Two more sealed subs - need driver recommendations - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 11-25-2013, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am adding two more subs to the system. I want to make them similar to the two existing subs. These are approximately 3 cu ft and sealed. One has a Tumult II and one has an AV 15. They are my fraternal twins. My plan is to power the four with two QSC 3602s.

34qpxr5.jpg
bi6m2c.jpg

I believe the addition of two more will move enough air that I will finally be satisfied.

For the new ones, I am looking for the best bang for the buck deal on 15 in drivers for a 3 cu ft sealed box. What are the current favorites in the reasonably priced driver category?

http://stereointegrity.com/index.php?id=60
TD15S
http://www.aespeakers.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2380
Dayton audio
http://www.parts-express.com/cat/subwoofers/14?kg=497|3925

When I built these, a 15 inch driver was serious bass. And two subs were impressive. Now you guys are way into overkill. Very impressive.

Your thoughts and recommendations.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-25-2013, 08:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 1017
when I look at your speakers, I can't help but get infinity irs vibes.

so why not build some towers like that loaded with infinity drivers?

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Reference-1262w-1200-Watt-High-Performance/dp/B0028AYIXK

eek.gif

Listen. It's All Good.
post #3 of 18 Old 11-26-2013, 02:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Go with two more Dayton HO15's, or better yet, two more Dayton HO18's each in a 4cuft sealed enclosure. The 18's would be best, but those HO15's are still pretty good in their own right!
post #4 of 18 Old 11-26-2013, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The Kappas are imposing speakers. I have never heard them. My Maggies to me are some of the best bang for the bucks speakers available for music. The main reason for building the sealed subs I have now. I have heard other line array speakers and wanted to build some of the GR Research line arrays around the time I bought the Maggies.

The Daytons are certainly an option, but wondered if there are any current favorites that my be a better choice.

I am committed to 3 cubic foot enclosures. I have even started the grand mess of cutting MDF. The only way to do that is to move the saw outside and make sawdust.

faodqq.jpg

Mark
post #5 of 18 Old 11-27-2013, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Nothing makes me happier than reading about Tumults that are alive and kicking. Maggies and planars in general are so damn music cool ! I remember hearing Maggies for the first time as a young 18yr old, it was a secondhand store in Roch and the guy was listening to a Barbara Streisand tune. It was like she was floating in mid air. Now back then i was listening to Scorpions and VH ect..... I grew up that day... The store was full of vintage gear back in 1980 and i was into car audio, i turned the corner and never went back.

Good luck with the build , and thanx for letting me Crash in and revisit my youth:)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Multi sub Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
< Garage Audio !!!
post #6 of 18 Old 11-27-2013, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Glad you have fond memories. Heck, back in 1980 I was just starting out and built my first set of DIY speakers. Could not afford much back then. I borrowed tools and built some big boxes and partied through the 80s with those monsters. Iron on veneer. Ahh, the good old days...

Mark
post #7 of 18 Old 11-27-2013, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Wait until you start routing the MDF, talk about a mess, ugh. Way worse than plywood saw dust:eek:

post #8 of 18 Old 11-28-2013, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

How are you measuring their response ? Can we have a pic of the seating position. The response should dictate how you move forward. If the location where they are now is suitable and it if fairly flat, then it may be as simple as colocating another set up front. If the output is skewed and filled with nulls, then adding a pair out back to fill in the holes may be what you need....

My feeling on bass response is, a nice somewhat flat response with lower output is better than a higher output with nulls...... So lets get some measurements and see where you are

<Multi sub Thread

< Garage Audio !!!
post #9 of 18 Old 11-29-2013, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

KG,

I do have some response curves with different combinations. As a matter of fact, I have done lots of REW measurements over the years.

I have nulls at 35 and 72 from the room as you can see in the pic. And that is with the subs located in different places in the room. I recall from the Harmon paper about subs along all 4 walls was the best for response. But I cannot do that, kinda like not being able to do an IB. But the front wall is the most convenient location. And seems to work well with the Maggies.

I know the response at 10 Hz is insanely high, but I have tested with two types of Rat Shack meters and both give high responses down low. Maybe Bosso would be happy with the ULF in my room. Heck, at 10 Hz there really is no sound, only things moving in the room.smile.gif

Mark
post #10 of 18 Old 11-29-2013, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 358
A couple of other potential options are from companies who general don't get mentioned very often, such as Pierce Audio, Acoustic Elegance and Credence. They might be worth looking into as well.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #11 of 18 Old 11-29-2013, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Jim,

I have done business with John at AE. Always an interesting experience with them. The SPB15 is an option.

Mark
post #12 of 18 Old 11-30-2013, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Your response can be fixed quite easy. The peak around 26hz can be tamed with eq. The null can be filled in easily at the LP with another sub in a different location. That sub needs to be as capable as your mains. It will be lowpassed and hipassed to fill in the nulls width at the LP. I would leave the 10hz alone, thanks for cabin gain.....

I'm not sure my solution would give you more headroom though. It would only flatten out what you already have.....

<Multi sub Thread

< Garage Audio !!!
post #13 of 18 Old 12-01-2013, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

When I use the BFD, I get a much smoother curve. But the suck outs at 35 and 70 are still there. I can work on room placement, but like many, I limited location options in the room unless I completely redo the room and that is not happening anytime soon.

Headroom is what I need, Or at least lower the strain on the existing subs. I rarely listen at reference levels, but did trash one driver recently after I added the QSC amp.

I am looking for drivers to pair with another QSC amp and want to get ones that are manufactured in the US. The leading candidate now is The Dayton Audio Titanic. AE wants 3-4 weeks to build new SPB 15s. Any recommendations for drivers?

Mark
post #14 of 18 Old 12-06-2013, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Still looking for recommendations on 15 inch drivers. Especially bang for the buck options. I realize this forum is about excess, but I think I can be satisfied with just 4 subs.

Recommendations appreciated...

Mark
post #15 of 18 Old 12-06-2013, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacket_fan View Post

Still looking for recommendations on 15 inch drivers. Especially bang for the buck options. I realize this forum is about excess, but I think I can be satisfied with just 4 subs.

Recommendations appreciated...
I'm loving my si18 so a si15 would.be good.
post #16 of 18 Old 12-07-2013, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Go with the Dayton UM15, Titanic-15, HF15 or even the HO15. Those are the bang for trout buck best 15's, in my opinion. They would all work well in a 3cuft sealed enclosure and work just fine with that amp. My best advise is that if you build two more sealed subs, and being that you already have two existing sealed subs, would be to purchase an EQ devise, such as the MiniDsp 2 by 4 balanced with advanced plug in so that you can boost the low end.
post #17 of 18 Old 12-07-2013, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

Go with the Dayton ...HF15 or even the HO15...would all work well in a 3cuft sealed enclosure .
The HO has too low a Qes/Qts to work well sealed. The HF is better.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #18 of 18 Old 12-09-2013, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the info gentlemen. Right now the Dayton Titanic and HF 15 are the leading candidates since they are available now. The SI are interesting, especially the new drivers in work. Another thread showed an impressive excursion video. Likely too expensive for my project right now. But likely to reach the ultra low frequencies. Impressive drivers. Maybe SI will offer an incredible deal to kick them off.

I am planning to spend too much for a US manufactured amp for these subs. So need to try and stick with some reasonably priced drivers.

Marty, I have a BFD for equalization and a BASSIS to boost the low end (if I still need it).

Mark
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page