6th order band pass sub for 4 x RE XXX 18's IB sub tunned to 5hz or lower. - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 33 Old 12-15-2013, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX48 View Post

I'm not sure where everyone is crossing them but I go that low because I have a nearfield sub from 30-80 for those frequencies. I probably have them crossed at 30 or 35, I would have to check.

I really need to do some serious testing with mine and get it just right. Every time I think I am going to do that I change something In the theater. Building a new baffle wall right now, if I had known what a job it was going to be I might have rethought it.
Yeah, I ended up having my baffle wall proffesionally built. I used steel 'H' beams to keep it as rigid as possible. The amount of force on those walls with the drivers I am using is just not to be played with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXRDork View Post

I'll be interested to hear what you think. I'm contemplating going the same direction to get more tactile but have not jumped in to experiment yet.

I will certainly post up my impressions, although I already have the couch shake violently even though I am on a concrete floor , this may add to the experience for sure.

My build thread

My 8 x RE XXX 18" Subwoofers, IB build
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Do you know what Nemesis means?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 Old 12-18-2013, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 285
I'm bringing this one back (for those that remember it), here is the only test track worthy of this thread!!!
(1-10hz content) -> https://archive.org/details/LaunchOfSpaceShuttleEndavourOnMissionSts-123

Here's my attempt at it: biggrin.gif (No replacement for the original sound file, but fun none the less.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave View Post

What!!! You turned your $2000 door into a baffle? Are my eyes seeing what they are seeing? eek.gif

I wouldn't discount the rotary woofer so quickly. The electronics they sell to make it work, are flat to DC. Only 115db? Are our subs these days displacing as much air as a fan can? eek.gif

In any case, this is what Dave is starting with (as I understand). Non-Max SPL, what is MAX SPL then? eek.gif

This is lowest I can do... thus far. -3db @ 5hz and roughly 6db hot at 2hz. (Note: All my amps rolloff at 6hz, I'm working on it!)

Also, one should consider Ricci's previous advise. There is an element of danger involved with this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

I have broken a XXX by giving it roughly 4000w below tuning in a ported enclosure. It was on accident during testing. Messed up with my EQ settings in the DCX trying to "make" a below 12Hz HPF. Anyway I have never been able to get the former to hit the back stop on one. What will happen is the triple joint on the bottom spider will contact the top plate at around 60-62mm on the inward stroke. What will happen is you will break loose the spiders from the glue on the former. Anyway these will take an incredible beating and will give ample warning noise before you break something. You really have to try to break one or just be an idiot. See the attached pics. Recones are about $170 if you do manage to somehow break one.

post #33 of 33 Old 12-20-2013, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 98
How about a huge folded horn? And I am not talking your normal huge horn , I am talking a 'Jäger ' size horn!

My build thread

My 8 x RE XXX 18" Subwoofers, IB build
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Do you know what Nemesis means?

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page