AVS Forum banner

Dayton Audio UM18-22 18" Ultimax to be released

134K views 1K replies 152 participants last post by  Droogne 
#1 ·
#1,110 · (Edited)
#1,129 ·
ha ha- yep, I finally got around to watching...I mean FEELING it and it was absolutely ridiculous...even at -10 on the dial.

James

#1,119 · (Edited)
be careful with sensitivity numbers on subs. low end sensitivity tends to depend more on the cab than the spec and there are even some cases where the lower spec sensitivity sub can have *higher* lowend sensitivity because of the low natural resonance of the driver.

the um18 probably has around 27 or so xmax, so the uxl would appear to have more potential at 34mm xmax. in a ported cab of 10 c.f. tuned around 16hz, 2000 watts takes it to 29mm. I'm not sure that you'd want to run more power than that on the uxl, so it may actually be power limited. burps/bursts and all the rest of it not withstanding.

#1,125 ·
A UM18-22 can take the full output of a single channel of the iNuke DSP 6000 for typical home theater use - for whatever that's worth - should be at least 1,800 watts. I've driven my iNuke DSP 6000 amps to my UM18-22's to the max quite a few times with no ill effect. My boxes are 21" cubes (sealed). Likewise a single UM18-22 is powered by a bridged iNuke DSP 3000 in my room and works fine.
I used to run two drivers per channel, but impedance issues were troublesome when I turned it up for show off volumes. Now I just run one sub per channel.

#1,126 ·
FWIW...
Over a year ago I did compression tests between the SI18 vs FTW21 to see what I'd get as results.
Don't forget I own both...

Conclusion:
There's no 3DB difference between the FTW21 and SI18...in fact the SI18's performed extremely well against to the FTW21's.
And this is with almost HALF the power being sent to the SI18's :eek:

Graph:
Red 2x FTW21's one per corner 2100Watts per sub
Blue 2x SI18's one per corner on top of the 21's 1250Watts per sub.
Mic starting clipping @117DB
Results: (Forget about the green graph)

#1,128 ·
So cheating out and using the 4cube PE cab on these is just leaving too much on the table, heh?

James

#1,131 ·
Unless I am ill-informed, it is best to always try to use both coils in a dual voice coil sub for greater power handling/heat dispersion??? So if that's the case, if I'm going to put two of these in a cab I'm pretty much limited to a 2 or 8 ohm impedance, total per cab, correct?

Thanks
James

#1,134 ·
Reading comprehension fail on my part. :) Correct.

What amp are you going to use? You could run both channels of an NU6000 to that one box. Can't bridge that amp, so you'd have to use a four-conductor cable, and wouldn't need to wire the UM18s to each other, just to a four-pole speakon connector.

#1,135 ·
It's alright. :)

I have a Crown XTI 4002. Even though I've ran it fine with 1600W'sx2 @ 2 OHMS I would prolly just get a second and run one bridged (2400W's) for each 8 ohm cab.

I considered upping to a 6002 with 3,000 x 2 @ 2 ohms but the above just strikes me as a better idea: certainly an easier load to push and a pretty-much negligible 600 watt difference at these output levels.

James

#1,136 ·
#1,138 ·
Just figured I'd chime in.

I built mine over the weekend, using the Parts Express flat pack. Absolutely amazing sub for sure. Thing takes quite a bit to get it moving, but once you reach that point it goes nuts. Still working on getting it set up exactly how I want it, but so far I couldn't be happier.

#1,143 ·
Generic results: A db or two more at the low end and a db or two less at the high end

It is not very likely worth the swap for you. At least wait until Josh Ricci of Databass.com tests the UM18-22. It is in the short queue now. He has already tested the 18HO --- so you'll have some direct apples to apples comparison numbers in the same box, with the same amp, and some high end measuring equipment to make sure the comparison is valid.

#1,144 ·
I'm considering using the UM18 in a downward firing position in a sealed PE 4cu box.

My concerns:

Potential speaker sag
Vibration of the box so that perhaps a lamp wont sit on top
The 1 inch high rubber feet will not lift the box very high off the floor and maybe that short distance adds pressure resistance to the speaker. (not sure there is any validity to this, but I saw it mentioned on a forum)

Anyone see a problem?

TY
Mark

#1,146 ·
Yeah, you'd want legs that are around 3" tall. It can be as simple as cutting chunks from a dowel or 2x2. Just be sure to firmly screw/bolt them through the baffle.

Never built a down-firing sub, but I have seen a few guys doing end-table subs with a slab of marble or granite as the table top; I'm not sure if the extra weight is necessary, but it sure doesn't hurt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.