Yet another Tempest build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 11-17-2013, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I ordered the Tempest kits last day from Erich and thought I'd make a record of the build on the forum with whatever pictures I can post. It cost me a small fortune to ship the package half way round the world to India. Went for it because from what I've read on the forum I'm kind of positive it's going to be worth it.

I've been reading quite a bit on the SEOS speakers for the past few months on AVS forum and was really inspired by the build threads and testimonies of the owners. I initially thought I'd go for the SEOS 15 with AE drivers but decided not to, primarily since the landed cost of one of those woofers would amount to $600 and having to buy the different components from different sources. And I've never heard a horn loaded speaker so I decided to opt for the Tempest kit first and maybe upgrade later with the AE drivers in a 15" SEOS design if and when they are offered as a full kit.

Received the package a few days back from DHL. Erich has an excellent reputation for impeccable packing. So I'm guessing the shipper or customs, must have opened the package to verify contents coz everything inside was all tossed and turned. The 12" driver packing got torn on the top side probably during transit or at the customs office while inspecting the contents. Anyways when I received the package the compression driver, which had fallen out of its packing, dropped through the tear in the woofer packing and was resting on top of the 12" driver cone area and there was this "dent" on the paper cone. It is not torn.

Will this affect the driver performance in any way? If it will, I need to file a claim with the shipper DHL since I had taken out an insurance on the shipment.

Need to start work on the XO. I have the schematics but it would help if I had a pic of the components laid out. Would appreciate if any tempest owners could pm the pics. I'm getting the cabinet done at a friend's carpentry unit so don't know how many detailed pics I'll get on the build. Plan to use the regular window design braces and use roofing felt as dampening material. As for finish I'm still not decided between full painted or front baffle black paint and rest teak veneered. Will post pics as and when possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-17-2013, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Those creases in the cone severely weaken it, I am sure it will no longer perform as it should. This is one of the packages I helped Erich with and there is no way that damage could have occurred without the box being opened and improperly repacked.
post #3 of 20 Old 11-17-2013, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
^^^
You have insurance. File the claim.
post #4 of 20 Old 11-17-2013, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Matt . Even I'm positive they've opened the package either at the shippers warehouse or customs centre and not repacked it properly. The customs check here is a hit or miss. Unfortunately for me this time was a miss.

If the damage would not affect the driver I thought I'd just go ahead with it since it is going to take some time and effort to file the claim and get a refund. Now that I know, I'm going to file the claim. Waiting for a document from Erich to proceed further. I'm going ahead with the build though. Will install the second woofer when it arrives.
post #5 of 20 Old 11-17-2013, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Right from the diy website
3ame2ure.jpg
That's crappy about the driver eek.gif
gijogeo likes this.
post #6 of 20 Old 11-18-2013, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 401
The pictures you sent showing the top of the Delta Pro box was pretty rough. eek.gif Someone definitely opened that package and obviously couldn't get things to fit back in properly. Honestly, it can only go in one way to make everything fit.

MTG90 helped package up your kits, and when you sent the first photos we actually got an empty Delta box out to see how strong they are. For that compression driver to actually tear through that woofer box and damage the cone, they would almost need to jump on that box. But the waveguides didn't break, which are taller. My guess is that they couldn't package it back up, so they sat the CD in the box and stepped on just that part to push it down flat enough to tape it all back up.
post #7 of 20 Old 11-19-2013, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah that should be the reason Erich. I've filed the claim and waiting to hear from them. Got my fingers crossed. Hoping to start work on the XO today.
post #8 of 20 Old 11-19-2013, 05:53 PM

Liked: 10
International shipping is a crapshoot especially with speakers. It’s a bummer the driver was damaged. I guess the silver lining is everything else shipped fine. Being in India you have a variety of wood to choose from. What type of material are you using for your cabinets?
post #9 of 20 Old 11-20-2013, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

For the cabinet I'm sticking with 19mm MDF. For the finish the plan is to go for a ply backed Burma teak veneer . Paper backed veneer is hard to come by in small quantities here and even fewer experts who know to work with those. The ply backed veneer is about 4 mm thick and looks something like this.
The above requires two more oats of polish so will have a bit more sheen when completed.
post #10 of 20 Old 11-20-2013, 08:02 PM

Liked: 10
I was going to guess teak, very nice.
post #11 of 20 Old 11-21-2013, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Started work on the crossover. For the board used a 10mm plywood piece of 6.5" X 9". The components laid out.

Both the crossover boards bolted together and cable tie holes drilled. I was initially going to wire the components below the board but decided against it as I find over the board more convenient. And that landed me with all the extra holes on the board.

The components wired and one crossover completed.

Will complete the pair tomorrow.
post #12 of 20 Old 05-23-2014, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

Finally managed to complete the speakers. The interiors of my new apartment was completed just a month back and got around to assembling the tempests only after that. A few pics of the build. Assembling a sealed 12" Ultimax sub along with this build.

Cabinets all brad nailed and glued.

Two coats of putty. Did the mistake of heating the bitumen sheets while sticking on the inside panels under the impression they would stick better. Learned you don't need to do that since the adhesive on the sheet is good enough. You see the sheets half fallen off from the top.

Two coats of automotive matt black paint.

Crossover and CD in place. Crossover attached on the back panel using two 1 1/4" screws. The thickness of the XO board where the screws are is 3/4" thick.

Decided to solder the wires from the XO to the terminal.

One speaker completed and next to my current set up of N2X from GR Research

Both speakers up and running.

I've ordered for a pair of stands for these and they should be ready in the next few days time.
post #13 of 20 Old 05-23-2014, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Great job!
post #14 of 20 Old 05-23-2014, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Look really good! How does it sound with that center channel?

"In nature there are neither rewards nor punishments; there are consequences."Robert Green Ingersoll

Noman74656's Martycube Builds
My Theater
post #15 of 20 Old 05-24-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 248

I don't think those bitumen sheets do anything for internal reflections. You want to use some kind of insulation.

post #16 of 20 Old 05-25-2014, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noman74656 View Post

Look really good! How does it sound with that center channel?

Thank you. From the little I've heard till now they sound pretty good to me. But I've had to increase the level on the center by 3db to keep up with the tempests. As much as I would like, I can't accommodate another tempest as center with the present AV cabinet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

I don't think those bitumen sheets do anything for internal reflections. You want to use some kind of insulation.

The bitumen sheets were added as cabinet damping for decreasing resonance. Don't have any pictures of it but I've added a good amount of polyfill as well. The bitumen sheets were recommended for an earlier project by Danny Ritchie for lack of a better material. Do you think something like http://diyaudiocart.com/acoustic-damping-materials/Damping-Woolen-Felt-12mm this would be better suited to control internal reflections?
post #17 of 20 Old 05-25-2014, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

This center channel works well with the tempests.
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits/fusion8-mtm-kit.html
Will fit under screen.
post #18 of 20 Old 05-25-2014, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by gijogeo View Post

The bitumen sheets were added as cabinet damping for decreasing resonance. Don't have any pictures of it but I've added a good amount of polyfill as well. The bitumen sheets were recommended for an earlier project by Danny Ritchie for lack of a better material. Do you think something like http://diyaudiocart.com/acoustic-damping-materials/Damping-Woolen-Felt-12mm this would be better suited to control internal reflections?

Polyfill is fine, the walls should be lined with it not stuffed.

post #19 of 20 Old 05-25-2014, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

This center channel works well with the tempests.
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits/fusion8-mtm-kit.html
Will fit under screen.

the Quad 4 also works well
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits/fusion4-kit.html
post #20 of 20 Old 05-25-2014, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Yup and you save some cash.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs