single Velodyne DD-18, single JL Audio Fathom, two FTW 21, two Chase 18.2, two Chase 18.1, two Klipsch sub 12, two custom dual 15" subs, two Mtx 15" sub, two Cerwin Vega 15" subs, and two Bagend Infrasub 18 subs.

I hope this build comes out well. Ive always purchased my subs in pairs so it feels weird to purchase one at a time. But I do not have room for two of these monsters at the moment. So I will get by with one for now and get a second after my move in April. I also plan to get two to four Si 18s for my rear subs next year.

#130 ·
#131 ·
I got Josh Ricci's driver finished up today. I had it on the test bench for about 45 minutes so it's good-to-go.

I've already got an HS 24" to use in my movie room or I'd snag this one. The driver I have is the very first 24" we ever built with a rough paper cone, rough dust cap, no surround bolt down rings, etc. It doesn't look nearly as good as the drivers do now. The bolted down "gasket" really sets it off.

#132 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrodynamic  /t/1497217/swolephiles-si-24-assemble-yourself-build/120#post_24068345

I got Josh Ricci's driver finished up today. I had it on the test bench for about 45 minutes so it's good-to-go.

I've already got an HS 24" to use in my movie room or I'd snag this one. The driver I have is the very first 24" we ever built with a rough paper cone, rough dust cap, no surround bolt down rings, etc. It doesn't look nearly as good as the drivers do now. The bolted down "gasket" really sets it off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrodynamic  /t/1497217/swolephiles-si-24-assemble-yourself-build/120#post_24061489

Swolephile will be getting an HS 24" to test by Christmas.

Feel free to send another 24 my way if your feeling charitable.

#133 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolephile  /t/1497217/swolephiles-si-24-assemble-yourself-build/120#post_24068402

Feel free to send another 24 my way if your feeling charitable.

I did build two more of these beasts this week. I purchased black bolts for the "gasket" ring and I'll be trying those out on the woofer that is still in the progress of being built. Trying a different look for the front on this one.

#136 ·
Yep. The funny thing is I never dreamed I would be the first guy using this driver at AVS. At the time of its announcement all my overtime hours were cut, I was laid off, and in danger of not having a job altogether. Now things are looking up and I am blessed to have one of these monsters in house already. Very thankful.

Just can't wait to get another one to complete the pair. I see lots of precise, thunderous bass in my near future.

#138 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolephile  /t/1497217/swolephiles-si-24-assemble-yourself-build/120#post_24072909

Yep. The funny thing is never dreamed I would be the first guy using this driver at AVS. At the time of its announcement all my overtime hours were cut, I was laid off, and in danger of not having a job altogether. Now things are looking up and I am blessed to have one of these monsters in house already. Very thankful.

Just can't wait to get another one to complete the pair. I see lots of precise, thunderous bass in my near future.

I wonder if the sound signature is similar to the SI 18's.

#142 ·
What a testimonial, sooner or later people will start to realize how great sounding Nick's woofers really are and forget the micro-analysis of specs. It's a shame there isn't a rule that says you can't post about a speaker unless you've actually heard it.

#143 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16hz lover  /t/1497217/swolephiles-si-24-assemble-yourself-build/120#post_24075605

What a testimonial, sooner or later people will start to realize how great sounding Nick's woofers really are and forget the micro-analysis of specs. It's a shame there isn't a rule that says you can't post about a speaker unless you've actually heard it.

Eh, it's fun to toss things around on the forums.

#144 ·
"Eh, it's fun to toss things around on the forums."

...you mean like if you built a 48 cubic footer tuned to 12hz and hit it with 2000 watts of power that you'd get 120db at 12hz before room gain? :)

spl, model, no inductance or compression effects

excursion not including high pass filter

power with 80hz low pass

#145 ·
^^^ Lol.. I can’t get my calculator to go that hi.
Actually a 45” cube aint that bad, especially in a large room.

#146 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02  /t/1497217/swolephiles-si-24-assemble-yourself-build/120#post_24075838

"Eh, it's fun to toss things around on the forums."

...you mean like if you built a 48 cubic footer tuned to 12hz and hit it with 2000 watts of power that you'd get 120db at 12hz before room gain? :)

spl, model, no inductance or compression effects

excursion not including high pass filter

power with 80hz low pass

Those are pretty good graphs in theory. I mean exactly what you posted. Numbers are fun and it affords you to spend time to attempt to prove points based on anechoic chamber responses.

Someone has built an enclosure to our spec and loves it. Regardless of some people erroenously claiming "high" inductance, etc. If you were to look at Josh Ricci's measurements of other high-stroke woofers you will notice the lack of actual low inductance specifications versus what the real inductance is. Companies tend to lie about the inductance of their speakers to make it look better to the customer. You can vary the inductance value based on the frequency at which the inductance is taken at. The higher the frequency, the lower the Le is. Which is why the TC LMS Ultra has such a low Le on paper from the factory but the Le is significantly higher when measured at 1K Hz by Josh Ricci. Not to mention the the LMS 5400 is limited to ~35mm one-way because of the surround.

#147 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02  /t/1497217/swolephiles-si-24-assemble-yourself-build/120#post_24075838

...you mean like if you built a 48 cubic footer tuned to 12hz and hit it with 2000 watts of power that you'd get 120db at 12hz before room gain?

LTD, I think everyone would agree that you perform an incredibly valuable service around here - particularly when it comes to helpful reminders of the value that can come when one is willing to compromise a bit on cabinet size.

But that doesn't mean you're not also pure evil.

#148 ·
"affords you to spend time to attempt to prove points based on anechoic chamber responses."

not sure it is so much about proving points as it is seeing how various drivers will perform in various enclosures. with respect to inductance, i was simply indicating that it is not part of the model presented. not that it is either good or bad for this driver. btw, winisd models for 2pi space--1/2 a super large anechoic chamber. :)

"Companies tend to lie about the inductance of their speakers to make it look better to the customer. You can vary the inductance value based on the frequency at which the inductance is taken at. The higher the frequency, the lower the Le is. Which is why the TC LMS Ultra has such a low Le on paper from the factory but the Le is significantly higher when measured at 1K Hz by Josh Ricci."

it appears that tc sounds is not the source of the error to which you refer.

the manual states le as 3.4 mh, not 1.96mh. ricci measured 3.83. i'd call that within the realm of different measuring conditions.

http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/manuals/293-666-tc-sounds-lms-ultra-5400-manual-43422.pdf

#150 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02  /t/1497217/swolephiles-si-24-assemble-yourself-build/120#post_24076167

the manual states le as 3.4 mh, not 1.96mh. ricci measured 3.83. i'd call that within the realm of different measuring conditions.

http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/manuals/293-666-tc-sounds-lms-ultra-5400-manual-43422.pdf

So TC Sounds published two different sets of Le parameters for their LMS Ultra? Interesting. Depending on which link you clicked it yielded an Le variance of almost 100%.

#151 ·
Regardless of what the 1khz LE value of the 5400 ultra (My measurements were very close to the factory specs.) it has exemplary inductance management and linearity for a driver using such a large amount of steel in the motor and such voice coil mass. 1khz LE at very low power is basically a worthless parameter for subs to begin with without some other accompanying information. What should really be looked at is the impedance curve the constant voltage frequency response shape and the distortion of the driver.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.