Recommendations for new theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-07-2013, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am selling my house in the next few weeks and will start constructing my next theater in the new house. In preparation, I am looking for some advice/suggestions for new speakers. My current setup is Chase Pro-10's up front, DIY speakers from a Madisound kit (8" seas mids/1" dome tweeter) for surrounds and a SubMersive HP. The Chase Pro-10's have been fine, but I want to upgrade. I have been looking at the Seaton sparks (currently unavailable though), JTR Noesis 228's and the SEOS offerings from diysoundgroup. Size is not really a consideration. The sparks are pricey enough that I would have to space them out over time (same for the JTR's). What should I consider DIY-wise that would compete with those offerings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-07-2013, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Hey Adam,

couple things....what's your budget total?? What kind of space are you trying to fill here and what are your listening habits?? Mostly movies, music, how do you listen?? I am a big supporter of any seos models. The value behind them, if you can diy, is astounding. The JTR and Seaton offerings are great, if you have the bucks.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-07-2013, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Chop, I have been following your mega build. My budget is inbetween the SEOS offerings and the JTR/Seaton stuff; meaning I could propably swing the SEOS stuff in one shot, but would have to space the others out over time. I can be patient if it is worth it. I listen to mostly movies, some music. Usually I am about -5dbs from reference. The space will be approx. 22' x 14.5' x 8' (2552 cu. ft.). It is going in the basement. The biggest problem is that I have to dig out the basement to get from current 6'2" height to 8' height.
post #4 of 10 Old 11-07-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Oh wow, that's quite a project on the dig out! Keep eyes on the prize wink.gif

I think the seos stuff is all great for each units intended purpose, but always hate to give a flat recommendation when preferrences can be so different from person to person. I can tell that I had three Fusion Sentinels for a while in a 20x23 ish room while waiting to move and they were awesome, for the price and beyond. I am building TD15M/seos12 360s now too that all parts considered, including xovers are about $475-$500 a piece. I haven't finished one yet because the seosr project is taking my time, but Matt G design these and the Sentinel and he says these are noticably better....that says a lot to me. There are also some seos12 designs with TD12 and 10" woofs for surrounds, or even one of the smaller existing designs on diysoundgroup.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-07-2013, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam-DiVine View Post

The Chase Pro-10's have been fine, but I want to upgrade.

I had the PRO-10 speakers as a L/C/R behind my AT screen for three years and the upgrade bug set in... I just finished a Fusion-12 Tempest build and I am very happy with the improvement in sound quality. smile.gif
post #6 of 10 Old 11-07-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam-DiVine View Post

The Chase Pro-10's have been fine, but I want to upgrade.

I had the PRO-10 speakers as a L/C/R behind my AT screen for three years and the upgrade bug set in... I just finished a Fusion-12 Tempest build and I am very happy with the improvement in sound quality. smile.gif

Can you be more specific in how its better ? smile.gif
post #7 of 10 Old 11-07-2013, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

Oh wow, that's quite a project on the dig out! Keep eyes on the prize wink.gif

I think the seos stuff is all great for each units intended purpose, but always hate to give a flat recommendation when preferrences can be so different from person to person. I can tell that I had three Fusion Sentinels for a while in a 20x23 ish room while waiting to move and they were awesome, for the price and beyond. I am building TD15M/seos12 360s now too that all parts considered, including xovers are about $475-$500 a piece. I haven't finished one yet because the seosr project is taking my time, but Matt G design these and the Sentinel and he says these are noticably better....that says a lot to me. There are also some seos12 designs with TD12 and 10" woofs for surrounds, or even one of the smaller existing designs on diysoundgroup.

Are you planning on keeping the seosr or going to the TD15M/seos 12/DNA 360s? If I make the upgrade I want it to count. When i went with the SubM, it was the first time I have been satisfied with any piece of equipment. The PRO-10's are good, but frequently I am left wanting more. I'm not sure what it is that I am after, but I am sure I will know it when I hear it biggrin.gif. I am interested in the seos 15's with something like the TD15's. I know that bwaslo has a crossover designed, but I haven't heard anyone who has tried it yet. Hopefully we will see more when the plastic 15's arrive.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-07-2013, 07:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 808
"TD15M/seos 12/DNA 360s"

those are his surrounds.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-08-2013, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

Can you be more specific in how its better ? smile.gif

Sure...http://www.diysoundgroup.com/review/product/list/id/332/category/90/

I am the second review on the page titled "Well done Jeff Bagby!!"
post #10 of 10 Old 11-27-2013, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

How would the SEOS design Tux is finishing up compare to any of the offerings in my original post or to something like Chop mentioned (SEOS 12 with TD15M)? I have also been looking at the JTR Single 8 HT's. There are so (too) many options!!!
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page