6th order band pass sub for 4 x RE XXX 18's IB sub tunned to 5hz or lower. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 12-04-2013, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 98
OK, starting a new thread fueled from the discussion in Notnyt's thread. LTD02 kindly offered to take a stab at designing a 6th order band pass sub. I am looking for full output right down to at least 5hz or lower if I can.

So LTD02, what do you need to get this started? I have a storage area in the back of my theater which my second IB is installed, it is about 1,200 cubic feet.

This is a pic of the size of the opening.

So let the fun begin!

My build thread

My 8 x RE XXX 18" Subwoofers, IB build
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Do you know what Nemesis means?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 12-04-2013, 08:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 808
iirc, there are a couple different versions of that driver with slightly different t/s specs? do you know the t/s for what you've got?

Listen. It's All Good.
post #3 of 33 Old 12-04-2013, 09:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

just looking at some initial models, i'm not sure a 6th order bandpass is going to make you very happy.

for the upper tuned port to contribute much, it has to be fairly close to the lower tune and then spl rolls off quickly above whatever point is chosen. doubling the frequency is still reasonably close and in beast's build that was about 12hz lower / 25hz upper. here it would be ~5hz lower and about 10hz upper, so rolloff would start there and go down. seems like too much wasted bass to me.

however, just a big ole standard ported will pick up about 12db or so around the tuning frequency and that is significant with no loss in spl above the tuning frequency. so maybe that is the best option...at least so far. 12db is more or less the same as four times the drivers and four times the power.

very rough draft, first pass look.

in order to keep port velocity down with 3 drivers, a rather large port may be required. this may be the first build that uses full size sonotube for the port. eek.gif

but at these frequencies, and at this scale, i'm also not sure which room is actually being ported. that is actually something that i never thought about...if the rear and the front room are both the same size, does the port somehow get another 6db or something from both rooms resonating at the same frequency?

in any case, here are some max spl plots for 3 xxx sealed, ported at couple different frequencies, and 6th order.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #4 of 33 Old 12-04-2013, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

iirc, there are a couple different versions of that driver with slightly different t/s specs? do you know the t/s for what you've got?
I have this one I believe.

http://reaudio.com/products/woofers_xxx.php

BTW, that pic is an old one, it best represents the opening I have. I actually have 4 of the drivers.

I agree. I am not really liking those numbers. How long would a port have to be to tune to 5hz? Could I make the whole space act like a box sub? I can effectively completely seal the space as good as a boxed sub due to it being soild concrete walls ,floor and ceiling. I also have a sealed sound proof door which is air tight as well.

Edit: I gave you the wrong link for the driver I have.

My build thread

post #5 of 33 Old 12-04-2013, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Also I should mention, I have plenty of bass above 20hz to 70hz, it is below that that I want to see some more Db's, especially around the 5hz mark.

My build thread

post #6 of 33 Old 12-04-2013, 11:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:

but at these frequencies, and at this scale, i'm also not sure which room is actually being ported. that is actually something that i never thought about...if the rear and the front room are both the same size, does the port somehow get another 6db or something from both rooms resonating at the same frequency?

Fascinating question.

One thing which would seem to be the case is that equal volumes on both sides of the port means equal air springs on both sides, so the port will have to be longer.

Not sure what else is going on or what the net effect is.

Noah
post #7 of 33 Old 12-04-2013, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hey man, just was thinking about this in another thread. Hope I don't sound like a salesman by now but if you have the cash get a rotary woofer to fill in below 20Hz. You certainly have the volume in your storage area. Just sayin..

SXRDork: SXRD is a technology. My name is Vann. Usernames are for life...
post #8 of 33 Old 12-04-2013, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXRDork View Post

Hey man, just was thinking about this in another thread. Hope I don't sound like a salesman by now but if you have the cash get a rotary woofer to fill in below 20Hz. You certainly have the volume in your storage area. Just sayin..
Actually, I have seriously thought about doing that, I am just not sure about having them come all the way to Japan to do the install.

My build thread

post #9 of 33 Old 12-04-2013, 11:47 PM

Quote:

just looking at some initial models, i'm not sure a 6th order bandpass is going to make you very happy.

for the upper tuned port to contribute much, it has to be fairly close to the lower tune and then spl rolls off quickly above whatever point is chosen. doubling the frequency is still reasonably close and in beast's build that was about 12hz lower / 25hz upper. here it would be ~5hz lower and about 10hz upper, so rolloff would start there and go down. seems like too much wasted bass to me.

however, just a big ole standard ported will pick up about 12db or so around the tuning frequency and that is significant with no loss in spl above the tuning frequency. so maybe that is the best option...at least so far. 12db is more or less the same as four times the drivers and four times the power.

very rough draft, first pass look.

in order to keep port velocity down with 3 drivers, a rather large port may be required. this may be the first build that uses full size sonotube for the port. eek.gif

in any case, here are some max spl plots for 3 xxx sealed, ported at couple different frequencies, and 6th order.

I was thinking about this when the first 6th order bandpass thread originated. Specifically, I was thinking about porting my IB subs to give me more 7 Hz where my electronics were rolling off big time (or so I think). My storage room is approximately 1200 cu. ft. but it is a little difficult to determine the exact volume. I noticed in the simulations that the difference in port length to get the tuning frequency I wanted changed significantly with enclosure volume. If I remember correctly, I'm talking about a 6-7 inch port at 1000 cu. ft. versus a 4-inch port with 1200 cu. ft.

I'm pretty sure I've decided not to do it due to the sensitivity of tuning frequency with IB volume. You may want to consider this.

post #10 of 33 Old 12-05-2013, 12:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

"I'm pretty sure I've decided not to do it due to the sensitivity of tuning frequency with IB volume."

that's not a show stopper by any means. just build and test a couple ports to dial in the length to hit your target tuning. around tuning the driver will move very little compared to frequencies on either side.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #11 of 33 Old 12-10-2013, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks for all the help LTD02, but I think I am going to go another route.

Does anyone have the email of EMINENT TECHNOLOGY? I could not find it on their web site? I am going to see if the rotary woofer will be viable in my room.

http://www.rotarywoofer.com/

My build thread

post #12 of 33 Old 12-10-2013, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 71
| INFOATEMINENT-TECH.COM |

Hidden in plain sight, bottom of the page.

info@eminent-tech.com

Here is a better link to the TRW-17:

http://www.eminent-tech.com/main.html
post #13 of 33 Old 12-10-2013, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmike View Post

| INFOATEMINENT-TECH.COM |

Hidden in plain sight, bottom of the page.

info@eminent-tech.com

Here is a better link to the TRW-17:

http://www.eminent-tech.com/main.html
Thanks, I am so stupid... most of the time.

My build thread

post #14 of 33 Old 12-11-2013, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:

In my memory kryptonitewhite built an IB sub, put a huge sonotube port in it, and shook his ceiling fan so much he had to put 2 x 4's in room so the ceiling would not fall down??

this thread?? or another?
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1337645/1003-cubic-feet-5hz-tuning-gotta-make-history-properly/60
post #15 of 33 Old 12-11-2013, 10:12 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave View Post

Also I should mention, I have plenty of bass above 20hz to 70hz, it is below that that I want to see some more Db's, especially around the 5hz mark.

5hz huh? Hmmm. That's a tricky area. Signal chain roll off is CRITICAL at this point. You MUST get this in line before anything else. Otherwise you're just throwing away money.

After that maybe think about a true rotary sub system. Anything resonant is not going to give you more 5hz and down, imo. At least, not worth the trouble imo.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #16 of 33 Old 12-11-2013, 10:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

have you guys looked at the specs on the rotary sub? spl is only 115db or so...

Listen. It's All Good.
post #17 of 33 Old 12-11-2013, 10:39 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Dave, I've planned on implementing some Crowson transducers under my seating riser(s) for the last couple years, ... maybe you could beat me to the punch, no? By many accounts, the properly time aligned tactile transducer system blended with a killer acoustic transducer system is perma-grin material.

Scott knows of what he speaks, besides 5hz audibility begins somewhere around 110dB, ... tough stuff. Granted, if any room is ripe for it it's your wonderful room.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #18 of 33 Old 12-11-2013, 10:49 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:

Heheh. Like I've been saying for the past couple years. When in doubt.... quadruple. biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

Dave, I've planned on implementing some Crowson transducers under my seating riser(s) for the last couple years, ... maybe you could beat me to the punch, no? By many accounts, the properly time aligned tactile transducer system blended with a killer acoustic transducer system is perma-grin material.

Scott knows of what he speaks, besides 5hz audibility begins somewhere around 110dB, ... tough stuff. Granted, if any room is ripe for it it's your wonderful room.

This is the alternate choice and probably the better as it would save Dave a TON of money. A nice transducer system would be great to get that 10hz and down. Still, though, the signal chain roll off is very very critical here.

Living with an HT room that has a concrete floor, I'm thinking of doing just this. Most likely going to start with a bare riser and then add transducers all of which would be controlled by either a DCX or MiniDSP system.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

post #19 of 33 Old 12-11-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 507
$1k for a shadow 8 dual? one for each couch? Meh, I'll just buy 8 more SI's and stick them nearfield. Fixed

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #20 of 33 Old 12-11-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Living with an HT room that has a concrete floor, I'm thinking of doing just this. Most likely going to start with a bare riser and then add transducers all of which would be controlled by either a DCX or MiniDSP system.

In case you're not already aware, be sure to put isolators under the riser to allow it to move and not mechanically short it to the slab.

Noah
post #21 of 33 Old 12-11-2013, 11:58 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

In case you're not already aware, be sure to put isolators under the riser to allow it to move and not mechanically short it to the slab.

Hey thanks, Noah. Yeah, I have read a bit about it. Not a ton but it was recommended that I use some isolation feet of sorts. I have carpet that is medium to thick so I'll have to figure what's the best to get ....when I get around to it. tongue.gif

Right now my HT room is empty-ish as I transition. cool.gif I don't want to thread crap on Dave's thread about it though. wink.gif

A simple riser is definitely on the list.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #22 of 33 Old 12-12-2013, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

5hz huh? Hmmm. That's a tricky area. Signal chain roll off is CRITICAL at this point. You MUST get this in line before anything else. Otherwise you're just throwing away money.

After that maybe think about a true rotary sub system. Anything resonant is not going to give you more 5hz and down, imo. At least, not worth the trouble imo.
My signal chain is pretty good down to 3hz, that is where roll off begins. No clone Amps here, I own the real thing. wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

I would need some quality transducers, as I already have 'buttKickers' and they make too much mechanical sound and distract me. So I turned them off. My other thought was to make a 1" riser and couple it too a couple of LMS 18" ultras????
Quote:

Yes, I am very disapointed with the Rotary sub's output, so I won't be going that route.
Quote:

Right now my HT room is empty-ish as I transition. cool.gif I don't want to thread crap on Dave's thread about it though. wink.gif

A simple riser is definitely on the list.
My threads don't get derailed, they evolve. So anything goes!

My build thread

post #23 of 33 Old 12-12-2013, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
JD,

I have the Crowson brand and they work really well. Sometimes I even use them for music. They send a vibration much like a nearfield 30-80 hz sub does.

http://crowsontech.com/go/crowsontech/3472/en-US/DesktopDefault.aspx

And the AVS thread is here.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450832/the-official-crowson-tactile-motion-actuators-thread/0_50

Hope this helps,
Moto
post #24 of 33 Old 12-12-2013, 05:34 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave View Post

I would need some quality transducers, as I already have 'buttKickers' and they make too much mechanical sound and distract me. So I turned them off. My other thought was to make a 1" riser and couple it too a couple of LMS 18" ultras????

The Crowson transducers are, by all accounts, quality ... and way beyond the typical shakers.

Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #25 of 33 Old 12-12-2013, 05:51 AM

From what I understand they work differently than the other brands.
I have definitely never heard them make a sound that they weren't supposed to and have run the WOW pod scene numerous times.

I don't have much cred here but Craig John does so you should read his comments smile.gif.
post #26 of 33 Old 12-14-2013, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Bought 4 of the Crowson actuators and 2 amps. So I will see how things go.

My build thread

post #27 of 33 Old 12-14-2013, 04:09 AM

You don't waste any time do you Dave smile.gif?

I think you will be happy with them, if not should only cost you the shipping assuming Crowson doesn't cover return shipping from Japan. And if they do even better.

I ended up crossing mine at about 25hz, but of course you will need to experiment.
post #28 of 33 Old 12-14-2013, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX48 View Post

You don't waste any time do you Dave smile.gif?

I think you will be happy with them, if not should only cost you the shipping assuming Crowson doesn't cover return shipping from Japan. And if they do even better.

I ended up crossing mine at about 25hz, but of course you will need to experiment.
LOL, Yeah, no point in beating around the bush.

You need to cross these things that low? I think I will have to read that thread you linked.

My build thread

post #29 of 33 Old 12-14-2013, 03:52 PM

I'm not sure where everyone is crossing them but I go that low because I have a nearfield sub from 30-80 for those frequencies. I probably have them crossed at 30 or 35, I would have to check.

I really need to do some serious testing with mine and get it just right. Every time I think I am going to do that I change something In the theater. Building a new baffle wall right now, if I had known what a job it was going to be I might have rethought it.
post #30 of 33 Old 12-14-2013, 10:47 PM

I'll be interested to hear what you think. I'm contemplating going the same direction to get more tactile but have not jumped in to experiment yet.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page