post #181 of 184 Old 01-17-2014, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudej1 View Post

The K1133 is a 2" driver designed FOR the horn and vice versa. The horn Fc is 240 Hz. so crossing at 320 is no sweat for that huge, rugged driver. I really needed to get to 300 Hz., not 400. Besides, it was a very rare steal deal, since Klipsch doesn't sell the horns without a newer, cheaper, driver and they are $2,000 a pair that way. The vocals coming from the K402 have been described by fellow Klipscheads as "spooky real." The DE-250 tweeter driver is used by Danley in his Flagship SH-50 as well as be Geddes in his Summa. Nuff said.

I'm still working on the bass horn. But how is my setup complicated? It's just a 3-way with DTS-10 super subs. Aren't most Direct Radiator tower speakers and other horn systems 3-way?

Ok, so maybe it's not complicated, it just seamed that way when you were describing it! I have always been interested in the K-402. The fact that it can hold pattern down below 300hz is freaking amazing! I wonder how the 2" K-1133 compression driver would compare to the Radian 950PB? The Radian is widely known for being one of the very best 2" compression drivers out there. The Radian also has the option of using a Be diaphragm which is something I have been dreaming about for a while!

Maybe I missed this part, but what horn are you using with the DE-250 high frequency drivers? Also, I am still curious as to how the Seos-24 would compare to the K-402? It is my understanding that the K-402 will extend lower and hold its pattern down lower then the Seos-24, right? The combo of the Radian 950PB and the Seos-24 is around $650, for a total of $1,300.00 per pair, compared to the $2,000.00+ for a pair of K-402's + the K-1133 compression drivers.

You have a wonderful setup, and I hope that I am not coming off as being too critical, I just like to hear about other folks experiences. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 184 Old 01-27-2014, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

Ok, so maybe it's not complicated, it just seamed that way when you were describing it! I have always been interested in the K-402. The fact that it can hold pattern down below 300hz is freaking amazing! I wonder how the 2" K-1133 compression driver would compare to the Radian 950PB? The Radian is widely known for being one of the very best 2" compression drivers out there. The Radian also has the option of using a Be diaphragm which is something I have been dreaming about for a while!

Maybe I missed this part, but what horn are you using with the DE-250 high frequency drivers? Also, I am still curious as to how the Seos-24 would compare to the K-402? It is my understanding that the K-402 will extend lower and hold its pattern down lower then the Seos-24, right? The combo of the Radian 950PB and the Seos-24 is around $650, for a total of $1,300.00 per pair, compared to the $2,000.00+ for a pair of K-402's + the K-1133 compression drivers.

You have a wonderful setup, and I hope that I am not coming off as being too critical, I just like to hear about other folks experiences. smile.gif

You don't seem critical at all, just curious. I've been wondering about the Radians with Berylium phrams also. BUT I'm a believer in 3-way, since 2-way with a 402 needs HF Shelving PEQ to get to 18Khz.and phase plug design dictates a choice between 300 or 600 Hz. at the low end, or a respective 5Khz. or 18 Khz. it the High end. I don't want to give up the low end and the Klipsch (made in Hope) K1133 is a beast designed to ram thought screens at a large theaters, so my measly little 20 milliwatts never stresses it out. LOL.

Also, Klipsch now uses the K402 as a Midbass horn with an 8" paper cone driver that gets it to 150 Hz. but that is for huge theater venues. The K402 is also smoother than the JBL 2360, as tested with the JBL 2446J drivers, which I sold off.

After living with Khorns and a LaScala for over 30 years, I decided to start upgrading, which culminated in the big MWM woofers and lots of different horn/driver combos. See my MWM stack in the Avatar. After I acheived the better sound, my goal was to lower the stack AND improve the sound. After hearing the 402, I was convinced I didn't need the amazing but HUGE Peavey MB-1 midbass horn anymore, IF I could get bass horn to get from 60-400 Hz. without PEQ, which my FH-1 bins need to work right. I'm using EVM 15L recones as recommended by Dr. Bruce Edgar. Every horn I've modeled with those woofers has a better high end response to bridge the upper bass, lower midrange gap left by the absence of the MB-1.

I'm getting another pair of EVM 15L's in a few days and hope the have the new bass horns up and running by the weekend, along with Mini DSP's to play Xover/PEW/delays with. Should be fun. And it's cool to design and build your own unique bass horn. Will post measurements when I have them in another thread.
In short, the micro detail, transients, and ambience recovery I get from K402's is spooky real and I'm very happy with them. I'm done with the top end. Now I want to conquer everything below 300 Hz.!!
Joe, just so I'm not totally hijacking your thread, I'm thinking of building two Lowarhorns. LOL.
post #183 of 184 Old 01-28-2014, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudej1 View Post

Joe, just so I'm not totally hijacking your thread, I'm thinking of building two Lowarhorns. LOL.

Awesome man! I hope you do, you won't be sorry!

post #184 of 184 Old 07-01-2014, 06:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 592
This thread is full of win...

Going to take me a while to get through it though.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page